1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the site... some questions...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by katyfirebird, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katyfirebird

katyfirebird Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi everyone! I've had 2 purple pinchers for 2 years. I ended up with them b/c a co-worker's kids didn't want them anymore and was going to throw them out. Being an animal lover, I said I'd take them having no idea how to care for them. They're in an aquarium with lots of sand and they appear to be healthy and happy. They have lots of empty shells to play with. I thought that was all that had to be done for them, until I recently really started to research them online for the heck of it. Anyway, to make a long story short, I read up on molting and I'm beginning to be concerned b/c my little guys have NEVER molted!! I must admit, I don't have a heater in the tank or a humidity gauge or anything - just sand, shells, branches, water, a sponge and food. But, I must be doing something right if they've stayed alive and active for 2 years, right? I wonder why they're not molting though. Do all crabs molt? If so, how often?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

No actually you have been lucky---but when they do molt you may find its too much for them. BUT you should be providing what they need regardless as all may fair well. So since you have been researching please add enough moist sand 2x the largest crab- get them some quality salt water not the junk they sell for hermies. They need the salt to molt and yes they all molt and they molt often when small and as they grow will molt less. I dont know their size but they should be molting every 3 mos at least- if bigger then every 4-6 mos etc etc
    They need a fresh diet not commercial pellets etc as it is not really good for them. Read up there is lots of info here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.