1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to hermies - got a 'small' problem with foot...

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Freddy, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

First of all; Hi! I'm new here. Then I would like to present my self; I'm from Norway, and I'm a 17 year old boy. I just gotta say that I love animals - got a male bearded dragon (Bjarne Brøndbo), a female yellow bellied slider (Frida), 2 firebelly newts (Flipp and Flopp), a Japanese treefrog (Frog) and a huge P. Waltl (huge newt from Spain/Morocco), named Flathead (cus of his flat head :p). (R.I.P. Frig - the male Japanese treefrog:/)

I also got into hermies a week ago - got my self a lovely PP from a pet store that kept him well. And today (monday) I ordered two other hermies - all was PP's, don't got screenies - but they are at the size of a man's fist:eek:

I lost my lil' Kermit The Hermit (the first hermies name) out of my hand and right on the floor.. He jumped out of my hand, and landed on the shell on the floor... I know, I should have hold him 'harder' if you know
    what I mean, but he was just way to fast for me to react!

Anyway, I thought it went allright, but when I got back from the store with the big hermies he had lost his walking foot:eek: Will it grow back, or? And I think he lost it cus of stress, if that is possible? Since he felt on the floor...

How long have you had the crab(s) in question?
    - The 'sick' one for a week, but the two others for a day.

Do you know what species they are?
    - Purple-Pincher, Purple-Claw Crab

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?
    - No, I didn't because they looked ok, but they are not the problem - the old one is, and he lost his foot before I got home with the two others today.

Tank Size:
    - 100 liter (about 26 gallons).

Lid Type:
    - Armature with a light on it.

Placement of tank in your home:
    - At my bed room - with all my other animals.

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):
    - About 7 cm of fine sand, moist.

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital
    - Analog.

Placement of Gauges:
    - The heating gauge is at the bottom of the tank, and I don't got a humidity gauge (will come soon..!) but I spray the tank several times a day.

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees %
    - 24-26 degrees Celsius - about 75.2 - 78.8 degrees Farenheit.

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it):
    - Only the light - but my room is very hot so.. But the temperature stays at 24-26 degrees celsius - about 75.2 - 78.8 degrees Farenheit all the day (except nighttime)

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage):
    - not sure what type it is - it is a 25W fluorescent tube.

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide?
    - I got.. 4 places they can hide.

Is there any metal in your tank?
    - Nope.

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank?
    - I got a mangrove drift-wood thingy, and a huge stone.

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?
    - I use water that has stayed for at least 2 days in a bottle before using it on them. But the chlorin isn't a big problem here in Norway:)

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?
    - I don't. It's not necessary.

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use?
    - Instant Ocean salt mix - and a fresh water bowl.

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges?
    - I provide bowls with a sponge and a salt-water bowl.

How many extra shells do you have for each crab?
    - Hmm, let me count^^ About 2 for each crab - will get more soon..!

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank?
    - No, but I can do it asap. Didn't think of that, so I'll do it.

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in?
    - Yes, I bathe them in a small bowl to get the sand of them. Some times a week.

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?
    - Yes. I handle all my pets with clean hands.

How often do you handle them?
    - Every other day or so.

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc?
    - No.

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank?
    - Yes, I let them walk on the floor when its hot on my room.

What types of foods do you feed?
    - I give them salad, with calcium for reptiles on it, and turtle food + fish food that is wet and crushed so its easy for them to eat.

What do you use as a calcium supplement?
    - Calcium for reptiles.

Fredrik/Freddy

Attached Files:

2. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

Aww:(
    Now he has lost his big pincher - the purple big one... What can I do to make him feel not so stressed..? I now count one leg and a huge pinch as a loss on him:(

Please help me, I don't want Kermit to die:/:(

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

if he is dropping limbs that is not a good sign and will most likely die from PPS......just make sure your humidity and temps are steady for now (meaning it cant drop at night too much so get a night heating lamp)- provide good food high in nutrients (NOT necessarily turtle foods they are not turtles) and most of all LEAVE THEM ALONE they really should not be handled for the first few weeks--you have a lot to learn so please read this forum- I dont have time to go over basics with you right now but its all here.

you do need dechlorinator regardless of your water source- READ THIS FORUM- thanks! :D

4. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello, thanks for your answer!

