1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New crabber (again) and am nervous!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by pencilcreations, Jan 3, 2011.

1. pencilcreations

pencilcreations Hi, I'm New Here!

I am so glad I found this forum. I am not new to hermit crabs-just cant seem to keep them alive. I first discovered hermit crabs about 20 years ago when I was a teenager. I had about 7 but didn't know a thing about keeping them alive and eventually they all died. A few years ago my daughter discovered hermit crabs so we bought a strawberry crab and another pp I think. I had received a little bit more information from petco and bought a little bit more supplies, bu eventually they both died. One kept loosing his legs and we had no idea why. A few years later, we have purchased 6 hermit crabs from a local souvenier shop and let me tell you their advice is completely different than what I am reading here. We have 3 separate plastic cages (one for each kid=no fighting-lol). The store was telling me I could fit about 10 in each cage and that plain tap water was fine and that we needed to handle them often so they get used to us. I am so glad that I came across this site. I feel like I am sending these poor little crabs to their death if I don't change their habitat. I am going to get either an ex terra terrium or  a fish tank today so they will have more space, along with a heater and temp/humidity gages.  Right now their little plastic tanks feel so cold. I am planning on ordering some subtrate from Hermit Crab Patch-anyone use this?

For now, what can I do to keep the hermit crabs happy until I can get their new habitat up and running? I read about putting a moist towel over the lid for humidity and covering the other side with saran wrap-is this correct? Won't this block all the air flow?

Thanks so much for all your advice. I really want these little guys/girls to make it.

Tina

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Glad you found this site. Here's a link with information you can read and print out.

http://thehermitcrabaddiction.net/forum/index.php?topic=427.0

3. pencilcreations

Thank you Vicki. That does help. I just got back from petsmart and bought a Exo Terra kit, a undertank heater (not sure if its the right size), some instant ocean and dechlorinator. Hopefully they will be much happier in their new home. Am getting ready to give them the salt water bath I read about on the newcomers post and will put them in their new home. I hope it all turns out good. After seeing the hermit crabs at petsmart with no water, makes me want to bring them all home! Poor little guys.

I will post some pictures as soon as I have everything all set up so you can give me some more pointers. Thanks!

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

read, read, read then read some more is the best advice and if ya don't read what you are looking for then ask away! There are no stupid questions. We have all been there in some situation got the wrong advice from a pet store or that  dreaded mall person who sells them in the small plastic critter keeper with the " kit " and says this is all you will ever need to have then in a few weeks you have dead crabs. we all either use play sand from Lowes or Farm King or Eco Earth or known as E.E. comes in brick form. I love the way the sand looks but man it is heavy & I can't carry the bags, then there is what to do with it when I clean my tank? You dump it out side & it is still there 6 months later like an eye sore. E.E. at least you can use it like mulch and it does have crab poo in it now if it is good for you plants or not I don't know?  :hahahaha: but it breaks down. I just don't like the sight of it but I can carry it but it is more $  3 bricks of it here run a round 8 -10$ takes about 3 of them to fill my 20 gal tank. I have a full size lid that part flips up ya know like the fish tanks { well it was a fish tank  I got at a yard sale } but I have the moon glo bulb shines purple/ blue adds just a little more heat and awesome cool lighting at night to watch them at night when they get active! I have 2 small uth mounting on my sides of my tank on the opposing corners on one end, I wasn't sure what size to buy either and all they had at the time was small and extra large.  Once you get them in the tank and get the basic set up everyone suggest hands off for a month I think it is, just do the foods and water clean the poo out but don't handle them, let them do their thing and chill out get used to their new digs, they will be stressed already and getting moved around into new situations and things is going to add to it.  I never knew about the hands off method, I never messed with mine since I was scared to death of them anyway! Mine were just dropped on me from my kid who decided he didn't want to take them to college after he had them for 2 months! I was so afraid I was using tongs to pick them up to move them! now not so afraid of them, even bought my own when I had one die.  Looking for new ways to re decorate the tank, ect.... yep ADDICTICED!

5. pencilcreations

Thank you so much for all your info! I have all the little crabbies in their new home. I think they are much happier than the little plastic totes they were in. They are much more active, even the one we thought we shy are now walking around. I did have 3 bury themselves today, which made me quite nervous since I had a crabbie die a few years ago when they buried themselves, but I am so happy because they resurfaced this evening to eat once the lights went out! I saw one muching away on some scrambled eggs! Too cute! Maybe they were just hiding from the lights since I definitely need more hiding places and climbing things. Thats tomorrows project.

I'm still a little confused on the eating routine, but think with some more reading and an order from the addiction store, I will be in better shape.

Thanks again everyone!

6. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

crabs all have their own routine don't ya know! LOL! Mine will eat at any given time of the day if there is food in there. I leave air popped popcorn in my tank usually everyother day and they will munch on it when ever. mine just don't do the eggs, did the fish oil capsuls last night & some dried shrimp, snubbed his nose at it, but who knows he could of went back later.

*you can pop popcorn using olive oil { hey people crabbers if I'm wrong jump in cause I air pop only!} but they love it!