1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

The aquarium supply store had an entire tank full of these. They look somewhat like E's only a little more varied in color and much bigger than I had ever seen any E's get before. Very, very active and not at all hand shy.. and the entire tank was chirping nonstop. I brought home two, not sure what they are. I will try to get my camera working enough to get a couple of pictures posted.
    The owner of the store said he had gone to a reptile expo upstate over the weekend and he got the crabs from an importer there who told him they were from Nigeria. They look a lot like the calico species listed here. Does anyone know more about them, or have any links?

2. BL00DYMARY

I apologise for the quality.. the crabs are in ISO and my camera is not working correctly, but here is a pic of one of the new guys, if anyone has any idea what he is I'd appreciate it:
    [​IMG]

3. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

hmmm kinda looks like a strawberry but i could be wrong. im no expert or anything... lol he is cute though!

4. BL00DYMARY

He's definitely not a straw.

5. BL00DYMARY

I got a new camera, but now they are burried. Hopefully tonight I will be able to get some more pictures.. Mean time if anyone knows of a link where I can find some more information on Aussies and calicos I'd appreciate it. I am worried that these guys may be too aggresive in my main tank after reading some things about Aussies. Does anyone have any experience with mixing them in with other species?

6. BL00DYMARY

I have a couple of better pictures.. any idea what they are?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

The second one looks like it could be a calico E, but I'm not that great with crab ID either. I've never seen purple in an E before but he's really gorgeous!
    The guy in the gray shell looks like an E...
    Congrats on the lovely new additions.[​IMG]

8. BL00DYMARY

He does look just like an E, only he is bigger than any E I have ever seen, that and the fact that the other crabs had so many variations in color that you don't normally see in an E (like the red one), and I am assuming they were all of the same species. Another thing I noticed is that their outer anttenna are really short compared to my other crabs. Oh, and almost all of the crabs in the batch had on the same type of shell that they grey one is wearing if that helps. Where is everyone?

9. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I feel pretty certain that the one in the gray shell is an E. The second (redder) one, is probably an E, though possibly a very light Straw? But no, I really think they are both Es, and perhaps the "Calico crab" variety that pop up from time to time. There was some debate over on LHC over a year ago about whether or not "Calico crabs" or "X crabs" as some called them were actually a separate species, but I think most feel that they're probably some isolated population of Es somewhere. I think Bob Gardner (of Gardners Hermit Crab Food) was supposedly the one importing them, and he wouldn't divulge the source. If the source is indeed Nigera ... that's more where you'd expect to find Cavipes.

One of the "calico crab" traits is being pretty darn large relative to what you'd expect for an E. Supposedly these crabs can be more aggressive than the norm, too, so keep an eye on them, especially when they go into your main tank! But they are lovely, and I would love to stumble across some myself someday.

10. BL00DYMARY

OK, That makes sense. They chirp like E's- but they chirp all the time (which made me think they may be agressive) and they are a lot more active than my other E's. So now I am worried about the agression thing & wondering if it is a smart idea to add them to my main tank. I guess I will have to watch closely when the time comes.

11. moire_eel

Yes, now I remember that chirping was a Calico crab trait, too. I do know that at least some calico crab owners were able to integrate them into the main tank. Having more space may well help them calm down if they're active.

Try feeding them lots of MEAT before you move them in, lol. Though actually, my Es seem to eat more protein, so these guys might too. I think they're wonderful, actually -- enjoy them!

12. BL00DYMARY

They've been eating and going thru salt water like crazy, but they have actually ignored the Krill I offered them. They literally suck up the salt water. I only have room for a small dish of it in ISO and I have to refill it twice a day for the first couple of days. I would find the dish completely empty with a crab sitting in the center of it. A friend of mine is setting up a tank for her son who really wants hermies, so I told her if these two turn out to be big bullies she can have them for her son. All else aside, they really are wonderful crabs, especially for a child who is going to handle them. Much more active and less shy. They will climb all over you and despite their size they have never once tried to use their BP to grip. I like that they are so talkative too! Well anyway I told her to give me a week and let me see how they work out and if not they will get a good home with her.

13. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

He looks like an E. HOW CUTE HE IS!

14. HermieMaster5

HermieMaster5 Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi! I'm sooooo glad you posted this! I, too, have a Calico crab! I debated this with others on PetsHub forums. At first I thought Cheddar was a Cavipes. But clearly the eyes were different. I have observed that (to what I believe) they are a new species.

1. Calicos have a small bump at the bottom of their eyes... Es don't.

2. Es have black antennae, whereas Calicos have reddish antennae.

3. Calicos eyes are long and straight, (resembling the shape of Rugs) but Es have candy corn shaped eyes...

4. And of course the coloring is most different! I have never seen purple on an E.

15. HermieMaster5

[​IMG]

This is Cheddar, my Calico.

[​IMG]

More Cheddar.

Yes... I know. THE PAINTED SHELL IS HORRID!

16. moire_eel

Cheddar is cute -- great coloration!

Interesting observations on the differences between Calicos and "regular" Es.

17. HermieMaster5

Thanks... I just wish he'd change out of that disgusting painted shell.

Yeah... some noticeable characteristics are different.

I do think they are a different species.

18. BL00DYMARY

Thank you hermiemaster. I have done some checking around and I am fairly certain that is what they are. So do you have them integrated with your other species? And do you have aggression issues with them?
    Mine are still in ISO, I am too chicken to add them to my main tank!
    Also, another question that I have is have you noticed that your Calicos give off a beachy smell? The iso tank stinks. I have checked it for decaying food, and found nothing- either they are keeping food stored in their shells or it is them. I was just wondering if this is common with them or if maybe there is something wrong?

19. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

You mean me, or somebody else?

20. moire_eel

Not calicos, but I have had a couple of large PPs that were stinky for a while after I got them. It was junk in their shells, and when they finally changed they smelled fine. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.