1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the scene

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by hulyan, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I think the most important thing right now for your crabs is to get deep enough dishes for them. They need to be able to submerge in them up to at least eyeball level - it's how they keep their gills wet and get their shell water to the right salt concentration level. You can get bowls at any pet store (look in their hamster/guinea pig section as they have good ones there) or even at stores with kitchen section - I use four Pyrex "Custard Bowls" that I found at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $8, I think. It's nice because I have two for the main tank and two for the ISO or to switch for the other bowls to get cleaned more thoroughly.

2. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

Don't hermit crabs drown?

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

if you make sure they have a way to get out they will be fine (like coral//rocks)

4. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

They shouldn't drown if they have a clear path out, and remember they are used to living by the beach so they better know how to get out of high tide and situations like that. They actually like fully submerging sometimes(some species more than others, for instance Strawberry hermit crabs love to be underwater and Indo hermit crabs usually hate the water, being careful and dipping only their claws in to drink.).

5. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

it might be awhile like a week or 2 i still need to get some stuff from the store.

6. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

Is the salt test the only way to calibrate a humidity gauge?

7. emmac350

Not if they have a way out. Even the ones that aren't happy with being submerged (Indos especially from what I've heard) can stay underwater for ten minutes or so without drowning. I've seen pictures of PPs swimming underwater for thirty minutes, just walking around on the bottom like nothing's wrong. I've read about peoples' hermies (Straws, usually) staying completely underwater for 4 hours or more. You can use anything from a broken shell to a piece or two of aquarium tubing to give the crabs a way out of the water. I use broken conch shells I found at the beach last year, and even though my water's 2 inches deep and my smallest crab's shell opening is .25 inches, I've never had problems. If you use a bubbler or air filter, the hose for that is actually enough to allow the crabs to climb out - mine loved climbing on the tubing.

As for other ways to calibrate a humidity gauge, I've never heard of anything but the salt method. It works well, though.

8. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

Should it be a fresh water or salt water pool?

9. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Welcome! :) Sorry for responding so late!

10. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

haha thank you. :D

11. emmac350

They need to be able to submerge at least up to their eyeballs in both salt and fresh water. I know someone with a 126 gallon tank over at the Hermit Crab Addiction forum who uses the smallest sized Critter Keepers (you know, the ones they sell as homes for crabs) as her water bowls together with a water filter to keep the water clean as she can't take them out to change the water very easily.

12. MissHaze

MissHaze "Never Molted"

Welcome. I hope you enjoy your little shelled wonders.

13. Laughs O Lot

Me too! I use a tiny critter keeper (less than a gallon) that I got Buddy in on vacation just for the ride back home as a water bowl! It's so small a hermie hut didn't fit! I had to put it sideways. But don't worry, most of the ride I let Buddy play on my lap. This critter keeper is definitely the smallest size! I hope when somebody buys that whoever works in that store tells them it could only be used for the trip back home.

14. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

I can't find crab cakes. I think he might be buried underground. Any advice?

15. emmac350

Leave him alone - maybe he's molting, maybe he's destressing...whatever the reason, he needs some peace and quiet. Keep putting food and water in as normally, and maybe he'll surface in a month or so with a brand new exo on for you!

16. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm worried that since i dont have an iso and if he's molting, my other crab may come after him?

17. Laughs O Lot

I know how that feels! When I can't find a crab I go CRAZY! I totally mess up the tank looking for them and then start searching with a flashlight (not recommending that though lol). I don't stop until I find them because I'm so afraid they escaped or something.

18. emmac350

See, you just need to get a bunch of itty bitty crabs (.25 inch openings or so) and put them in your tank. With as often as my 6 tiny crabs molt and as easy as it is for them to hide, you get really used to not seeing them. It kind of makes me sad, but I'm glad that they're getting the nutrition that they need so they can molt so often and get bigger (so I can see them more!).

19. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

i am happy to announce that after nearly 3 weeks that Crab Cakes is now out from the sand. He didn't molt, but just destressed i guess.

20. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Congrats! I'm glad he's back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.