1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New crabber with a fear with anything with claws

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by deniselovestochat, Mar 31, 2012.

1. deniselovestochat

deniselovestochat Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello when I was a kid my cusin chased me with a live lobster. I was so scared she thought it was funny.  :madhouse:

where I come from I was tought to face my fears so I got two hermit crabs.

Well I had a extra 10 gallon tank that did not hold water any more. I have lots of fish snails and ghost shrimp so I am not new to things with shells.

I did some research and found this site. I got a coco block for substrate I put some coral in that I got from the pet store. they have sea salt water and fresh water. I got a under tank heater. I got a coconut hut for them. and I got a mesh top for them so they cant get out. oh and I also got fresh wate conditioner for hermit crabs.

I researched where they are from and bought a coconut cracked it open and gave them the fresh coconut. I also got some banana and some hermet crab food. The food is by zoo med and its calle hermit crab food.

I do not like man made food for my fish they get lots of natural foods and would like the same for my hermit crabs. I have kelp veggie flakes, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen glassworms also peas, carrots, romain lettuce and cucumber. I read the food lish but it does not say anything about flakes or frozen thawed food.

at first I only bought one then found out they live in groups in the wild. so I bought another one. well the second one gave me a good inprestion of them. it was out and walking around and she picked it up. I thought it was going to bite her and kind of freaked. It did not even try and she put him in a contaner.

so when I got home and I put them in the tank. They were walking around and I was in aw about how they walked. I was a little scared but I did not freak out. I was about a 8 to start and it went down to a 4 on a fear scale of 1 to 10.

well today one had got under the subtrate and the other one was half way down but you could still see his shell. I got some colored shells because thats all they had. I do not like them they look fake I like natural things not green and red shells.

so today I am going to get some nice natural shells and let my 8 year old daughter have the colored ones. were would be a nice cheap place to get nice natural shells?

now here its pinchy and hermy in pictures.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I get mine from:

http://www.seashellcity.com/seashells.html?
    http://www.shells-of-aquarius.com/ (quite a few from here)
    http://naplesseashellcompany.com/ (quite a few here as well)
    http://deltonaseashells.com/ (here as well)
    http://elsshells.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

I like deltona and naples for mine also you can check ebay, remember to boil your new shells in salt water to clean them out, make sure the water gets in deep!

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

WELCOME!!!! GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE!!!! :welcome:  :madhouse: :rockz:

4. deniselovestochat

well yesterday I went to walmart and got a bag of shells for 4 dollars. We stopped over at my boyfriends sister in laws house. She has two hermit crabs herself and I told her I got two. she told me that they are great pets and you can hold them.

Before I knew it she put one on my hand.  :eeeek:The little guy is named Speedy. He started walking around on me. She told me that when they walk they grab on so it might feel a little pokey. At first I was shaking but was ok. He did not pinch me my boyfriend asked if I was alright. I told him I was fine and that we became buddies. It was great it felt weard but did not hurt me.

When I got home I boiled the new shells. I let them cool and put them in and took the colored ones out. Then I wondered if mine where that friendly too. I took one out and misted him to keep him wet. He was hidding at first then he came out and started walking around. He did not pinch me I handled him on my bed so if I freaked out he would have a soft landing. He was fine and walked around on me.

Today I woke up and one had changed shells. I had the colored ones in there for a day and they never changed. So they did not like the colored ones either lol.

5. Klabelle

it's great that you feel you can hold them now, I hold mine all the time.

make sure you dont mist them directly, mist their surroundings.

if you do by chance get pinched, just use some dechlorinated water and pour it slowly till he lets go. I got pinched for the 1st time in a year because one of my new crabs was crawling on the roof and I caught him when he fell. he got scared and pinched me :dontknow:

yours have a nice bold color to them :]

6. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

make sure the salt stuff you got for their water is actually made for them, not just reg old sea salt like table sea salt. you want ocean sea salt or aquarium type sea salt the sell at a pet shop.
    give them a month of down time before you really start playing around with them they need to destress, orthey can stress out and die, this is if you just bought them. that is just feeding & changing waters, no handling of them.
    you need something more than a mesh lid, you need to keep the humidity and warmth in, they live in the topics and need it to survive. with out it they die a slow painful death. the uth is located on the back of tank right?? sorry to sound so crass, not intended to be that way at all, I'm working at a library and we closing now and people are wanting to leave!!! just wanting to give ya some tips to a healthy long life of a crab.. check the food sites they can eat so many things and it is so good for them!!

7. deniselovestochat

I read a little more and am not handling them anymore it was just that once. Both of them go under the substrate in the day and come out at night. I put some plastic rap on the top and left a small space for air flow. I will get better top when I get some money. The heating pad is on one side on the bottom they dig down on the cooler side of the tank. The humidaty stays at 75 and the temp is also 75. I mist the tank every day and clean out the water and food daily. Today one was under the food dish and started clicking at me. So I just washed it and put it back lol. The salt I use is premixed for hermit crabs if thats not good then I will get some instant ocean. The crab food I got had copper sofate in it so I threw it out and I am giving them fresh food.

8. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

welcome. I always say.... do something once a week that you are afraid of, builds character.  :troll: :welcome: :hermzpoo: :HCR: :hiding: :icon_albino: :nike: :flytinypig2: :usa2: :toothy11:

9. scoobdoo

isn't it cool to get chirped at!!!  I laughed so hard when mine did it to me! I picked mine up and chewed his crabby little butt off cause he was attacking my other crab and he chirpped at me really loud!

10. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Hi, I'm New Here!

i wished my crabs can chirp, they just do Morse code with their shells. and it is so loud!  :angel12:
    evill crabbies  :muahaha:

11. :welcome: to the site and the interesting world of HC!

12. scoobdoo

sometimes they do it and it's so faint and fast you are like what was that?  :think: then they don't do it again for a long long long time..

13. Klabelle

When I was getting my crabs at PetCo a year? or so ago (I think it will be 2yrs in nov. man does time fly!).
    It's been so long I sorta forget.
    There was 1 bullying another crab he he was rage-chirping and it was hilarious!  :hahahaha: .
    Mine have never chirped at me, ever, which is sad but probably a good thing lol
    Mine do the Morse code thing too sometimes XD
    but mostly they wave their antennae around at me