1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Idea to stop crabs from stealing food!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Mini.Mrs.Crabs, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Heeey crabbie people!!!
    I don't know about you, but I HATE it when I feed my crabs some smelly seafood or fruit or something, and they steal the piece away and bury it so I can't find it which can result in mould, bad smell or bugs. EW! So my mom gave me this great idea! I can use a souvlaki stick to skewer the food onto so that they can't steal it! What I was wondering though, was if souvlaki sticks are safe for the crabs. The ones we have now (didn't use them yet for the crabs), are made of bamboo, and I know some sorts of bamboo can be bad for hermit crabs. So are they safe? Or are there any souvlaki sticks that are made of a safe wood that I can buy?

2. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Lucky bamboo I know is not safe for the crabs. Like the ones sold at a florist, home improvement stores etc. The souvlaki sticks (skewers) are not that type so I'd say they're safe.
    Way to go mini.mrs.crabs mom! Great idea, I'm going to try that myself :amie2:

3. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

YAY! SAFE!
    oh god, how could I have not thought of this before! My crabs get yummy foods, and it's fun to make them little souvlakis, easy to serve, and they can't steal the food!!
    :cheer:

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

i have strange crabs cause they don't drag food off.

5. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

If my crabs drag food off, I have enough crickets to eat the leftovers  :chuckle:
    I had 10 crickets and that resulted in probably about 100 babies that have been devouring everything!

6. scoobdoo

in your crab tank? you have crickets? my crabs would freak, they do not move if there is stuff in there that they re not used to! like a jap beetle, spider, mold, gnats, ect!!!

7. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Do the crickets eat the food in the dishes as well?

8. Klabelle

yeah, between the food in the dish and the food dragged around,
    I don't have to worry about wasted food :D
    the crabs get used to it after awhile.
    The crickets stay on one side (closest to the heat) so they aren't really up and about until they're hungry.
    My crabs didn't like them at first but I've had them in there for 3 months so they've had time to get to know each other I guess.

Actually, my crab hermes was molting about a month ago and when he was getting his strength back,
    he dug the tunnel back up to land. Well a cricket sat guarding the exit so when Aphrodite went to investigate it,
    the cricket came charging out and Aphrodite went stumbling backwards  :chuckle:
    It was hilarious, I didn't expect to see that.

9. scoobdoo

my crabs become petrfied and will not move from their spot if there is something in the tank that shouldn't be there! they sat for days one time until i found the dumb bug in there! so now i know if they don't move in a day i go searching!

10. Klabelle

mine go running into the coco hut when something other than the crickets are in the tank. there was a gnat in there the other day. They're so funny  :hilarious:

11. Frostfire

Frostfire "Never Molted"

I've heard that crickets bite crabs. I really would not suggest keeping crickets with crabs, it doesn't sound safe to me. Plus wouldn't the crickets drown in the water- polluting it for the crabs?