1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Crabbie

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by alli'smommy, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I got a new crab yesterday, a girl-my daughter wants to name her, but hasn't picked out a name yet!!
    Anyway, my question is: She came from very good conditions at the pet store. I brought her home, bathed her, put her in ISO. She hasn't stopped moving and climbing in 24 hrs!!!! All my others buried down almost immediately. Is this normal? Since she was in good conditions at the store, does she still need ISO'd?? I mean, she literally hasn't slept since I brought her home!! Is this a sign of a happy crabbie or a very stressed one?????
    Seems like every crab I get is different!!:D

2. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Every crab is different. Why not give her about two more days and if she's still active and eating, it's time for the General Population.

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I would keep her ISO'd. It is such an important step in the care of any crab. It gives them their first necessary "down time" with a space of their own where they can better adjust to the life of captivity. There will probably come a point where she slows down. Don't forget, she has a new home to explore right now! :)

Proper ISO-ing benefits the new crab in so many ways, and also ensures that you don't risk your main tank with bugs/parasites, sickness, injury. Give them the time they need to destress and eat nutritional meals. Don't forget, the petstore was more than likely feeding them a diet of commercial crab food. Sometimes they look healthy, but an underlying aggressive, stressed out or nutritionally deficient crab is going to be even more stressed in the main tank, with the other crabs coming to check on a "newbie" who may not be ready...

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Msdiamond and I agree 100% :D

5. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I took your advice and kept her in ISO. Got up this morning to find her in the hut digging away!!! :D Guess all is well!!

6. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Yippy! Glad to hear all is going well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.