1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New crabbies in ISO

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by summerluvin, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. summerluvin

summerluvin "Never Molted"

Help! I got 2 new crabbies 3 weeks ago. I put them in the ISO tank and have not seen them since. The ISO used to be the main tank, so all conditions are good. The food and water have not been touched--no crab-prints in the sand. There is no smell, no nothing. I KNOW I'm not supposed to dig for them, but I'm getting tempted. Any thoughts?

2. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I would just leave them, they're most likely destressing. Or maybe even molting. But don't dig them up, it's tough I know!

3. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

New crabs need to be in ISO for a minimum of a month and most will bury and not be seen during the whole time! It really stinks when you get new ones and never see them!! Don't disturb them though until they come up on their own!!

4. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

My new guys have been buried for almost a week now. Most likely they are just destressing.

5. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Look at it like this: they're buried in their "safe spot"... they likely haven't felt safe in a while (since their capture) and now that they do, you wouldn't want to violate that by "finding" their safe spot and digging them up. :)

6. rcar77

rcar77 (Micro Crab)

One of mine just came up a few days ago. I bought him on 1/16 with two other. I know he went all that time without eating and he is doing great I see him all the time now. The other two are still down but I am not worried they will make their presents when they are ready. Just give them time.

7. krackersmom2

Speaking of digging around....I accidentally uncovered Hercules the other day:eek: As soon as I realized it was him, I stopped....I saw his BP and he clicked it together a couple of times as if to say, "I'm cool..." he has definitely molted or is getting ready to shed the exo. His previously dark maroon BP was light purple. My guess is that he has already molted and is regaining his strength. I he was buried in a completely different area or I never would have dug there. My crabbies like to mess up the rock pile and I thought he was a rock under the sand. He's not very far under. I was wondering if he would change colors after this molt. I do feel better that he is fianlly doing his thing.

8. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Some of my smalls have been down from between 10 to 16 weeks. As everyone else said, leave them be.

And don't wait for a smell. None of my crabs that died ever smelled. As a matter of fact I just lost large teeny and it sat in the ISO for a week, waiting for my husband to get around to burying it. And it never smelled at all.

9. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

I just got two new guys yesterday and placed them in our ISO. They checked out the extra shells - changed back and forth from new back to old - and checked out their new home scampering around. Today they have buried themselves. They did pig out on salt water and the plain water but did not eat anything. It might take a while for them to get use to fresh food as the pet shop had the commercial stuff :eek:

10. summerluvin

Thanks everyone. I'm still waiting for everyone to come up. Now everyone in the main tank is snoozing, too. I'm looking at a box full of substrate. I'm lonely for my silly crabbies. :(

11. krackersmom2

Isn't substrate exciting!!!:D;) Maybe you can use this time to envision what you want your crabitat to look like.:)

12. WizKidsMom

My envision is usually elegant, but when it comes time to the actual set up, I find my eyes were bigger than the tank :D

13. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

I always wonder if crabs know it is winter and seem to hibernate more? It seems like mine were up much more in the summer. Even in tropical areas native to crabs the winter is cooler?????

14. WizKidsMom

Yep, I agree. I think they even sense when storms are coming. :eek:

15. summerluvin

Well, still no sign of my two in ISO. Still no tracks in the sand, which means they are not eating or drinking. How long should I wait?

16. WizKidsMom

A month or more. Just keep the water & food fresh. When they are ready, they will come up.

17. summerluvin

Okay, folks. Still no sign of my newbies. It's been more than 6 weeks. Should I still wait? Or should I dig soon?

18. WizKidsMom

Give them more time. They just might be molting. After capture, they hold off a molt. Once they are in a place that is comfortable to them, they then do that needed molt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.