1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hemit Crab

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by OneOnion, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I thought I needed a friend for Clinger, my only E, so I went to Petco today to get another E. The one I got looked exactly like Clinger so I thought it was an E, but now I think he might be a ruggie. He does not have spots under his eye and does not have a orangy antennae, so he could still be an E, but I just wanted to be sure. I can get pictures of him soon but not now(he's all over the place right now!) if you need them. Ask any other questionsabout him if you want.

Oh yeah, he/she's dark grayish-blackish and the color of inside of her/his legs is white. His/her back left walking leg is brown, and his/her claw is partly brown and partly grayish-blackish. Oh yes, and one of his/her legs has a little brown on two of its segments.

P.S. he/she doesnt have a name yet.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but I thought E stood for Ecuadorian.:confused: Great! What's his name? Make sure you ISO him because you don't want Clinger to be sick. My pet store does not sell Es. Where did you get him? I can't find anything but PPs but I don't really care what species my crabs are. I always adopt so I never find anything but PPs anyway. I'm sure they will be great friends. I think that Clinger will be just as happy with the pps as with an E but it's great you got a new crab.:D
    Congrats.

3. OneOnion

Sorry, I was saying I think he was a Ruggie. I put him in the ISO and right now he's just trying to climb the wall and escape. He ate and drank a little and since then he's trying to climb the wall and escape. He's in a painted shell right now and didnt even look at the other natural ones.

He came from a petco and I just found out that Petco sold a lot of foreign hermit crabs and now I think that the one I got today is a Ruggie. Sorry.

I wanted to know if you think he's an e or a ruggie from the description I gave of him. Thanks.

4. cococrisp

Login
    Here is the species ID chart. I can't really tell from your description but hopefully this will help.
    Good Luck.;)

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Thats my link @ the addiction and if you go to my site its more in depth- a pic (CLEAR) of the BP and eyes here will tell me though. I love ruggies!

6. cococrisp

IS your site the crabroom? I just did a link to the addiction because that's the only on e I've seen. I think it has the bps but I'm not too sure.

7. OneOnion

Kk I'll post the pictures I took of him. He's in a painted shell right now but I have natural shells in his ISO for him.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do Ruggies always have smudges under their eyes because this guy doesnt.

Oh yeah I decided to name him/her 'Storm' if he/she's a girl and 'Lightning' if he/she's a boy 'cause the day I got him/her it was really rainy and there was thunder and lightning outside.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  8. cococrisp

I don't know. He looks like he is have=ing a great time in his food though. Maybe he is an E. I'm not sure. I don't know much about species ID. What does his BP look like?

9. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

its an E and yes coco that is my site

10. cococrisp

I think he has those candy corn eyes sort of.

11. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

There is no guessing - its an E :)

12. OneOnion

Cool. Thanks for helping me. :)

13. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Awwww! He/she is so adorable! :) I love the names Storm and Lightening! When are you going to check the gender? Congrats on your new crab!

14. cococrisp

How did you get an E from a pet store? the ones near me only have PPs.

15. OneOnion

Laughs, thanks. I gave him a mite bath today(he has no mites! Yay!) and decided that while he's out, I should check what gender he is, and I figured out he's a boy. I think I'm still going to use the name 'Storm' though... It sounds cooler :eek:

Cococrisp, I found Storm at Petco so maybe you should look there... I don't think there are ever E's at Petsmart, and I found Clinger at a small local pet store near my house. So you should try looking at Petco or like a small pet store that's not a chain of stores around the country.

Oh yeah, do you think it's okay to let him out of the ISO and into the main tank in a week or so? He has no mites and doesn't look sick at all; he's walking around a lot! The only problems I'm seeing about him is his painted shell(and I know E's don't change shells a lot) and that I never see him all the way inside his shell. I mean, like, he's even sleeping out of his shell. In fact, I could probably pick him up and touch him and he wouldn't retract into his shell. He never even goes into the hut I have for him. Also he hasn't molted yet. But my mom's bugging me saying that it's not fair for him to be in the ISO alone and that he doesn't look sick at all... Do you think I could let him into the main tank early?

16. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Hmmm. What conditions did he come from? You should start off the ISO with the humidity and temp of the pet store hen slowly rise or lower it to the ideal conditions of your main tank. The rule is to keep them in for a month, though.
    Sherbert still didn't change out of her painted shell either. :( And it's been almost a year! :eek:

17. cococrisp

No. My mom kept saying that too. You have to keep him in ISO for a whole month. I did nto do it with Kiwi and I paid a price.:( As Laughs said make the conditions match the ones in your tank starting with the ones at the pet store. He is not lonely or anything is the ISO tank. T

18. OneOnion

Okay, thanks. but I lost my old hygrometer after I put the digital one in my main tank so now I can't even record the humidity in the ISO. -.- How stupid of me. I'm gonna go look for it again right now.

Woohoo! I found it! It was behind the ISO tank on my desk! I set up the ISO so quickly I guess I left it back there. :eek:

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  19. cococrisp

Great! What does it read?

20. OneOnion

It says 70... What should I do? Maybe the hygrometer got messed up because I used to put the hygromeeter in the sand and the sand might've gotten into the hygtometer. He looks fine... Oh yeah I figured out he was a she. And I'm positive now because I double checked and I saw gonopores both times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.