1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Here(: Molting question?!?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by hermanandhermynie, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hermanandhermynie

hermanandhermynie "First Molt In Progress"

Hi
    I got my crabs a few weeks ago and the other day I found this website an decided to join:) I have two crabs herman and hermynie and the they are both dug under.

In the beginning they were always active at night and in the day hid in the coconut hut. Now they are both under and yesterday hermynie was in the hut and I went to look at her and she freaked out and started pinching me, same with herman two days before. they are usually very nice and never pinch and walk all over my hand and room. So now they are buried again and I don't here from them accept for the occasionally scratching underground in the night. Could they be molting? please help. Kinda new to all this.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

3. hermanandhermynie

I know I just wanted to know if anyone thinks there molting. Also what foods are good for there color?

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

If you can still hear them scratching they are not molting. Crabs will go silent for weeks before the actual event. molting on average only takes a couple of hours. All the time they spend down is for premolt and postmolt. During the premolt they might come up for a bite or a drink or even spend a night up top but will return underground. Maybe you caught them in that process.

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

ya, mine would go missing for a day or two then come up hit food and water , go missing, hear them digging around, they would that for days sometimes then stay under, I would hear them scratching & digging around, then one day you won't hear anything at all. I'd say if you don't hear anything for over a week, they are going through a molting.
    I don't know what I did for Crabby Paddy to get such a dark color, back then when I first had him I didn't know much about foods. he prob only got varitity bites or how ever spell it, apples and bananas & that ucky calcium block that was colored pink and made them poop pink. I can't wait for my others to come up since they have had so many other things added to their diet. I get the spring mix salad stuff in the bag with dark greens, and rinse some of it off with their water & pat dry and put in a baggy with words crab food on it so the hubby don't eat it & we eat the rest. I also keep cuttle bone in the tank at all times & millet seeds about once a week.

6. eljhdl

eljhdl "First Molt, A Success"

Welcome to the Forum!

I personally have found that their color naturally improves and becomes more vibrant as they gain their health back. They are not usually kept in the best of environments while up for sale. I always love to see the changes in color. Never know what you will get! I don't feed anything specifically for color just a balanced hermie diet.

I agree that it's best to leave them be for a while. Just give them some time to destress. We look like big scary monsters to them till they get used to us so it can take some time for them to adjust. It's facinating to watch them too.

Good luck and let us know how they are doing!

7. hermanandhermynie

Ok thanks. Ill keep everyone posted with picturesss

8. eljhdl

We love pictures!!! Looking forward to seeing them.

9. hermanandhermynie

they came up todayyy:) well one did and the other has been sitting in the hut since yesterday! how do you post pictures?

10. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

the only way I have figured out how to do it is get an account with photo bucket or pic nix or nic, they are free. you can also edit the pictures you upload to them. I use both of them, it takes some getting used to and figureing out but you just have to copy & paste the code on to here. I'm sure maybe someone can give you better instructions. I had to just mess with it and write it down so I could do it everytime until I got the hang of it.

11. eljhdl

I use Photobucket. Once you upload your pics to Photobucket, you simple have to copy and paste the Image Code (there are like 4 different codes, just use the image code) into your post. The pic will show after you post.

Can't wait to see the pics!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.