1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Crabbing :)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by veltish, Nov 11, 2006.

1. veltish

veltish Guest

:cheesygrin: HI! im new to Hermit crabs. just got my two babies yesterday. they are both VERY small.i think one is a "micro" size ( named polo)and one is a "teeny" size( named Billie). Ive done quite a bit of research on the little guys and pretty sure they are both the "E" type of hermits. but they are very small, and im not positive about it. the reason i came to the conclusion is because they have brown and redish bodies with red and blue feelers. also, i dont notice any black spots under thoier eyes( it said that a different similar type had these* forgot what one)

sorry i dont have any pics. i only have a REALLY junkie camera. im going to use it to take pictures of them, but they probably wont be worth showing. i have a knack for trust with animals, the two little guys are already eating from my hands and crawiling all over me. though polo is way shyer, he still comes out to have a snack and play. I was eating popcorn with billie in my lap last night and i was reading about hermit crabs, i heard a squeeky noice and i looked down, i had dropped a crumb of popcorn and the lil bugger found it right away,and was muching down on it! *im sure u can just imagine me glaring down at her in aww.. lol.. great moment for me

right now they are in a round glass aquarium until my 2 baby painters are moved into thier big 75 gal. with one of my other turtles and some fish. then, my hermies will be in a 10 gal. there is no top on the cage they are in, but there is no way they can get out, it rounds in at the top, completely impossible for escaping since they are so small. as for humidity and heat, i have it at about 78 degrees daytime, and 72-74 at night. it is really easy for me to keep these temps without any major humidifiers or heaters becuase i currently keep an iguana and a 30 gal. snapper tank in the same room. i have a space heater running in there 24/7... in other words, when i add the misting my room is pretty much a tropical paradise... very comfortable in there.

anywho..right now there is gravel in thier home..**OOPSIE!! i didnt know when i got them that they needed sand. im changing in all around tonight. they are going to have alive-sand thats for saltwater aquariums. and thier water dish will have added salt called instant ocean( i thought they could have normal tap water..silly me!) i already have that stuff for my boyfriends saltwater aquarium.

well, i have a few questions. how do you know when your lil guy is wanting to move to a new shell/ i onyl have 2 extra shells right now and i think they might be a little bit too big for the next change. i know my Polo is really small for the shell he is in, i actally thoguht he was two times the size of Billie when i first saw them, then i got them to come out and he was way smaller, just in a bigger shell. they are both still small enoguh to fit way back in thier shells, so i dont think they "need" to switch, but i want to have shells in case they feel like it.

well ive jabbered on enough for now..... ( i could go for days) thanks for reading!!!

2. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

Welcome!  What a nice introduction you've given us!  I foresee you will become a great crab-keeper. . . .  Shells provide comfort, protection, and entertainment for your hermit crabs so it is important to give them a good variety.  You can pick up shells wherever you find saltwater aquarium supplies (I was at a reef shop and asked if they had any turbo shells.  They weren't beautiful, but the man only charged me 50 cents each and I got to pick through them and choose ones that were slightly larger than those they were already wearing.  You can also find little baskets of shells at the dollar store and Walmart (near the floral arranging supplies) for 96 cents to $1.  Those work great for the size of your crabs.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:cowboy_grin: WELCOME!! :vinkko:

4. veltish

veltish Guest

:thanks: Silly me! I never even though of the dollar store!!!!!!! :doh:
    B.T.W.--Herm-EZ.. i looked at your photobucket album...LOVE your 75 gal. setup, its amazing.

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Thank you--my goal is to get another 75--keep the 40B for the teenies and have the 20L as an ISO or who knows LOL--crabbies are growing by leaps and bounds!

6. kathleen

kathleen Guest

Hello and welcome!

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

:blower: Welcome!

8. crabcrazy

crabcrazy Guest

Welcome!! :teddybear:

9. veltish

veltish Guest

[move][glow=red,2,300][shadow=red,left]By the way...my name's Ashley[/shadow][/glow][/move]

10. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Hey Ashley, Welcome!  :shake:

11. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

I think I welcomed you in another post, but WELCOME anyway!

Is that your eye in your avatar?  Very pretty!

12. veltish

veltish Guest

yes, its my eye. heh.  i beleive that the eyes are the most expressive part of a person. i do alot of art on them.. also photography (but of all living things, not just people)<---just wanted to add that.

13. Pixiegirl

Pixiegirl Guest

welcome! im still kinda new here too :elephant: