1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new here

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by peach, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peach

peach "Never Molted"

hi,

I'm new to the site not crabbing I'm actually a member of the HCA too. I have 6 hermit crabs,(biggest to smallest) Bella, Renesmee, Jasper, Scuttle, Lana, Lola and I have two cats. ;) I'm Happy to be a member :D

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Hello, Peach!!! Welcome to Hermit Crabs ~R~ Us!!! I have 3 hermit crabs: Romeo, Elmo, and Juliet. . . They are currently housed in a 30-gallon tank with Eco Earth as substrate. . .

3. createbad

createbad "Never Molted"

welcom and stay happpy with crabs(lol)

4. Hermies4Ever

Two of my hermies died today!!! Their names were Hermie and Felix. . .

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome to HCRU!

6. Hermies4Ever

Hiya, Peach!!!

How many hermit crabs do you have, and what are their names??? How many gallons is your crabitat, and what substrate/substrates do you use???;););)

7. peach

peach "Never Molted"

eh look ^ up at their names ;) and I have 2 tanks a 10 gal and a 20. in my 20 I use ee and sand separated with plexiglass and in my 10 I use just sand

8. Hermies4Ever

So, you have 30-gallons in all??? Don't you want any more hermit crabs??? You can have up to 10 if you have a 10-gallon and a 20-gallon. . .

9. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

You could fit that many, but it would get crowded. It would be like saying "you have a 4-bedroom house, so you can have a mom and a dad, and 6 kids in the house because everybody could share a bedroom" without taking into account that there is only a tiny kitchen, a dining room, and a tiny living room. You could fit that many in there, and you could probably do it with no problem, but a 20g isn't much better than a 10g unless you have upper levels to use the additional space, and if you have an ISO because that's a lot of crabs per tank to molt in there if they all decided to molt at once (like mine tend to do). Besides, those crabs will grow and then you'll need more than 30 gallons to hold them - just because you can fit into a playhouse when you're 5 doesn't mean you can use it when you're 10. You grow, and you need more room. The house my family lived in when I was little wouldn't have been big enough when my brother, sister, and I were in high school - it was WAY too tiny!

Besides, I disagree completely with the "gallons per crab" rule. That rule says that I could have 30 micros right now, 15 smalls, 5 mediums, 7-8 larges, or 6 jumbos. I have 3 upper levels, 4 bridges/climbing mats, and I'm pretty much using as much space as I can in the tank while still being able to get my hand in to get the food and water bowls out. I have 2 mediums (6 gallons combined between them by the rule), 1 small (8 gallons total necessary), and 5 tinies (13 gallons total necessary). No way would I do that, though - a 15g aquarium is not enough for those guys! As it is, I don't think my 30g tall is big enough because they're always climbing up to the top of the tank and doing laps around there, then climbing down and going all over the tank. I had 6 tinies (before the small got so big, haha) in a 10g, which technically by the rule I could have fit 4 more into, but everybody was digging down simultaneously and I was terrified that someone would get dug up. I would stay up wondering if they were okay, I was so worried.

I adopted the 2 mediums in a 10g tank, which by the gallon per crab rule should be able to fit in it just fine. I put two upper levels in (a soap dish and a hemp corner net, with a hemp bridge to connect them) and they still didn't have enough room. What with hideys big enough to hide that size crab, their massive shells (compared to my tinies, at least!), and water bowls big enough to submerge in, I had NO floor space. Every morning, the tank looked like it got hit by bulldozers, and every night I had to wear earplugs because they were always hitting the glass and climbing around the top because they needed exercise. I wouldn't put 2 mediums in a 10g, let alone 2 jumbos, which the rule says should be okay. Jumbo shells in a 10g tank alone (if you offer even the minimum of 3 shells per crab) would take up almost half the tank, and a hidey big enough would take up the other half, let alone food and water bowls and space for them to walk around in!

