1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New here..

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Numbhangle, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numbhangle

Numbhangle "Never Molted"

This is my first post, but I am so excited I had to share. I feel like a new mother ha ha ha..
    My 5 year old daughter was given a Hermit crab for Christmas from her older sister (from the mall kiosk:rolleyes: ). She named him "shiny white spotty" (hereafter referred to as SWS:p ).. we then purchased another a few weeks later which she named "chocolate"..
    The crabs are great with eachother. Well I noticed the other day that SWS had lost some legs and was growing gel legs. He also seems very out of it and lethargic. I had the tank set up to molt if it needed to. It would bury down a little but not all the way. Well I learned I didn't have the sand deep enough.
    Today I bought a new tank (much bigger) and new sand.. I didn't have the sand in there for 30 minutes and he's gone!:eek: I moved a little of the sand and found the top of his shell so I know his location. But I can't believe he is down there already! I am so excited, and a little upset that I didn't know what to do for him sooner.
    Anyway, this is a rambled post, but I hope to learn a lot from you guys.. and I have some pics to post later of my "guys"...
    Keep your fingers crossed for a safe molt for him ok?
    Thanks!

2. Numbhangle

Numbhangle "Never Molted"

Another question.. I've seperated the two from eachother because Chocolate doesn't appear ready to molt just yet. They are seperated by a plastic divider that came with the tank. Will this cause Chocolate some type of stress? I mean they are the best of buds and I'd hate to think of him missing his friend...:( :confused:

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome to the site!

He might be lonely for a bit, but I don't think he will get stressed over it. Do you have the sand damp (like sand castle consistency)?

4. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Yeah, don't worry. I only have two crabs myself and they molt at different times. Both seem happy so I don't worry anymore!

Good luck with them!

5. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Well welcome to the site/forum. I hope you enjoy your stay.

6. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

I personally have never separated any of my hermies for molting and I've yet to have a problem with another one digging up a tank mate. On the other hand it does depend on the hermie and it is totally up to you in the long run whether you want to separate them or not. Most of mine also will immediately dig down and molt right after I change the tank, I think they just like the new sand. (like a cat will always use the litter box after you just finish cleaning it) Funny little creatures aren't they!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.