1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New crabber and a question

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by lbanimals, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbanimals

lbanimals Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello, I'm new to the crab world...lured there by Ms. Piccalo herself and all of her stories and pictures of her rescues.

I bought 4 small hermit crabs yesterday, have them in a heated 10 gallon, humidity/temperature good, sand and coco fiber mixed, regular water and salt water, new shells, etc.

My question is that one of the crabs, the most active rambunctious of them all (Brew), was eating for what seemed like hours. In the food bowl when I woke up and five hours later was still in there. When I checked on him during that time he was nearly always in the food dish although every so often he would wander off and rest in the corner and then come back to the food dish.

At one point, one of the other crabs was at the same small food dish and the active guy was planted right on it and the other had to stay right at the edge.

Do crabs guard food? The active guy was making eating gestures every time I checked him out, but he was literally there for five hours.

I've been prowling the boards for a few days now, so I thought I would just jump in head first.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

2. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

First I would like to say hello and welcome here lbanimals! [​IMG]
    Not knowing what this poor little baby has been through, it is quite possible he is eating and eating to fill up.
    He might also be in dire need of a molt and since he now has access to food and water, getting ready.
    I got a new crab about 5 weeeks ago, he stayed in the food dish overnight, went back and forth from food to water. By morning, he dug under to start his molt.
    I am sure he could also be food guarding, as in many, many cases, once an animal has been starved, they will become food aggressive or guard their food. They know they have been without food, and do not want to ever be without again, so will guard every morsel when it is available.

3. lbanimals

He does seem to be food guarding now. I watched him duke it out with another crab who wanted some food. He had started out near the edge of the dish but then planted himself right in the middle of it and was swinging at the other guy whenever he tried to get some.

I have two food dishes, but this one is just more exciting, I guess.

I imagine adding a larger food dish in this same spot or moving it to another area may help. He is a fiesty sucker.

And thank you for the welcome!

4. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

Hello and welcome,
    I would like to suggest adding several little dishes of food. You have 4 hermies so put in 6 small dishes, and in a week or 2 take one out, then in another week or 2 take 1 more out til you have what you want.

I have 4 very good size dishes at all times.

5. lbanimals

Good idea. I will work on adding new dishes. In the meantime I put a little cap of peanut butter in there and he was so busy hoarding that and eating it for hours on end that everybody else got to eat from the other dishes.

So, adding dishes should work just fine.

Thanks!

6. kittykat

kittykat Hi, I'm New Here!

welcome lbanimals. u probably know that this is a great and friendly site. i luckily don't have any food guarders. i have also put in peanut butter, and noone touched it. i guess my guys don't like it. i do have a question for anyone though. i have dried fruits for my birds (it says all natural and even suggests that humans can eat them) can i safely give some to my crabbies, and should i smash/grind them or put them in the little chunks the way i give it to the birds? thanks
    danielle

7. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Danielle,
    I use Kaytee Healthy Toppings (for birds) for my crabs and they just adore them. Especially the Carrots & Greens combined in a chopper with the Raspberries & Coconut. I also give them the KHT Bird Greens, Mixed Nuts and Apple bits.

I grind all of my food with the exception of things like freeze dried krill and shrimp because they are so soft the crabs have no problem eating them. I rehydrate the apple bits with a few mists of dechlorinated water because they don't do well in the food chopper. In one of my recent posts I indicated that I have found that when the food is ground up, it is easier for them small guys (and the big (lazy) guys LOL) to eat and you get the added benefit of reducing the likelihood that food will be dragged out of the dish and into the substrate (where it can mold).

8. Medley

Medley Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi I am really sorry I can not help you with your little crabbies!!!
    BUT WELCOME TO THIS SITE!!! I HOPE YOU LIKE IT!!! I MUST SAY IT IS A REALLY GOOD SITE SO WELCOME!!!!
    [​IMG]
    http://groups.msn.com/hermitcrabhelpers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.