1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to site, and new to Hermit crabs... help!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by JPdawn, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPdawn

JPdawn Hi, I'm New Here!

My daughter brought 3 hermit crabs home. What I know, I've had to learn FAST thru webpages. I've done what I can to provide them with an ultimate environment, but none of them seem to eat anything. The two smaller crabs were hanging out of thier shells looking horrible, and when I picked them up the little one fell completely out. Upon close inspection, they had little "wormlike" things crawling on thier bodies. These worm things are roughly a centimeter in length. I quickly pulled the dead crabs and shells out of the tank, and put them in a small isolation tank.... hoping that maybe they were molting (but with the worms I didn't think it was likely). 2 days later, the littlest one had just molted!! Sadly, the other really is dead. I have looked and looked trying to find out what these worm things are... does anyone know?

2. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Well those worm looking things are all a Problem to Hermit Crab Keepers. They are Baby Mites...and they kill hermit crabs. When a Hermit crab dies you will smell a fish like smell around his shell and on him/her. Hermit crabs Usually eat at night and when they do they eat in very little Amounts. Hope that helps some.

P.S. Welcome to HCRU!

3. hawkins07

hawkins07 (Micro Crab)

Sorry about your hermie! Hermit crabs like to eat lots of different things and each crab is like a child they have specifics they like. HOwever I have found that all my crabs eat peanut butter. But it has taken me a good month to find out what they really like to eat and what they hate! A lot of ppl have really good web pages with little treats that you can mix and that they eat!

4. JPdawn

JPdawn Hi, I'm New Here!

Peanut butter???? I've tried several different fruits, veggies, and pet store boughten hermit crab foot and treats but its always still there in the morning. I take the fruit and veggies out and try something new the next night. Was kinda excited to see that the littlest one didn't die, but sad about the one that did. I'm most upset about these worm things..... how do I get rid of them for good? I changed the sand and coconut bedding, and boiled all their "toys", given them a bath (the largest one still hasn't come out of hiding since his last bath).. and I have to admit, these worms are really gross looking, kinda like brown magots. YUCK!

5. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

That is gross, but it sounds like you did what you could to get rid of them....I guess that's why most people iso new crabs! As far as the food goes...I don't use any pet store "hermit crab food" b/c of the nasty additives that are harmful to crabs. For great feeding ideas go to epicureanhermit.com! And yes, pb is ok for them as long as it is 100% natural and has no added salt!

6. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Sorry about your loss of a little one and those stinking mites.

Crabs really eat VERY little. I once saw my biggest crab eating a small piece of fresh pineapple. Every time I glanced her way for the next hour or so, there she was, picking off strand after strand from the pineapple and putting it in her mouth. YEA -I had a crab that was eating. When she was out of sight I looked at the piece of pineapple. You could hardly tell that she had touched it at all!

There are several more good sites for homemade, organic, 'crab tested' food. And at very reasonable prices.

thecrabbagepatch.com
    http://www.elsshells.com - Welcome
    www.happyhermit.com
    www.thehermitcrabaddiction.com

Good Luck!

7. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

My Batman has been in the worm poop ... aka crabbie crack ... for about 2 hours and it looks like it's all still there! I see him eating it though!

8. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

That is far and away my crabs favorite food. I keep some in the tank at all times and replenish it as needed.

9. msdiamonddawg

Hmmm, I hear they can get addicted to it though (hence the name crabbie crack!) and won't eat anything else. That's why I only give it to mine like once every few weeks or so ...

10. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

What is crabbie crack? The natural peanut butter?

11. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I was wondering the same thing, Mallie!! What is Crabbie Crack??

12. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

nah she said worm poop--its a fav of hermies---you should get some :D

13. Mallie

Why do I feel like someone is pulling my chain!

I want links to this "worm poop"!

14. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

STOP it :D Vicki sells it and the crabbage patch its called soil supplement there--Vicki calls it Hermit Crab Addiction - EARTHWORM CASTINGS
    earthworm castings which means poop!

15. Mallie

I should put in a request for specifically what it is.

"Dear Vikki,
    What exactly is a "casting". Could you please give me an detailed outline of the ingrediants in these castings.
    Thanks you

Mallie"

LOL

16. alli'smommy

Is it good for them, or just a "treat"? What is the specific name so I can look for it in the store?

17. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Come on peeps I gave you the direct link! Doesnt get easier than that- :D (see above) honestly its just worm poop thats all, they love it- I give it to them 1-2 xs a week

18. msdiamonddawg

It's worm poop, plain and simple! Not kidding!

They do LOVE it. Batman ended up finishing the entire clam shell full all by himself! Time to order more myself ....

19. Mallie

OH LOL I know!!

I just thought it would be funny to prolong the jokes and giggling!!

20. alli'smommy

It's not that I didn't believe you, I just felt silly asking for "worm poop"!! Wow, if they love it that much, I gotta get some!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.