He has now lost the third foot.. The two other hermies are looking fine, and I will buy a heating lamp within two days.

About the water thingy, isn't it enough to keep the water bottled for a few days? I have read that at least, that the chlorine will disappear if the water stays bottled for a while.

But I guess the hope is out for my first hermie...=( And I will read on the forums as you said.

Also I would like to add about the food (turtle food and fish food), that the pet store I bought him in told me it was ok. But I guess I shouldn't trust pet stores..

Freddy

5. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

Btw, I took the heating lamp from my bearded dragon and gave it to the hermies.. The beardie will manage two days without the lamp - but not the hermie I'm afraid:/

6. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

So, assuming he was dead.. and after I put him under water for like, 1 second, then going to bury him 1 min after I putted him under water, he started to move with his legs... Now seriously, what is going on :s I thought he was dead.. Could he be in a molt stage because of the leg losses..? Or has he lost too many limbs to succeed with a molt:/?:confused:

I read that they smell very bad when they are dead, mine didn't.. But he was almost out of his shell, and I touched him and he didn't react at all.. This got to be very stressing for him if he is alive, but I didn't know he was;S Don't think of me as a bad pet owned, I'm only new to crabbing... I have tons of experience with other pets, but I have never kept any pets that is so hard to keep.. What am I doing wrong? I read tons of info before I got him, and he ate at first when I had him in another tank..

*Praying for my little baby*
    Freddy

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2007
  7. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

I'd just leave him be until he passes, if he passes.

And buy some spring water

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Please refrain from the cursing even in code we have kids here - thanks :D

Let him die peacefully- dont keep picking him up (remember LEAVE HIM ALONE)- he will smell like rotted fish when dead.

They do not drop limbs when they molt-and the more you touch him the less and less chance he will survive---the poor thing :( some can pull thru but crabs will become very inactive and hide when they are trying to recooperate- keep reading ok!

9. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

Ah, I'm sorry.. Shall now happen again. Anyway, he have 'moved' into a cave on him self, so I will just leave him alone to let him die on him self. I am not gonna touch him any more - but as I said, I thought he was dead, so therefore I picked him up and was about to bury him when he started kicking.. So I didn't know what was going on, if it was a pre-molt stage or whatever..

I am pretty new to hermies (one week) and the pet store I bought him in kept him in an aquarium with some mudskippers and something to climb on. Not sure if its brackish water or not, but I think it is freshwater.

Looks like I can't edit away the curse word, but you can do it of course=p.

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Hey petstores are the worst for advice they are just trying to make a buck- we all try and talk to the pet stores to help de hermies but--most of the time it falls on deaf ears :(
    we all were new--we all made mistakes just move forward there is so much to learn they are not the simple pet they are made out to be--sadly and that is the most misconceived info.

11. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

So tonight little Kermit had died=( The reason I know is because of.. the stench:( Poor little guy, he will be missed!

I also called the pet store today, asking for advice of why he died.. They told me that no other customers had called about the same issue, and that it was my tank there was something wrong with. Anyhow, anyone know where the problem might be? Because now one of the jumbos has started to loose legs as well:(:( He lost two tonight, and no, I haven't touched them..

The temperature is staying at 28 degrees Celsius all the time, and the humidity is very high (cus of the water on the glass and when I put my finger in the sand, it is moist.) I got fine corned sand - bought on a store I don't remember the name of at the moment, and I got terracotta pots (for hiding) and some mangrove root for them to climb on. I also got a bowl with moss and some water in, to keep the humidity high, and I got two water dishes for them.. Though they haven't touched any of them, and not the food either=( I tried to give them lettuce, fish food and cucumber, tho they didn't want to eat the food..

The pet store told me I could get a new hermit crab, but I'm not so sure if I want to.. If they die all the time, it makes me really sad:( I have, as said, kept many other animals, which should be of more difficult than hermit crabs (frogs for instance), and I am an experienced pet keeper.

