1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pics of tank

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by KirbysMom, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Re: New Pictures of Kirby and JaCi

GREAT slideshow!! One thing concerns me and that is the sand...there is not enough for Kirby to molt in.....will you ISO him when he molts or keep him in the tank? I love the tat-very nice :cowboy_grin:

3. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

I am aware that there is not enough sand. I plan on getting more for him, my only problem is lack of space. If I put much more in he is going to get higher and higher. To truely put enough in for him he will be way close to the top when he is on the sand. I have never seen him try to dig at all to try to molt. I don't think I will ISO him if and when he does molt though since I only have the 4 little girls in there with him who usually just leave him alone. If there are any problems than I will most likely remove the girls from the tank and leave Kirby. I can put the girls in something smaller temporarily but to put Kirby in something may be tough.

Like I said, I haven't seen him dig at all so I figured when he did I would do what I had to do. I really need a bigger tank for him but just don't have it. Unless I can convince my parents to let me use the 30g cube again...lol...I don't know though. I could pile the sand real high there!

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I was not attacking u or anything dont get me wrong but it will be an issue. I hope your parents do let you go back to the 30C--a true Jumbo needs 8 in--I know when I had my bigger guys in the 20L I had to shift everyone around cause the sand was getting too high and it was silly! Now they are better off. Kirby's size will molt once a year so that is good at least--

5. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

I knew you weren't attacking..and it is something I have often thought about. As you said though, luckily he doesn't molt often. By the way, to anyone who reads this, expect a VERY stressed person when he does decide to molt! My golly am I goin to be NERVOUS!!! Anyway, I was looking at the tank last night and I can add maybe another inch and half, two inches but then he is going to touch the bottom of the second level! I will see what I can do and go from there.

The 30g cube is the tank that I got the bugs in, so if I do take it I am goin to want to clean it a few more times to make sure any cleaner and such from removing bugs is gone. It's been a while since that happened though and I got a lot of the cleaner out already.

6. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

YAY! Kirby looks GREAT! In the pics where is sitting outside his tat... he looks so small and tiny!

He looks so cute being such a big guy with all the really little ladies around him! Precious!

Thanks so much for sharing the pics!

7. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

I call him the stud muffin cause he's got all those little girls in there...I lectured him on how not to take advantage of them though! With a big guy like him you never know!

8. crabcrazy

crabcrazy Guest

Those are GREAT pics!! They are all so adorable!!!! :teddy01:

9. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Really sweet pics! JaCi is so cute! Kirby reminds me of my jumbo PP. Only mine was the size of a large grapefruit when tucked in his shell! Also he was not as dark as Kirby. I named him Jaba. If I knew half the stuff I know now back then, I might of still had him today.

Thanks for sharing! :petals:

10. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

I know what you mean Crabaddict...If I didn't have everyone here to help me with all my questions I highly doubt Kirby woudl still be alive. He would probably be in one of those wire cages still sitting on the bottom!

11. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

WOW!!! Kirby looks awsome! What stunning coloring he has! And your little guy is adorable, too! CONGRATSS!!! :dancin:

12. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

Thanks Kathy..

So, I have more sand that I baked this morning..I'm getting ready to head into my room to work on the tank now and hopefully add a couple inches of sand..

Brought home a new little girl from the pet store today too :) She is a PP and I'm not sure what I am goin to name her quite yet. They ahd 3 PP's and one E and all 4 weren't moving. So I picked up this little girl and put her in my hand while I walked around the store browsing. After about 2 minutes she came out and was all over the place. I couldn't put her back in the tank :doh:

Pictures coming soon :)

13. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

Okay...here are some pictures from today. I completely moved the stuff in the tank around and added more sand and the wood from the raffle bucket. Everybody seems content with the setup. Here are some pictures. I don't know if the hight of the sand is quite 8in or not but I really can't put anymore in there now for him. Hopefully he will be happy with it.

[img width=300 height=199]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/shasta112600/Crabs/Crabs%2011-14/crabs11-14012.jpg[/img]

Kirby in the corner
    [img width=300 height=199]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/shasta112600/Crabs/Crabs%2011-14/crabs11-14013.jpg[/img]

Laicee getting some salt water
    [img width=300 height=199]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/shasta112600/Crabs/Crabs%2011-14/crabs11-14020.jpg[/img]

Left side of the tank..the littles side
    [img width=300 height=199]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/shasta112600/Crabs/Crabs%2011-14/crabs11-14015.jpg[/img]

JaCi getting some water
    [img width=300 height=199]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/shasta112600/Crabs/Crabs%2011-14/crabs11-14006.jpg[/img]

Baby Stacey
    [img width=300 height=199]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/shasta112600/Crabs/Crabs%2011-14/crabs11-14005.jpg[/img]

The newest girl...Tracey :)
    [img width=300 height=199]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/shasta112600/Crabs/Crabs%2011-14/crabs11-14008.jpg[/img]

Her shell is way too small so hopefully she will choose a new one soon :)
    [img width=300 height=199]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/shasta112600/Crabs/Crabs%2011-14/crabs11-14009.jpg[/img]

14. AliceInABox.

AliceInABox. Guest

:banana:Congrats on the new crabby! She's beautiful by the way!

15. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

Thanks Alice...I will have to get her to come out of her shell again to get some good pics. I literally walked around the pet store with her for 2 minutes until she came out of her shell :)

16. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Tracey is a cutie.

That sand and substrate look MUCH better now. I wanted to mention the other day that it didn't have to be that high all over the tank, just on one side or big corner area. I don't think you need it to be 8 in, it looks perfect in fact. I saw from the first pic how deep it is with Kirby sitting up there in the corner and it looks at least twice as deep as he is tall, maybe even a bit deeper so I think you did fine.

That's a nice looking 'tat. I was also going to suggest you move that 2nd level to the other side so the sand could be deeper. You figured that out yourself. Looks awesome in there.

17. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

I too think that the sand looks like it should be ok. Wow, the stress you will feel when you wake up one morning and the Kirbster has dug down!

Your tat looks really GREAT! It looks nice and cozy!

Congrats on a job well done!

18. AliceInABox.

AliceInABox. Guest

Yipp. Everything in the tank looks hunky-dory! Do you have a bubbler installed yet? If you don't, you should really try and invest in one. :cheesygrin:

19. OMG! Your sand is soooo deep!

Kirby is so huge! LOL What a great looking crab!

20. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Looks great and congrats on the newbie :pinkhat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.