1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New, want to see a pic?

Discussion in 'The HCRU Family Photo Album - Say Cheese.' started by erksh, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erksh

erksh "Never Molted"

2. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

He's a cutie!

3. erksh

erksh "Never Molted"

Thanks! Here's where he lives (ignore the broken froggy hygrometer -- this is a 7 year old's tank, we must make concessions on stuff in the tank occasionally ;)).

Shells are out for boiling -- they were full of poops.

There's a lot mor eroom to wander than you can see from front on -- this is a 20 gallon tall and we have teeny to smalls.

[​IMG]

4. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

I LOVE the spongebob stuff! My 4 year old went NUTS when he saw this pic, I may have to get the pineapple for our tank lol

5. erksh

erksh "Never Molted"

This tank was my 7 year-old's birthday present and is in his room, hence the Spongebob.:)

They only fit small crabbies -- the doors are narrow, especially the pineapple.

Our larger crab (you can see him down front under the cholla) actually sits on top of the Squidward hut occasionally. He prefers to hang out in the plants.

6. Krabs

Krabs "Never Molted"

The Spongebob hideys are awesome! Where'd you get them?

7. erksh

erksh "Never Molted"

At a local pet store, not a chain.

I've never seen them in the Pecto-type places.

They were $7 each.

They had the little vinyl characters, too, in their fish sections but we passed on those.

8. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Apparently they sell it as an aquarium start up kit I just found them on Ebay lol

9. Krabs

Krabs "Never Molted"

I'll have to get looking! Whenever I get smaller crabs I'll definitely get those. After seeing your corner level, you've inspired me to do the same, lol.

10. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wow that looks great! If that teeny crab on the log is you BIGGEST I don't get how you ever find them! I sometimes loose track of my jumbo!:rolleyes: That hut with the guy and the open mouth is awesome!

11. erksh

erksh "Never Molted"

Thanks!

That hut is Squidward's house (from Spongebob).

The little guy on my hand (and also under the choya in the tank photo) is one of two that size. They easily sit on a quarter. One is very active all the time. One burries all day and motors around at night.

We have a teeny in there who could perch on a nickel.

There's a small molting under the turtle dock right now.

Our largest was a medium and she died -- she was a mercy purchase from the "bad" pet store.

We got two gorgeous crabs from the "good" pet store last night who, after shell changes, aren't very small at all! One is a firm medium and I swear the other looks bigger every time I see him. He is in a green turbo I have had since childhood and he looks awesome. I specifically picked him up because his shell was sad and I KNEW he's like my turbo.

I'm so happy with this pet store. They've gone to lost of hideys and two water dishes and fresh bugs, etc. Not enough substrate, but better than before.

So, grand total now in the 20 is 6 crabs.

We h

12. erksh

erksh "Never Molted"

And no, I didn't ISO them for two weeks...they've all come from the same "good" store (save the molter, who, honestly -- I'm not betting on, from our first round of mercy purchased kid picks from Petco) in the last two to three weeks.

I bathed, I teased 'em out with hand-feeding and scanned the abs. If I get suprised with mites, well, we'll deal.

13. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Those crabs are about the size I try to buy mine at. All four of my Es could sit on a quarter easily when I got them, and one of them was just bigger than a dime. I buy little guys because, even though they molt all the time and scare really easily, they will live longer if cared for right as they are the youngest.

14. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Congratulations on the newest addition to your hermit crab family!!! So, does he/she have a name??? If so, what???

15. erksh

erksh "Never Molted"

Oh, they belong to my 7-year-old and he calls them something different every day! Hermy, Big Jim, Big Green, Pinchy...you name it, he's used it.

Now, my husband and I can sort them out by an attribute and also by what my ten year old calls them, so they are:

Buried Halloween Crab (Lol)
    The Big One
    The active Little One
    The buried Little One
    Tiny Tim
    The One in the loooooooooong shell

16. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

what are the huts made out of?

17. erksh

erksh "Never Molted"

Resin, ala' aquarium decorations...they're one and the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.