1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Craber here. Question on molting

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by crabs4kids, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabs4kids

crabs4kids Hi, I'm New Here!

i am am new from Victoria, Australia. So while most of you sleep and your crabs are awake, I am up and about too. We have had our crabs since Oct last year. Had 4 but 1 died last month. They are facinating pets and my 4 kids love them (so do I). I have done loads of reading and have found much info on here.

My crabs molted in November and we could tell they had/were molting. Two had surface molted and the other two were hidding for a long time assumed molted. The surviving 3 have gone into hiding again since last Friday (a week ago). The day before they had an ant infestation and we did a bit of a cleanout. They have been in hidding since. I am not going to dig around. I hope they are still alive. No fishy smell in the tank. Do I take this that they a molting again? They are small to medium sized.
    When the do appear, how will I know if they have molted or what signs to look for. Don't ask what bread/type I have because I don't know. Thanks for your help. :hermzpoo:

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

WELCOME!!!Freshly molted crabs will be a little hairy and have long claws. Have you tried looking on the surface for them by moving plants and taking things out? Surface molting is not normal for a crab to do. How deep is your substrate? If you have sand in the tank smooth it out so you can tell if they have been coming out at night to eat. You can tell by the drag marks in the sand. Hermit crabs eat very little so its hard to tell by just looking at food. I would see if they are on the surface and then let them be. Since you just got them in october they could still be destressing.

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

yep hairy legs like mine in the winter! lol!!!! :hilarious: I'm sorry I just had to throw that in! I was getting ready to out last night for supper and was putting on my socks and got to looking at my legs and thought omgosh you have got to shave them legs! then reading how to tell if your crab has molted, just brought that memory to mind, i just bout died laughing! you can sometimes tell buy a color change to, when crabby paddy first molted he went from a blazay brown to a rich rich dark brown that also has to with the foods you feed them. welcome to the site to!

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Scoobdo you are nuts. How funny. I was also growing my winter coat. But the electricity was getting so bad in my sweats that I had to do something so I went and bought a rechargable razor.It is very convenient.
    crabs4kids...How are things going???

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

i shaved today, the legs and the pits! when the sink empties and the hair in the sink is about as long or longer than your eye lashes it is time!

6. crabs4kids

:sunny: Summer here, so no hairy here ;)
    Thanks for the welcome. OK I have one surfaced, I am 99% sure he has molted. He is very sluggish and was a lighter colour than he usually is but over the past 2 days his colour is darkening. He is not overly active like he used to be but if molted I am assuming he is still gaining strength. The other two are still down below. If I look under the tank you can just see them in their little window and there was movement a few days ago. I had another little peek last night but there was no movement from them. I am hoping that this is not a sign that things are not good. I find molting times are so stressfull, and this is only my second molt :aargh: I don't know how those of you with 10+ hermits cope.
    Thanks for your help and advice, this site has been very helpful.

7. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Do not fear. They most likely molting if you can see them on the bottom of the tank.Its ok if you dont see movement. They have a big job ahead of them or they are in recovery. Things sound like they are going well so far.

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:welcome: crabs4kids

Glad to have you join our family of crabbers!

9. crabs4kids

:katertater: Hermit #2 has surfaced and has molted Yaay!!! 2 have survived their second molt. Now just have to wait for this last one to surface. I can still see some of their exo at the bottom of the tank. Very exciting. Thanks for the welcome and all your encouragement. :straw:

10. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:spunky: Isn't it just so exciting?! Congrats on the successful molts!

11. crabs4kids

#3 has successfully molted and surfaced. Now they just have to get more active again. One of them has 2 bent legs from the molt. Not sure how that happened but I am sure he will adjust.
    All that stress for no reason.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.