I'm of the opinion (I know, I'm talking a lot about my opinions, but it's rare that someone questions things generally accepted...it's just human nature) that you should get the biggest tank you can possibly afford and fit into your home. Our crabs, just a few months prior to us buying them, would travel sometimes up to two miles or more in a single night! Even the tiniest little guys can travel that far - if you're putting them in a 10g, and buying a bunch of new crabs to put in there to further crowd it up just because "my tank can fit more because they're little and only need a gallon of room apiece" you're doing your crabs a major disservice. They need room to get out and exercise. Exercise has been linked in humans to a diminished chance of major health problems as you age (your brain functions better, you'll be able to move better with less arthritis, etc.), and cats and dogs that get more exercise have a better energy level and are less likely to get some diseases. Why should we assume it's any different for crabs? Their bodies once used to be in tip-top shape, roaming through the woods or on the shoreline looking for food. Now they don't even have to move to look for food - they have excellent food choices right there, without even having to try. They're eating more, exercising less, and we expect them to stay healthy in that situation? Their bodies are made to move, but by keeping them in tanks we limit their movement.

We're actually discussing this topic over at the Hermit Crab Paradise forum right now. Carol of Crabworks, who has had 2 PPs (she had a third, but it only lived a month or so way back after she'd first gotten her crabs, and she never replaced it) for 33 years and 2 months now, attributes her crabs' longevity in captivity (the longest ever recorded so far) to exercise. Ever since she got them, she has taken them out of the tank and let them go loose (I think at first she blocked off an area for them, or had a 'playpen' for them, I don't remember for sure) in her house every night for all evening. They're out, exploring and getting exercise, for over 4 hours a night! They've had this exercise for years now, and they're still quite healthy - one of them has regenerated her eye after a fight with the other one 10 years ago too.

I'm not saying let your tiny crabs loose in the house - I wouldn't even want to imagine where they'd end up hiding, but maybe get a Rubbermaid container (less than $10) and use it as an exerciser. Take the crabs out and put them in there for an hour or two (keep the room as warm as possible and spray the area around the exerciser so they can breathe) - they'll most likely just run up the sides of the container (or try to, they fall down and it's like a treadmill) the whole time, but that's great exercise! I try to take my guys out at least a few times a week (some weeks are easier than others, but I try) and the weeks that I do take them out and put them in the Rubbermaid exerciser (just a few things for them to climb on) they're out way more at other times of the day. Getting them active gets their metabolism up for sure, and they eat more too (they're such pigs). The more active a crab is, the easier it will be for it to get off its exo (an extremely tiring thing to do) in the future when it molts. Its immune system (I don't know the details of how it works, but this assertion is based off of the effects of exercise on human and other animal immune systems) will probably be stronger too, allowing it to ward off infections more easily.

So how about instead of buying more crabs, you save the money you would have spent and use it to buy a bigger tank and exerciser sometime later? Your crabs will thank you, trust me they will. They will have more room to stretch their legs, and will be more active for it. It's time to stop keeping crabs in an (crab) apartment - let's give them a (crab) mansion all to themselves!

I have 30 gallons, and I have 8 crabs. Until I get a bigger tank, I'm not going to get more crabs. I'm not trying to be mean, but I am trying to explain why you shouldn't get more crabs just because 'your tank could hold more by the gallons per crab rule.' I realize it's just a guideline, but I think the estimates of room are really low for each size of crab, and I'd personally (if I could) at least double the amount of room it says for each size of crab everywhere on the internet. Crabs need their space, just like you and I do, and they need their exercise because they don't have gym class, or they don't have to go grocery shopping and walk around the store for an hour. They've only got a little room, and they'd love to have some more.

10. Hermies4Ever

Wow!!! Long post, emmac350!!!

11. peach

peach "Never Molted"

I'm already saving up for a 40b when I just finished setting up my 20 gal this month lol

12. lovelylivelycrabs

lovelylivelycrabs "Preparing For First Molt"

Into Twilight? ;) Renesmee is a pretty name, it's pretty distinctive too :rolleyes:
    Glad to have you, peach!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.