1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to this forum and crabs

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by SkyBaby, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

Hey everyone!

I have 2 purple pinchers in a 10 gallon set up and I'm learning fast. I have lots of questions for you guys!

I also have 6 fish tanks and 2 parrots. I have a small zoo it's true. :D

I'll post some shots as soon as I get some good ones. :D

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Welcome to Hermit Crabs ~R~ Us!!! I have 5 hermit crabs named Romeo, Elmo, Juliet, Wasabi, and Smokey. . . RIP: Hermie and Felix. . . They are currently housed in a 30-gallon glass aquarium with 3" of EE (Eco Earth) as substrate. . . They are fed a pelleted crab food and the occassional coconut, brine shrimp, and octopus/squid meat. . .

3. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

thanks! I'm already addicted to crabs! They are so fun! When I learn some more about crab care and get better at it, I want a strawberry crab.

4. Hermies4Ever

I am also waiting until I am a little more knowledgeable and experienced to purchase a strawberry crab. . .

5. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

Cool! You and me can be study buddies then. :D

6. Hermies4Ever

Yea, I'd like that!!!

7. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

Welcome! i'm pretty new here too, let me tell you, it's great! i'm addicted!

I have four PPs in a crappy tank (i'm trying to get a new one!) and three cats. =]

I'd love to see those pictures! and TWO parrots?! wow, i've never seen someone have two =] i was just thinking about that the other day... lol

well welcome, feel free to be my friend, if you'd like! Also i'll answer any questions about anything, i'll do my best to answer!

8. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

Then let's do it! :D

Yup 2 parrots. I am a part of a parrot forum and most members have upwards of 5 parrots!!! I'm a bird person. I have 2 PPs in a 10 gallon tank right now. I just got them almost a week ago and I already want to upgrade them. :D

I'll post pictures as soon as I can. I'll add pics of my fish and my parrots too. :D

9. Hermies4Ever

Okay, yea!!!

10. peach

peach "Never Molted"

hey Welcome to HCRU and BTW hermies4ever personally I'd wait to get a strawberry until your one year mark

11. xAizaOnigirix

wow, awesome! =D !!! (my cat says hi, she pretty much just rolled on the keyboard =] i love birds, but can't get one right now=[ but i'm really a cat person at heart, then hermies and such =] nothing can ever replace cats in my heart, though, lol

12. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

Thanks! ^^ I wont be getting a straw until I am more comfortable caring for them.

That's how I am with parrots. My bettas and hermies tie for the second spot. Hi kitty!! Cats are very fun, but I can't have a cat for a couple reasons- my mom, mother in law, and my brother are extremely allergic to them and two my parrots would not be too happy with me. :p

13. xAizaOnigirix

aw, i'm sorry =[ I dunno what i'd do without my cat, she's done a lot for me (yeah, sounds weird :rolleyes: i am, lol) But it's good you have a favorite animal you can have! so good pick, lol! It's so devestating when you can't have a beloved animal! (it's hard enough not being allowed to get parrotkeets right now! and they're not even my favorite! lol) and TWO parrots... you're on a roll! lol =]

14. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

Us on the parrot forums all refer to our parrots as fids: feathered kids. That's what they are though. Imagine a two year old with a can opener attached to its face and a voice that could peal paint off of walls. Parrots, especially the large ones, aren't always easy pets. Parakeets are some of the easiest. I still have 2 other parrots I want to add to my flock: an african grey and a greenwing macaw. That's if I can convince the hubby though. :p

Cats learn quick enough about leaving large parrots alone. A bite or two is all it takes. ;P Cats and dogs have a bacteria in their mouths that is deadly to parrots, so if the cat cuts the parrot, you have 8 hours to get the bird to the vet and get some anti biotics before poor birdie dies. Especially if the cat was brought in as a kitten and used to parrots, then there wont be very much of an issue. I know some cats that made friends with parrots. It just depends on the individual. I want a cat and I'm trying to work out how to do it too. Just be vigilant about keeping the bird room door closed while the cat is out then put the cat in a separate bedroom and play with the birds for a while. :D I'll PM you with the name of that parrot forum if you're curious. It's fantastic. Sorry for the babbling! :D

15. Hermies4Ever

How big a tank do strawberry crabs need??? Does Vckums have special strawberry crab food???

16. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

I have no idea honestly. I'm still researching. Yahoo is a wonderful thing. :D

17. Hermies4Ever

I like Hermit Crabs ~R~ Us!!!

18. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

lol of course it is! I'll generally try to answer my own questions by researching elsewhere if I can't find the answer to my questions here before I post here so I don't waste anyone's time.

19. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Strawberries are extremely active and love to throw tank trashing parties, so they need gigantic tanks! I think somebody on this forum said that a lady had 4 straws in a 40 gallon and didn't think it was enough! So probably around ten or 15 gallons per strawberry, unless they are jumbo or tiny, but that is a very vague estimate.
    I'm pretty sure Vckums has special strawberry food. :)

20. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Hi! :D Welcome to the forum!! Sorry if you already said it, but what are your crabs' names? It's awesome you have so many animals!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.