1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tank (w/pics)

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by haunani, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haunani

haunani Hi, I'm New Here!

The crabbies finally moved into their new home. No one was buried, so they all moved in last night. Lots of exploring, but only two left the coco hut area and they only made it as far as one of the treat dishes. Btw- those two LOVE the fruit & flower treat. [​IMG]

It's a 29g with approx. 2/3 play sand, 1/3 EE. Not too much in terms of decoration yet. Some fishnet, vines, driftwood, and a small stump of cholla wood.

[​IMG]

We also found a temporary solution to the jumping cats issue. This is Snowball, our giant stuffed panther.

[​IMG]

2. haunani

So far we have 1 buried crab, Shemp (watched him bury in the EE under the sponge this morning) and 1 shell change. Apparently Moe felt his shell was much too small for him, so he made a switch. His old shell is circled in red and you can see his legs peeking out of his new one on the right.

[​IMG]

Since the cats couldn't jump on top of the cage, they at least wanted to watch from the side. This is Taki, the gentle one.

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of Moe in his old shell climbing down the Coco Hut last night.

[​IMG]

And one of his cute little mug.

[​IMG]

3. haunani

And we are definitely not having a problem with low humidity. I've been keeping the lid propped open to keep it from being too high!! With the lid propped, it's hovering in the 85% range. If I close it, it jumps to around 97%! [​IMG]

This is with a digi gauge.

The temp is currently around 70-72 F. The heating pad we got in isn't working, so we have to exchange it for a new one, along with the malfunctioning digi gauge (we bought two... one for low down and one for high up). Then we'll be set for a little while.

4. haunani

Just felt the UTH again, and it is warm to the touch now, but just barely. How should it feel if it's working correctly? We have the 50-60g size and it is side mounted on the back.

5. lighteningbee

lighteningbee Hi, I'm New Here!

Love the set up! I had a lot of problems with the UTH. They one I got was only 8 watt I believe and it would only get barely warm. I took it back and they gave me another one and it was same way. I finally got a black light and attached to the side and this works great! I do not know what my temp is rights now... my therm. broke and the new one I ordered hasnt arrived, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything is ok in there! I think most people in here use a light for heat though... atleast when I was setting up and asking questions most peoples stayed away from the uth.

6. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

lucky, nice tank, heh your cat looks like mine but mines just a kitten

7. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

Yet?Does that mean someone's going shopping soon?Hehehe.
    I like how your tat has that whole jungle-ish thing going on.The silk plants are a nice touch.
    Those crabs are just too cute!Congrats on the shell change.[​IMG]

8. haunani

Yes, yet. [​IMG] As I find the items, I'll definitely be buying them. I'd like to add some more plants and of course levels and more wood and and and and... of course more crabbies. [​IMG]

My goal is to keep it as natural looking as possible.

9. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

My humidity is too high also, but my temp seems to stay at 76...I have a UTH and a 15watt bulb...any thoughts?

You have the cutest little guys!

-Crystal

10. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Lol! I love the jaguar.

Sweet set up.

11. pineapplemama

Okay so you have a panther to keep the cats at bay...if you had dogs would you use a jumbo wolf? Or like Moire has crayfish...would you get a big lobster...

sorry, I get a bit daffy in the evenings!

-Crystal

12. haunani

I'd hate to find a place for a tank big enough for us to have to worry about the dogs jumping on it! [​IMG] (We have 2 dobermans... 65 and 73 lbs) lol

Well, I got 2 new decor pieces. Surprise surprise, I found them at an area Petsmart for pretty good price. A huge chunk of driftwood for $7 and a nearly as large chunk of corkbark for $6. Now I just have to bake them and figure out where to put them without disturbing the now 2 buried crabs.

13. pineapplemama

As far as huge tanks go...well...some folks get pipe dreams...crabbers get tank dreams!!

You would not believe some of the wacky ideas that have come to me...actually my latest turns out to not be that wacky...Loofa Logs for Crabby Climbing...hollow out an ORGANIC Loofa and hang for the crabs to climb in/around/over/under...etc...

I'm planning on doing a little decor shopping myself...poor me huh?!

Again, great setup, thanks for sharing!

Crystal

14. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Great tank! I wonder how effective Snowball is at holding in humidity. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.