1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New here - crabs not eating

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by k_n_68048, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k_n_68048

k_n_68048 Guest

:help: We're new crab owners. Just got two a couple of days ago. They don't seem to be eating. Is this normal due to the tranistion for them? They seem to be fairly active. We have fed them commercial "Hermit Crab Food", moistened a little with some fish food flakes added. :thanks:

2. Shadow

Shadow Guest

Welcome to the Addiction!!! :wave:

Check out the basic Caresheets to the right for some good info.

As for them not eating, hermies are more active at night, and generally will feel safer to eat at night. You can smooth out the sand around the food dish before ya go to bed, and in the morning there will probably be crab tracks.

Also, it may take a while before the realize something is food, but don't worry, they won't starve themselves purposly.

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome!!!

Most commercial foods aren't the best for them, try giving them some fresh foods you have in your house. Veggies, meats(with no seasoning or salt) peanut butter, fruits, unsalted nuts. If you want to try some new items theres an Ebay store to get the items and we have a sister site that has a Edible and NonEdible food list and forum.

Your crabs are probably very stressed from being plucked from the wild and then shipped to a store, so let them destress. Don't handle them for a few weeks. Just make sure they have food and water at all times. You will need to get some salt water for them. (salt water for fish).

Enjoy the new crabs and the site, don't hesitate to ask questions!! :hello:

4. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

I think that my crabs didn't eat much for the first year that I got them. Now they eat in front of me all of the time--even during the day. I've learned my particular crab's favorite foods and have learned how to look for evidence that they've eaten a food. I like to neatly cube apple and mango so that I can look for pinchmarks on the neat corners that I made w/ the knife. You can also see if they've walked over some food because there will be substrate on it.

Plus they eat things in the tank that you might not consider food, like the climbing toys or sponge or cocohut, etc.

5. Crabcrazy2

Crabcrazy2 (Small Crab)

:hello: Welcome!

Hey, guys...this is a co-worker of mine! She just told me today at work that she made it here.

k_n_...I'm making up a care package & will bring it to work. Samples of stuff that my crabbies enjoy that might get yours dragging stuff all over the tank like mine. (Most if not all can be ordered through the Crabby Corner Store and Vicki is GREAT to work with.)

Another helpful hint...when introducing a new food, put a little natural honey on it. They love it and it usually gets them started.

See ya!

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

Oh kewl! A friend!

Speaking of honey, I just got another kind in! Woohoo so hopefuly that will be listed soon

7. k_n_68048

k_n_68048 Guest

Thanks everyone for the advice! The crabs have told me they can't wait for their care package to arrive tomorrow!! :banana:

8. Shadow

Shadow Guest

Yeah, I put in a giant chunk of mango in the tank last week beacause I was kinda too lazy to cut it up (lol), it was pretty amazing to watch them tear off chunks, and when I took it out, realizing how much they actually gobbled up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.