1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New from Texas...and a question.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by imported_Mermaid, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_Mermaid

imported_Mermaid Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello everyone! So glad to be here. A few days ago I got two hermies while my hubby and I were vacationing in Destin, FL and I bought two more from Petsmart a couple days ago in Houston. I thought I was doing everything right because of the instruction sheet they gave me at the souvenir shop. :eek:ops2: Of course, I now know much better...but not as much as I should. I then came across this site and now have a dilemma. I bought a ten gallon tank and all the basics for my crabs. However, I didn't know that I was supposed to gives the crabs a bath and iso and all that. Now I have four crabs in one tank and none of them have been bathed or checked for mites. Now I'm so worried I messed everything up. :crybaby2: So, where do I go from now? Do I bathe them all and iso them? I really don't know what to do. I don't see mites, but I can't be sure they aren't there. Any help with the procedure would be much appreciated. :twirl:

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:vinkko: Hello there, and Welcome.

No worries...take them out and give them a proper bath using the directions on the site. If you see no mites, put them back in the tank together, wait another couple of days, and give them another bath. If still no mites, it's pretty sure that you have none on the crabs or in the crabitat so there will be no need to replace and clean everything in your tank.

This is what I would do for your particular situation, but if any others have a different opinion, by all means chime in. :flower:

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

LOL! no worries, been there! My son got his from the mall from a lady that sold him one in the small critter keeper with calsi sand and said spray him 2 or 3 times a day feed him this food and just give him spring water. Didn't take long for us to start looking up info because that calsi sand stunk! Then found out that mall lady didn't know squat! So we got him a 5 gal tank, then wanted friends, so got 10 gal tank, then found more info on them and he went to college and he left them to me! I found this site and a few other I order food and shells from. I have four in a 20-22 gal tank, they are med to large. Named Crabby Paddy, ShellLea, Pebbles & Bam Bam.
    decorations: sky is the limit! fake palnts, cholla wood, jungle vines, they love to hide and climb really go through all the stuff on here you can get some good info on here!!! welcome!

4. imported_Mermaid

imported_Mermaid Hi, I'm New Here!

:thanks: Great advice! Thanks for all the help.

5. hermanandhermynie

hermanandhermynie "First Molt In Progress"

How do you get hermit crabs on a plane? I might get one from FL and dont no what to doo.

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

You will have to check with the Airline that you are flying on and see if they will allow them on the plane. Some have said that the Airlines that do allow them charge the cost of another seat for them to be on the plane.
    But check first...they will confiscate things in a heartbeat! :flower:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.