1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Food Favorites

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by silver616, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I found a couple of combinations tonight that my crabs are loving...haven't left the food dishes yet tonight!! :D

I always provide them with two food dishes (one "meal" and one "treat") that I change every day or two.
    Tonight for their "meal" I mixed Hikari Bio-Pure Freeze Dried Krill (that I crumbled with my fingers) with calcium powder, spirulina powder, and cod-liver oil.
    For their "treat" I mixed Gerber sweet potatoes with calcium powder and organic corn meal.
    They've been climbing over each other and alternately "guarding" the food dishes all night now!!! They especially seem to live the sweet potatoe mixture!
    Yeahhh!!! I'm such a dork, but I love it when I find a new combination they love!!! :D

2. sami

sami "Never Molted"

I'd love to try that food combo:D Maybe a silly question, but is cod liver oil expensive? I've also heard that Hikari is a great brand of freeze dried food, but I have no idea where to buy it:confused: Kudos to you for your new recipe!!!

3. silver616

I bought the cod liver oil quite a while ago, but if I remember correctly, it's not all that expensive. Also, the small bottle I have is lasting me forever b/c you only need a couple of drops at a time.
    I buy my Hikari Bio-Pure products at PetSmart...it's more expensive than other brands, but it's worth it b/c it doesn't have any nasty preservatives in it. Also, again, one container lasts forever b/c the little guys don't eat that much.

4. sami

sami "Never Molted"

okey dokey, Thank you :D I've noticed that with mine too, they really don't eat that much. So far i've fed mine crushed almonds, dried pineapple, dried apple, dry unflavored natural oatmeal, eggshells for calcium, and carrots, they're favorite so far was the grapes.

5. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

Yeah, mine love sweet potatoes too.

6. dgh_1984

dgh_1984 (Micro Crab)

Is the baby food ok to give them? I haven't thought of that.

7. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

baby food is usually fine, but you have to be certain that every ingredient is on the safe food list. it is also a nice way to buy organics without breaking the bank. My crabs seem to enjoy dry food better, but a lot of crabbers have success with jarred baby food.

8. silver616

I believe it's fine to give them baby food...I just carefully check the ingredient list to make sure the only additive is water (like with the sweet potatoes, it's just sweet potatoes and water).
    I haven't tried giving them just plain baby food...I usually mix ground flax seed or corn meal with it.

9. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

There's organic / all natural baby food on the shelves now, next to the stuff with the salt and preservatives, so you have to choose carefully. My crabbies haven't been too crazy about baby food, though. I tried several different jars. Plus they eat so little, I end up throwing away most of the jar because I don't want to keep it too long.

Plus it sure makes a mess when they decide to walk through it! LOL

Donna m.

10. silver616

I guess it depends on the crabs then.
    I freeze the rest of the container for later...I seem to end up freezing a lot of "crab" foods so they don't go to waste.

11. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Put the baby food, and anything else for that matter, into ice cube trays and stick them into the freezer. When frozen, you can also put each cube into a small piece of saran wrap, then put all of them in a bag. When it's dinner time, take whatever is enough for your crabs, and they defrost within 15 minutes.

12. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Hey that a good idea Hildgarde!!!
    ill hafta try that.

13. Aseret

Aseret Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi! I read somewhere that people make little dots of baby food on cookie sheets or cookie sheets with wax paper, freeze them, peel them off, and then store the frozen dots in a baggy for manageable size servings. I plan to try it whenever I finally have space in my freezer for the cookie sheet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.