1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to hermies - got a 'small' problem with foot...

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Freddy, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

By the way, I love the names you gave your crabs! :)

2. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks=) I like giving my pets original names, makes it more fun to have them:p

Anyway, I have read all that you gave me, and was looking for it the other day (lost the link-.-), so thanks for giving me that checklist again! The last crab I got is looking healthy at least, it looks like he is hiding under some kind of.. Don't know the English word of this, but could the right name be; bark? Thats the Norwegian name, and I checked a spelling program called 'Clue' but it had many meanings in english=P

I will call the pet store tomorrow, and claim two new crabs.. Or a refund so I can buy some new crabs from another store. I'm not giving up crabs - at least not yet:D

I didn't know about the ISO thing, but I'll keep that in mind when I get new crabs. But don't the crabs get even more stressed by switching tanks when it gets used to one?

Fredrik/Freddy

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

WAIT were they fiddler crabs???????:eek: perhaps

4. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

not to be stupid, but what's a fiddler crab?

5. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

"Fiddler crabs are small, semi-terrestrial crabs of the genus Uca that are characterized by extreme cheliped asymmetry in males. They are most closely related to the Ocypode (ghost crabs)."

Source: www.fiddlercrab.info

:)

And btw, they had some crabs.. But the crabs was not fiddler crabs - and they lived in full water, zero land in a different tank. If you don't know what a mudskipper is, Hermez, look here: Mudskipper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Its a fish that lives in very high humidity on land, and need brackish water to swim in, though they live half their life on land).

Fredrik/Freddy

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  6. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

Oh, and I forgot to say: The last hermit crab was active whole night! I know, because I was 'sleeping' like a foot away from the tank-.-, so I heard A LOT of digging:D *Not much sleep tonight:p*

Fredrik/Freddy

7. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

ISO'ing a new crab is pretty important...and helps with PPS. Read this:

Post-Purchase Syndrome

A newly purchased hermit crab has some special requirements for its first month. First, it’s very important that you not move your crab immediately into the main tank. In most cases, the pet store conditions where not nearly as good as your main tank; they likely had significantly lower temperature and humidity, as well as overcrowding issues, shallow substrate, and unsavory food. Any sudden change in environment, whether for better or for worse, can cause Environmental Stress to your hermit crab. Symptoms include lethargy and dropping limbs, and if untreated, it usually is followed by death within a few days of the leg drop.

In order to prevent environmental stress, we need to start them off in an ISO tank near the conditions of the pet store tank. Temperature isn’t as important as humidity for this, so keep them in an ISO at around 72-75oF (assuming the pet store was within +/- 5oF of that), and start the humidity at around 55% relative. The ISO should have deep sand, with at least part of it moist, and not be overcrowded (don’t buy too many new crabs at once). Keep the ISO in a location where it won’t be subjected to too much activity or noise, but don’t put it near a vent or draft which will cause temperature fluctuations.

Each weak for four weeks, increase the humidity by 5%. The four-week schedule is 55%, 60%, 65%, and 70%. Your main tank should be around 75-80% and 75-85oF, so that will be the last step-up. In order to regulate humidity consistently, you should finger holes into the corners of the ISO’s sand substrate, and pour ¼ cup of conditioned water down them. The water will seep into the lower substrate and maintain a consistent humidity, and provide moist substrate for burying. Now, you can regulate humidity by simply changing the amount by which the lid is propped open. Add new water once every week or two as required. While we’re talking about the lid, if you have pets, make sure your place something heavy on the lid so it doesn’t become a sandbox.

Your hermit crabs will take this month to de-stress and acclimate to the new conditions. They will likely bury into the sand, and you might not even see them for those four weeks. But this is actually a good sign, as it shows that they are healthy enough to dig and de-stress themselves. At the end of four-weeks, you can start transferring surface crabs to the main tank. It is recommended that you do not disturb buried crabs. Provide above-surface shelter such as half-logs or coco-huts and foliage for them to hide under. Feed them a staple diet – not too many treats at first. Clean the water bowls at least every week.

Using the above steps, your hermit crab should not suffer environmental stress. However, if you notice limb dropping or deaths, immediately check for something wrong. For instance, there may be a vent nearby (even if seemingly closed), that turns on at night and blows cold air on them. Or perhaps your humidity gauge is wrong, or the food has spoiled.

If a hermit crab just lies down and passes in his sleep, it may have been a problem beyond your control. If a hermit crab is prevent from molting due to improper conditions for longer than several months, it can build up a toxic level of hormones in its body that is terminal. Or if a crab was kept in extremely dry conditions or given un-conditioned tap water, it could have permanent gill damage. Either of these could take over a month to claim its victim, so your crab might still have looked healthy when you bought it.

For more information on PPS, please read these articles
    http://coenobita.org/xoops/modules/articles/article.php?id=4
    http://coenobita.org/xoops/modules/articles/article.php?id=14

We wish you, and your hermits, the best of crabbing!

Permission granted to print, copy, and distribute this document as necessary to promote proper hermit crab care.

8. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey Msdiamond!

Thanks for the info, it was very interesting! Now I know so much more about the ISO thing:) So when I get new crabs - I'll ISO them.

I'm too tired to call the pet store atm - but I'll do it later. Just came home from work (which also is a pet store:p, though another, good one!)

Fredrik/Freddy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.