1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Crab

Discussion in 'The HCRU Family Photo Album - Say Cheese.' started by jtswife, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

You can just pop it in a brown bag in the microwave or air popper. No salt or butter though. I stick mine in hot and the smell attracts them and draws them out.

2. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I'm a little concerned that the tank may get a little crowded. Are all th PP's kind of on the large side too. I have a 29 gallon and four strawberries, none of them jumbo. They like to have a lot of room to move around. That 29 seems to be awfully small right now and we're thinking of upsizing. The tank is the strawberry's whole world now. The PP's can come out and play to get exercise but the straw can't. She's going to need a lot of elbow room.

3. jtswife

jtswife "First Molt, A Success"

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking that my tank is small. My PPs are small. Right now they are dug under. The straw is by himself. I was thinking on making a second level, maybe? Is the straw too big to climb?

4. nancy

I don't know if there's ever a point when they are too big to climb. I wouldn't think yours would be. I use the bendable reptile ving and all of my straws climb it, even my biggest one. They all climb into the moss pits every day. Just get her something very sturdy to climb on,

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

For the bigguns try getting some big choya logs and those wouldn't be a problem for them to climb at all.

6. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

Is this the same diet that all crabs should be eating or just straws?

7. jtswife

jtswife "First Molt, A Success"

I'm under the impression that they need a little bit more variety of different foods. I thank Nancy and Vckums for helping me out on what a Straw needs.:) When they told me what my Straw needed, he raided the food bowl, day and night. With Vckums help, I ordered the wild reserve, got it today, put it in his bowl, and he went wild over it:D He is very different from my PPs, he hangs out all day long and night, of course.

8. nancy

Actually, I feed all of my species the same. Every meal includes protein, Zeaxanthin, calcium, and cellulose. I think diet maybe more critical for a strawberry. My crabs get a variety of seaweeds sprinkled on their foods. I also include a lot of seasalt and calcium also sprinkled on their foods. Vicki's Wild Reserve is a very good source of cellulose. I sprinkle that on my foods or sometimes an oak leaf. They always have a piece of oak bark in the crabitat. I know this didn't really answer your question, but I believe we should give all of our crabbies the best diet that we can.

9. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

Just curious as to haw Flamz is adjusting to his new found home?

10. nancy

I was too. You've made wonderful progress with his diet. Please keep us updated. Thanks.

11. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Yeah looks like a Strawbery hermie

12. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

well dont freak out too much, ive been crabbing for like 5 or 6 years and i finally got two straws. as long as you keep the temp and humidity up with salt water in the tank you should be okay. ive had my straw for like a month or two and they are great. they smaller one had molted about a week ago and i was freaking out but she is popping up to say hello and then back under for some serious de-stressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.