1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Crabby site!

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by imported_Sterwick, Oct 7, 2009.

1. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Sterwick - what you said on there about PPs not needing salt water is not true. They do need it, as evidenced by two crabs I adopted. They'd gone over a year with the ZooMed salt water crud that they never touched the entire time. I put a bowl of Instant Ocean water in there, and both ran over and jumped in. They were desperate for that salt water, and they're always in their salt water now. I see my PPs in the salt water on a fairly regular basis. Also, rock salt and sea salt sold for humans aren't safe for crabs (rock salt isn't meant for human consumption, let alone crabs who are way more sensitive to heavy metals and other impurities, and sea salt has anti-caking agents in it). You don't mention ever having tested the specific gravity of your mixtures to see if they are at appropriate levels of ion concentration for your crabs, either (as this is how one measures the strength/concentration level of ocean water). The only safe type of salt for hermit crab salt water is a salt water aquarium salt mix.

You don't mention that Calci-sand as a substrate has killed numerous crabs, as has playsand for some people (there's info on the CrabbyWiki and CSJ sites about it).

You don't mention anything about nutrition for crabs other than "don't feed them commercial food." Crabs have more nutritional needs than you discussed - what sorts of food should they get daily? At least a meat, fruit, veggie, and calcium, and flowers, cellulose, algae/seaweed, nuts and grains, and second protein source (one containing chitin, like shrimps with exos, krill, mealworms, etc. and one without chitin like beef, pork, etc.). You could maybe also link to the Epicurean Hermit site, the Hermit Crab Cuisine site, CSJ's Beginners Guide to Crab Food story, and the Addiction store as sources of more information on crab nutrition.

As for your debates, informed crabbers know that the paint on painted shells will chip and get into the substrate and sicken crabs. Even if the paint doesn't look chipped, the clear coatings on them will do the same thing to crabs and you can't tell if it's even happening.

Bathing crabs stresses them out as it ruins their mix of shell water - they spend a lot of time getting it to the right salinity level so their abdomens don't swell from being in water for so long, and you ruin it every time you bathe them.

Commercial diets are rubbish. Crabs don't look for all their nutrition in the same place...they are used to looking for protein in protein-only sources, and their calcium in calcium-only sources. They've never eaten pellets or powders before being captured, and I've never seen a crab go as crazy for real food as my adoptees who were fed only pellets. The first night, I watched one of them eat for over an hour straight, then the other one ate, then the first one came back and ate more. The food bowl was literally empty. They'd never eaten much according to their prior owner, but it's just because they didn't realize the pellets were food. They eat a lot of food even now, 10 months later, but that first night was just amazing.

I'm against ISOing molters unless they surface molt. I've had 17 molts in my last year of crabbing, all of which were successful (one lost a leg but regenerated it less than a month later) and every one of them was in the main tank. Heck, one did it in an upper level under an inch of coconut fiber (he's itty bitty, but still!) and wasn't bothered at all.

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

No bathing
    No painted shells
    No commercial foods
    No Iso
    :add:

4. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Isnt there an anti-advertising policy here, unless the person has permissions?

5. imported_Sterwick

Right, when I posted that topic I was much less experienced and very new ect. now I know a lot more and have created a new website. Which i'm sure you'll agree is way better. It is: www.hermitcrabber.co.uk thanks.

Stevo.

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I like the forum but right now, we're sort of the only two members.....

Good Luck

7. imported_Sterwick

thanks for joining cococrisp :)

8. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

I'll join!!

9. imported_Sterwick

Yes! Thanks willow :)

10. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

But, how do i?

11. imported_Sterwick

12. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

okay!!!!

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

Please put the link in your signature. Here's the rules for this forum.
    http://hermitcrabaddiction.net/forum/index.php?topic=2503.0