1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hermies

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Missy, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

Today we got two PP from a couple who had kept them in the plastic crab start up kit; the ones that are commonly sold everywhere.

One of the crabs is about 1/2" in size, likes to sleep a lot but is still active when you pick him/her up.

Now the second crab is real small I'd say she is just a little bigger than 1/4". When I first saw them, she was out and about while the other one hid underneath a log. She comes out of the shell as soon as you pick her up and place her in your palms.

Now my concern is that her first set of legs are incredibly thin almost the thickness of a toothpick (I think the toothpick has her beat) and from what I can see it is so frail and weak she relies on her second set of legs to help her get around. From what I can also see she has a really hard time just being mobile. When she walks or turns she relies on the second set of legs which cross over her first set and her first set is left behind the rest of her body making it extremely hard for her to move.

She is currently in an isolation tank that is 15 gallons in size. Her previous home held no humidity and was heating with a desk lamp. The iso has a lower humidity and temperature than my main tank with hopes to make slight increases over the next few weeks.

My question is there anything I can do for her? (i always call the babies her so it may be a boy) Her diet went from T-Rex Crab Island to fresh foods (chicken, pork, egg shells, tomatoes, blood worms, and mango). I have her humidity at 70% and temp 25C. I do not think she can physically borrow herself even if she wanted to :(

I am having a real hard time taking a picture of her (don't wanna stress her anymore than she is) so I will put some up as soon as I can.

2. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

if it seems she is having a hard time digging, i would suggest making a small hole close to her so she could at least crawl into one =/

It might be a deformity caused by food if she had molted before. She might get a lot better after her next molt, as long as she cal survive. Um.. make sure she can easily climb into a hidie, and if she is so weak consider placing a hidie over her and leaving calcium-enriched (eggshells) and protien-enriched(meat) foods RIGHT outside of the hidie so she doesn't have to move much, and then... let her relax, i suppose =/ Good luck!!

and while a picture would be great, i wouldn't risk it if it could harm her health, okay? =]

3. DecAbbersMama

DecAbbersMama "Preparing For First Molt"

I don't think there is anything more you can do to help her along except what you are doing. Working on her conditions to make them optimal so it may stimulate her to molt seems like your best option. Have you thought about using EE instead of sand or anything? My hermies have a much easier time digging down in that then the sand I use as a substrate over most of my tank.

4. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

I'm thinking I'm going to have to keep her in iso for a really long time and change her substrate if she needs to molt she's gonna have to dig but mama's has a really good point. It will probably a lot easier on her if she has EE instead. She's a little trooper though I must say. Out and about and very active even if she is weak =] thanks for the advice :)

5. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

make sure you are offering lots of Calcium in her diet, crushed egg shell on her food, cuddle bone scrapings and the best thing would be a cooked shrimp shell on.
    The biggest thing is to just leave her alone, dont touch her. Let her destress on her own time.
    I think she COULD dig if she wanted too. I saved a crab from petco a couple weeks ago that had ZERO walking legs on his right side and he managed to dig down just fine ;)
    Keep offering fresh food and salt and fresh water and leave her be. thats all you can do at this point.

6. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I say buy a sheet of plexiglas from Lowes and divide the 15 gal between them. That way if she surface molts because she had weak limbs and couldn't dig, she'd be safe. Some people may advise against this, but seriously, if they were both 1/2 inch and less(that's the width of your index finger, and less) I think a 7.5 gallon is a mansion to them.

Also, because they're so small, you could be just thinking that their legs are weak, but maybe they're fine if they're really that small.

7. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

I'm gonna let her roam about for the next few days see how she does. I don't think its just me thinking her legs are weak though. Her claws and 2nd set of legs are like my other crabs but for her first set of legs like I said earlier they are thin like a toothpick and I see her leg fall behind and her second legs have to cross on top so I don't think its just me. I'll try to get you a pic asap onion and maybe you could take a look at tell me what you think. I'll keep a close eye on her just in case I have to divide them.

Thanks cloie Ill keep that in mind. I don't have any cuttle bone but I will give her shrimp with the shell on :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.