1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Molt on surface - Am I doing the right thing?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Outlaw Alice, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outlaw Alice

Outlaw Alice Hi, I'm New Here!

it's been many, many, MANY years since I had a hermie - My son has two and he either missed the signs of molting, or Dozer didn't give him many signs. He has always been a digger so imagime his surprise at what he thought was a dead crab. I lifted him and saw the pink claw deep in the shell. He's in iso in a big glass container with water, salt water, food and honey along with his exo. I have a towel wrapped around it for dark. I'm scared we shocked him so I hope he's okay. He didn't move when I moved him, so we're holding our breath. Are there any suggestions? oh, his exo is still "soft" how long till i can lift him and check on him?:confused:

2. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

I would not lift him until he starts walking around he is probably VERY sressed.:(

3. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

Hello, First I would go to the "Emergency Care 911" section, & at the top, there is a - Questionnaire form, that you can fill out, then copy & paste it to the post. That way members will have a better idea of what all of the conditions are & it will make it easier for everyone to offer advice:) Is the ISO he's in a tank? & what kind of substrate do you use? & what kind is in w/ him in ISO?
    Since he is already moved, I would make the ISO just like the tank, (without disturbing him as much as possible) Moist playsand and/or Eco would be my suggestion (that may encourage him to burrow & finish his molt). Just for the future - If a crab surface molts, or is attacked, It's always better to try ISO the Other crab/crabs (if possible, sometimes it's not) & let the molting crab stay in his familiar tank. (hopefully you won't need to use this info. though)
    & he may be frightened, a molt is a difficult time for a crab, especially if it's on the surface. But, don't give up on him yet, (not that you would:) you are right on by giving him the Exo & both fresh NC water & salt water. Another thing you can do, is get some "Cuttlebone" (in the bird section @ pet stores & target), & crush some of that up & place it in a small clam shell for him, this is great for calcium & will help boost his energy. You can also add some honey to the cuttlebone as well.
    Also, do you have a hut or hide-a-way that you can place over him? that will make him feel more secure & safe. & the towel is also a great idea too. & make sure his temp. & humidity are stable in his ISO. Otherwise, I would leave him alone for a while. I wouldn't pick him up for now. Wait & see, he will need the time 2 finish & he may also take some extra time to de-stress from it. Small & Slow movements around him are best, if you are changing water, etc. Hopefully he will eat his Exo, gain strength, & burrow 2 finish it up~! How big is he? I hope I have been some help to you :eek: I know that more experienced members will give better advice than me. There is a Vast amount of info. on this site! Check out the "Stickys" - they stay at the top of the threads, & they will have a little blue tack along the row. They provide a great deal of help. I hope all is well, Please let us know how things are going. I wish you the very best & I hope he pulls through for you and your family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.