1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the world of crabs!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by thetruechina, Nov 9, 2010.

1. thetruechina

thetruechina (Small Crab)

Hi I just recently adopted 2 one small one med i think crabbies. I think they are so cool still working on getting the tank set been doing alot of reading just having a hard time with the temp and humid but getting things almost evened out i think so what do most people perfer for the substrate i read what im using is bad so i know i should switch im useing a 10gallon tank with a screen lid with part glad wrapped then a towel placed over it where the glad wrap is not sure where to find plexi glass or what would be better for a cover. lights no lights, etc :straw:ts etc.

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

playsand from lowes or farm king, has to say play sand and not have that oily petrolium smell like the bags trucks use for added weight or alot of us on here use the eco earth or eco earth and sand mixed.
    I like my aquarium fish tank lid that has the flip lid on one side, has a light bulb area.I use a moon glow bulb to add extra light and a little more heat. You need to have a under ground heater mounted on the end of your tank on the back side if you haven't already. I think there is a size chart on here some where, but I think it's 3 x's your tank size if your tank is a 10 gal then you need one for a 30 gal, they don't put out much heat at all! If you need more info stick another post on here if you can't find the sizes so you make sure I'm not telling you wrong. Your humidity level will also depend if you have your substrate moist enough, if you have sand you should have it sand castle consitancy, e.e. shouldn't be drippy wet, but damp and you have to have heat of some sort. They do need a cylce  of light & no light { day time/ night time } just keep asking ?? if you get stumped on something we are all here to help each other out and support each other, even get a little goofey at times! so welcome to a fun place to get crabby at!

3. thetruechina

thanks for having where did u find ur lid i cant seem to find a lid that as an opening large enough to get the water bowls out with out spilling the old water into the tank i have a uth its underneath one side but i dont think its big enough

4. scoobdoo

I have to take my hood light off and flip my whole lid up to change water and stuff, thats the down side of it, but I didn't want the ugly clip on light things. I got my whole tank at a yard sale for  8$. The guy wanted 12, but told him I only had 10 and there was an other thing I wanted so he let me have it.
    if I am reading your post right you have the uth under your tank? you don't want your uth under your tank, you want in mounted on the back side{ on the out side} above your substate level at one end so they will have a warm end and a cooler end part of a tank. Under the tank as the directions state  can't warm the air enough, it's just warming the spot where the substarte is and if your crab buries to molt where that spot is he can get over heated and die. I don't know if you can peel it away very carfully and maybe reattach it with velco?? If I have confused you please contact vickie on here or one of the admin. to get you on the right track, pictures are worth a thousand words to, it will help to why your temp & humidity isn't right & other issues you might have & get you to happy crabbing place

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

If it is a hood for a 10 gal. tank you are talking about they have them at wallmart. I had to buy one when I got my betta fish.

6. thetruechina

thanks ill see what i can do to get the uth off the bottom im still thinking the one i got is too small for the tank i knew they had to be warm they were still in the kit box that they come in when i took them and i knew that wasnt right so now im just trying to get all the info i can to take care of the but dont break the bank

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

:welcome:

8. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

a uth doesnt do much for heating the surface temp. It mainly heats the substrate. You would have to put the uth on the outside of the tank above ground level to generate any heat on the surface. I have a LARGE tropical uth on the bottom. It only gets warm so if there are any molters they can stay warm. In the winter it gets a little chilly on the bottom. But I do have a small desert uth on the side of the tank below the shower caddy where they sleep. And a heat lamp also.

9. thetruechina

so do u think if i get another small uth for the side would be ok until i can get a hood

10. scoobdoo

I have 2 small uth  , one on the back, one on the corner so it makes a wrap around. I have a 20 gal tank. just keep something over the top to keep them from getting out and to keep most of your heat in and humidity in

11. thetruechina

ok i keep a towel over the top and my screen top is partially covered by glad wrap going to get some things for the tank tomorrow im hoping they will be more active oncce i get their tank rredone