*Really sad of the loss of Kermit*

Fredrik/Freddy

12. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Don't get discouraged. It is really hard to learn how to keep happy crabs, but once figured out, they are so enjoyable! I got 2 in May for my 6yr old daughter. Now have 8--all mine!! I have come a LONG way, thanks to everyone here at HCRU--would love to name the ones that "held my hand" through battles, but I am afraid I'd forget one! Just spend lots of time reading the forums and don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how dumb they seem--everyone here wants to help and see you succeed at crabbing.
    Sorry for your loss, and good luck with the rest of the crabs!

13. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Crabs can die from PPS (post purchase syndrome) if you are not up on what to do for them it can happen more. TOO much humidity can drown them. they breathe thru modified gills. Do you even have gauges? You cant guess on humidity.

Losing crabs is part of keeping crabs- they are a wonderful pet once kept in the right enviroment. People have had them 30+ years so it can be done, they can also die for other reasons- that is why I encouraged you to read as much as you possibly can.

If that petstore did not keep them right then they already had a bad start- there is only so much they can handle........:(

sorry about your loss

14. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

hey, thanks for the support.:) I would like to add that when I spoke to the pet store, they told me they had the hermit crab for over a month in the pet store, and that it had to be my tank that there was something with.. But they kept him in water, with only a rock to climb up on, and when he came to me he was active at first, but then he started to loose his legs.. This was before I got the two other crabs (which is still alive, one of them has lost two legs tho..)

I don't got humidity gauges - but they will come tomorrow, when I'm visiting another pet store. I got temperature gauges - and now I can see that the temperature is still 27-28 degrees Celsius (80-82 degrees Fahrenheit). I haven't seen one of the big ones out of his shell all day.. Guess hes just afraid, and I haven't touched him (wont either), he/she is the one that lost two legs tonight.

Anyway, I would like to thank you for the help I got, and I hope that at least these two crabs will survive.

Fredrik/Freddy

15. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

"I haven't seen one of the big ones out of his shell all day.. Guess hes just afraid, and I haven't touched him (wont either), he/she is the one that lost two legs tonight."

That was because he was dead as well=( R.I.P. Honkey Kong as well:( I'm so sad right now, and still I don't know what to do... The last one is active at least (PP) and he has just eaten honey (which he loved!). Now he is in a cave, though.

I recognized that Honkey Kong was dead because of the smell.. That smell is very ill! Anyway, I will call the pet store again tomorrow, and listen to what they got to say (2 days since I bought the two jumbos, and one died today).

It's been a sad day for me. I have lost ONE pet over 6 years - a Japanese treefrog, Frig, because he didn't want to eat. And today I suddenly lost two of my pets, two hermit crabs - Kermit The Hermit and Honkey Kong.. Only Crabzilla left, but he seems very active and is eating (which is good).

Fredrik/Freddy

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  16. Mallie

wait wait wait. . . .

The pet store kept them in water?!

Like, no sand, no forest bedding? Just water and a rock??

In all honesty, your tank sounds fine. And if they pet store is really keeping them in just water, well, there's the issue!

As others have said, don't be discouraged.

17. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I was thinkin' the same thing! How do the crabs not drown???? I cant' believe they had the nerve to slam your tank when OBVIOUSLY they haven't the slightest clue how to care for crabbies!!

18. Mallie

And fred, you cussed again. . .

I realize that some words in Norway are more acceptable then in other parts of the world. But if you ever wonder "is this considered a cuss word" just don't type it.

=P

19. Freddy

Freddy Hi, I'm New Here!

Hehe, guess my English is not the best in the world. Well, I had 5+ in an English exam 10th grade, but thats a while ago=P Anyway, sorry if I 'cussed'.

I just get very sad when a pet dies, and I just bought my 26 gallon for them.. Which costed me a lot of money, and since I'm 'only' a 17 year old boy, I don't got any income:p

Anyway, the pet store ladies sounds very nice, but I guess they just don't know about the general care of Hermit Crabs:/

Oh, and by the way, is honey good for the crab? I read on the forum that it was, but it is sugar in honey (right..?) and that isn't the best for the crabs, or? The crab loved it though:) so guess he knows better than me..

EDIT: Forgot something. There was sand in the bottom of the tank, and it was like 2,5-3 inches of water. They also kept them with mudskippers, and they need brackish water, so if it was fresh water or brackish water I don't know.. But if it was fresh water, also the mudskippers would suffer.

