1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the scene

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by hulyan, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi my name is julian. Im from Jersey City, NJ and recently bought 2 hermit crabs from Hilton Head, SC. I'm 19 years old now and previously owned hermit crabs when I was younger. I plan to come on this forum for help with the crabs and will be looking forward to all of your input.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

WELCOME glad to have u- read the stickies on the forum especially the one "I have new crabs now what do I do?" lots of great info here :D

3. Livada

Livada (Micro Crab)

Hi! Welcome! :D What are your crab's names?

4. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

Welcome to HCRU! i cant wait to see pics of your babys!

5. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Hiltion Head!!!!!!! i love SC!!! go there for vecation every 2 years!!
    Welcome to Hcrus.com
    What your current set up like?

6. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Welcome to Hermit Crab R Us and I live on the top of SC!

7. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

My crabs names are Crab Cakes aka C.C. also known as Sabathia, and Aquafina Green (an insider). My current step up is a 10 gallon tank with sand from the beach in SC as the substrate. I currently don't use a heater or lamp. My dad is going to make a lid for the tank out of plexiglass. Inside the tank I have a hydrometer which I'm not sure is reading right, 2 feeder shells, one big shell as a water dish, a little log, a jungle gym I built out of k'nex. I also have instant ocean salt water that i havent mixed yet.

I'm pretty up to speed as for what i need for these crabs, but I'm open to listening to all your imput to help improve living conditions for them. Thanks.

8. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

My crabs are Crab Cakes aka C.C. also know as Sabathia and Aquafina Green (an insider). I have both of them in a 10 gallon tank w/o a lid. My dad is planning on making one out of plexiglass. I use sand I got from the beach during my time in SC as substrate. I use two feeder shells, one big one as a water dish. I also have instant ocean sea salt in preparation to make a salt water pool. Theres a little log and a jungle gym I created out of K'Nex for them to climb on. I have a hydrometer, which I'm not sure is working properly, no UTH or lamps to heat my crabs.

I'm looking forward to any input you guys have out there to improving my hermit crabs living condition and overall happiness. Thanks.

9. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    well, as for the heat thing, you can go look at the fourm i posted 'bas i dont have a heat lamp' yes, i know its suoposed to be 'bad' haha. Anyways, you will see why i dont have a heating object. And, my dad is also making a lid out of plexi glass for my 20 gal! and my other 10 gal....I would sugjest you calebrate your gauge. i found out mine was 10% to high, i thought the whole time it was 90% when it was 80%!! Witch was good news for me. Plus, i would get a bigger fresh water pool. then you can have two shell food dishes, thats what i have. i use one for fresh and one for dry food. And a tip: for shells, i went to hobby lobby and for 6 bucks (i got two packets:diffrient) I got dozons of shells, all in the size range i needed them! I still have to buy larger ones for my two mediums, though. But you dont have a great size range, so it shouldent be a problem. And, might i add, my hermies love the two moss pits i have for them that i also use as shell shops. (one is a second levele) mine also love there coco hut. then i have some wood pices they are always under. So, there is alot of ideas.

*i personaly use ocianic salt mix, i like it because it comes in smaller batches that i also use for my saltwater aquarium.

10. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

I failed to mention that there are a couple of shells in the tank, unfortunately one is painted and I have 2 feeder dishes for food and one water dish. I plan on buying a thermometer and will invest in a moss pit. I want to create a 2 level in the tank and maybe throw in a couple of nets for climbing. I will mention tho that I am a bit hesitant on buying items online. Its a personal irk i have, not quite sure, but hey that could change.

11. Crabby_Crazy

well, take out the painted shell, and try and go to your nearest craft store! hobby lobby, had a bunch of nets, shells, and food dishes (clam shells). also some cowla wood! (sorry, i know its spelt wrong) and how deep is the fresh water dish? I personally dont like buying online either!

12. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

The dish isnt deep enough to be full submerged. Theres a pet store around me that sells a pack of 3 shells for a little more than $3. i want to buit a hut that also will be the 2nd floor to the tank. I'm not too sure on how I can go about that, but I'll see. Planning on making the 2nd floor a sun deck of sorts, possibly adding a pool.

13. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

how do i calibrate my hydrometer?

14. HermitPaws

you can use plastic Shower caddys For a second level, just make sure it has no metal. also see the safe woods list befor you go about building a hut (that is if its made of wood)
    as for a pool you can us Tubaware and puit a stick in it so they can climb out.

Happy crabing!

15. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

Welcome :)

16. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

Heres pictures of my current tank set up. Im not sure if theres a cause for concern, but there is please let me know.

Attached Files:

17. HermitPaws

look like me when i first started!! hehe.. i don't see any thing wrong with having the biulding stick things in there, but you may want to watch it crab will eat anything, and i mean anything!

18. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

alright sounds good. I'm just waiting to see what you have in store for your 2nd floor introduction. My crabs dont move around a lot. I think its due to the low humidity. Im not sure how to calibrate my humidity gauge, but once I get a lid and make a moss pit I'm pretty sure the humidity will boost up.

19. Crabby_Crazy

ya mine love higher humitity. some like lower, depends should be around 75% to 80% mine is at 80%. And mine LOVE thier saltwater pool.

20. hulyan

hulyan Hi, I'm New Here!

For my humidity gauge I just took it out the box and placed it in. The back of the box didnt mention any other instructions. I worried that the reading is wrong. For reference I'm using the Exo Terra Analog hygrometer. Please help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.