1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Crabber questions

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by scruffy, Apr 23, 2011.

1. scruffy

scruffy Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello,
    I am obviously new to this,  I have 3 new hermits (pps i think)
    My crabitat is setup as follows.

coco fiber substate, salt and freshwater dish climbing vines and branches,
    thermometer and hygrometer, shells and coco hut.
    Temp 75 to 80
    humidity  70 to 80
    daylight and nighttime bulbs

My question is,
    All 3 of my hermies are very active and seem happy (at least happier than they were at the pet store) The thing is it seems like all they want to do is dig in their substrate, when i put in the nightlight 2 of them come out but one usually just hangs out in the hole.
    when they are out they all like to hang out at the saltwater dish and climb in the vines but when morning comes they are all in holes they have dug.
    Any help with why they are doing this would be much appreciated,  I am pretty good with reptiles but this is my first crack at hermies.

Thanks

2. thetruechina

thetruechina (Small Crab)

:madhouse: One out two reasons they could be doing what they are doing they could be destressing seeing they are in a better environment than what they were in. Two they could be getting ready to molt. They eat and drink alot before they do and when they go down whatever you do not dig them up. It will stress them out. Keep your humitidy at about 75-80 as well. I just went thru two molts about a month ago. As long as you have good food and water and the right conditions they will do what they need to do. They know what they are doing. If you have any questions there are alot of more experienced crabbers here someone will get back to you. Read the care sheets theres alot of info here. Other than that have fun with you and your new babies.

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

correct. They know what they are doing. Just don't interfear with that. If they are active eatting and drinking than that is a great sign. Make sure the substrate is deep enough so they can molt if they need to.When I first started crabbing over 3 yrs ago my crabs would always dig and sleep in the substrate but I didn't have a molt for a while after I got them. They might just like sleepin in a hole.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Mine are great tunnelers (?).  They love the EE and every morning there are holes everywhere.  Not all of mine do it, but some of it could be instinct.  In the wild they are wonderful treats for the birds in the day time, and other assorted animals, and at night they face many obstacles too.  So some may prefer to tunnel for the sense of security they get while moving about.

As  thetruechina and Trixie said, they know what they're doing and with a little help from us, they'll be loving life.  :flower:

5. scruffy

scruffy Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey,
    I appreciate everyone's input,  The substrate is plenty deep enough and the humidity from what i have read is perfect.  If will definitely post in the future
    Thanks