Fredrik/Freddy

20. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Hey Freddy, let me see if I can't help you out a bit. First off, it is said that the bigger the crab, the harder they are to keep in captivity. The big ones are older and are used to their freedom. A lot of crabs also suffer from PPS (post-purchase stress) and losing limbs is usually a good sign of that. When you first get your crabs, we usually have a one-month ISO period. Now I know that sounds long, but they REALLY need that time to destress and get used to living in a tank. It means that you can't touch them, play with them nothing, for one month. They might also bury themselves during this time. You really need to just leave them be. Only go into their tank to change their food and water, that's it.

Let me give you a basic care sheet, that way you know what you need to start off with. Also, this website gives you a long list of foods that are and are not acceptable to feed your crabs (yes, honey is good for your crabs-but organic honey): epicureanhermit.com - Food List

Maybe before you get more crabs you should read as much as you can and make sure that you have the proper set up. And make sure you ask many questions, because we are here to help you! Don't be discouraged...I lost 6 crabs when I first started - until I found this site!

And one more piece of advice ~ don't listen to the petstores! Unfortunately they usually don't have a clue!

Basic Hermit Crab Care Checklist

Hermit crabs are a fun, fascinating exotic pet. Hermit crabs will provide endless amusement, from feeler wars to acrobatic climbing, hole digging, staring at you with those beady eyes, and general crabitat mayhem. Hermit crabs breathe through modified gills, and require that their gills be moist at all times. Therefore, the humidity of the crab tank needs to be kept high or they will slowly suffocate. Below 65% is dangerous (but above 85% promotes mold). Hermit crabs come from tropical regions, and need to stay warm. If the temperature falls below 70 degrees, they become dormant. Hermit crabs have soft, delicate abdomens, and protect them by wearing discarded shells. Hermit crabs spend much of their lives on ocean beaches, and require salt water in addition to fresh water. Finally, hermit crabs grow by molting – the process of shedding their exoskeleton and growing a new one. They require a deep, moist substrate they can bury in, a good calcium source, and high humidity to survive this difficult process.

The official Hermit Crab Association recommends the following supplies (easily found at pet stores and on-line) in order to ensure the health, happiness, and longevity of your hermit crabs:

ü A friend! Hermit crabs are social and will get lonely without a friend or two or ten.
    ü Glass aquarium or terrarium (plastic/wire cages are too small and don’t hold in warmth and humidity).
    ü Glass or plexi-glass cover for the aquarium, or a mesh cover with 90% of it covered with saran wrap to keep in humidity.
    ü Humidity gauge (hygrometer) to make sure the tank stays around 70-80% relative humidity.
    ü Temperature gauge (thermometer) to make sure the tank stays around 75-85 degrees F.
    ü Low-wattage (15-25W) incandescent moon- or night-glow bulbs or under-tank heater for heat.
    ü Playsand or compressed coconut fiber as a substrate, at least twice as deep as your largest crab, and kept moist. Crabs need to bury themselves to molt and relieve stress, and also for fun.
    ü Extra shells – at least 2 of each size needed by your crabs, with round or oval openings the same size as the big pincher – to allow them to grow up, have fun shell-shopping, and to prevent shell fights.
    ü Food dish filled with ethoxyquin-free/copper sulfate-free commercial crab food, fresh or dried fruits and veggies, whole grain foods, cooked egg, meat, and fish, and dried shrimp/plankton (no dairy).
    ü Crushed cuttlebone or calcium-powder sprinkled in the food as a calcium supplement.
    ü Freshwater bowl with a sponge (so smaller crabs don’t drown).
    ü Tap water conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals.
    ü Saltwater bowl with a sponge (to maintain the proper salinity of their internal and shell water).
    ü Marine salt found with saltwater aquarium supplies (do not use table salt; the iodine in it is harmful to crabs). Additionally, the saltwater must also be dechlorinated.
    ü Climbing toys, such as cholla wood, cork bark, coral, driftwood, and wicker baskets.
    ü Hiding shelters such as half-logs, caves, and coco-huts (they need a place to feel safe and relieve stress).
    ü Foliage such as fake plants or true terrarium moss (not Spanish/decorative moss).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.