1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New owner, confused about humidity/temperature.

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Ariant, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariant

Ariant Hi, I'm New Here!

So I inherited a hermit crab from a neighbor who was taking horrible care of him (in a critter carrier, dirty dishes, two identical shells, one painted :mad:) and about a week ago, right when I got a bunch of cool stuff for him, he stopped moving (yes I did leave him alone, I'm assuming he is surface-molting or worse) :(

But enough of that, I have decided I would love to have more hermit crabs, I find them very fascinating. I'm going to buy a 10-gallon tank and house three (probably) hermit crabs in it. Outside it is 90F and 60% humidity, give or take, and inside it is 78F. I presume I should put them inside, but how am I supposed to modify humidity in a tank?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

Spray it daily with declor. water to raise it up, or add sponges with the drinking water, either should raise it up

3. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

I'm actually growing very fond of eco earth's ability to maintain humidity. Now... Im not a fan of dirt getting everywhere, and Im not sure if I'm gonna have mold issues...but I hated the sponges... with the eco eaerth, I don't really need to do anything, and I can not spray for days and it would be just fine, steady at 70some now

4. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

You can get a glass lid, too, if you don't already have one. Poppy and strawberry's suggestions were also great! :)

5. Ariant

Ariant Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sadly my sick hermie just died :(... Going to go out and get a bigger tank and some more crabs, my pet store really doesn't take good care of them, only one water dish and no places to dig!

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I'm so sorry. :( Are you sure he's dead? Once I thought Ocean died and she was really surface molting. Is there a fishy smell? So sorry for asking. :(

7. Ariant

Ariant Hi, I'm New Here!

Yeah he's been laying there for about 2 weeks now (left him alone because I assumed he was surface molting), went today to mist the tank and it smelled :(...hopefully he died peacefully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.