1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New hermit crabs ( going to try again)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Otter, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otter

Otter Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey everyone,

Great forum I am glad I found you. Well here I am one more time trying with hermit crabs I have raised tons of reptiles, plants, birds, and insects but have not had much luck with hermits I love them and have had many and seem to have kept them at the longest about 6 months.

I set up a really cool 29 gal tank and am working hard to get all the temps and humidity in the correct zone humidity a bit low at the moment and temps down to 70 at night but I read when you first get them you need to take the humidity up gradually anyway so hope it is ok. I got them at petsmart and was pretty pleased to see how well they had them set up on coco core and humid and warm if I had one thought it did not look like they had saltwater and fresh.
    But the crabs looked healthy and the girl working there said they had been there for about 2 months.

They are all PP's

I at the moment I have them with fluorescent light and UTH not sure if I want to keep it that way I would think that it would be better to have the air above warm and the substrate as a cooler place for them to hide like in nature. I am also wondering about the temps if the tank is up to 75-80 in the day is it ok for them to go down to 65-70 at night I would think that in nature it would cool a bit at night.

Anyways I am sure I will have more questions and hope this time around I do much better I just love these little guys and have them sitting here in my office next to my computer.

Any suggestions would be great,

Thank you,

John

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Hi, glad to have you!
    Please do not let the temp go below 72. And if Pet smart had the temp up and humidity up when you bring them home it should be about the same as there.It is better to have the heat above ground cause when they molt they do like it a little cooler.
    Again nice to have you at the forum. :hug2:

3. Otter

Otter Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you for your welcome and information.

I have gotten the temps stabilized to about 76 at night.

But still using the UTH I am going to look for a new light for the top that will fit with night time bulb.

So far everyone is doing great eating and active.

John

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Great news! We're happy to have you and your Hermie family join us! :straw:

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

you can go to lowes or walmart and they have the clamp on lamps that will hold the bulbs and they are not very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.