1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Crab

Discussion in 'The HCRU Family Photo Album - Say Cheese.' started by jtswife, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtswife

jtswife "First Molt, A Success"

Ok, I went and bought another crab. My thirteen year old has dubbed him, Flamz.:) what kind is he?[​IMG]

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Ohhh, Flamz looks to be a Strawberry. You had better read up a lot on these babies as they need some pretty specialized care!! Really high humidy and salt levels. Good luck with Flamz. He's beautiful!

3. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

well, he looks like a Perlatus. Here's some info. You shouldn't have bought him. Perlatus crabs are so delicate as you will read here.
    Perlatus hermit crabs are the most delicate species of hermit crab imported into the United States. They require very specific conditions in order to survive in your crabitat. They need warmer temps around 80 degrees and higher humidity, also around 80%. They must have a saltwater pool that is deep enough for them to fully submerge. Since their pool must be so large and they need a lot of space to roam, you should probably have at least a 20 gallon tank and I wouldn’t put more than two or three in that size tank. Most experienced hermit crab owners would recommend that you have kept hermit crabs for at least six months to a year before you buy strawberry hermit crabs.
    These aren’t the kind of hermit crabs that you want to take out of the tank and play with; they need to be left alone in their crabitat and watched. They’re very active and they like to destroy tanks at night, knocking everything over that gets in their way. They are good with all other species of land hermit crab, so it’s perfectly safe to put them in the same tank as purple pinchers, cavipes, rugosus, ecuadorians, and indos.

4. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Do be carefull.

5. jtswife

Great, now I feel special:) I have a 28 gal. with six PPs. I do have a large salt water bowl. Temp ranges from 72-75 and humidity 75-80. Ohhh, what was I thinking?:eek: One PP, I've had for 10 mos. the others, 2mos.

6. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

There are a couple of people on here that have Straws ... I know Nancy is one of them. Maybe you can get some advice from her. I know even the most advance crab owners have difficulty raising them, so as I say, try to find out as much as you can! You MAY have to keep them in a separate tank just because the humidity level required is much higher, but someone who has them can help you! I would love one too, but I won't go there, at least not yet!

7. jtswife

So, can I have PPs with a straw, if it is?:confused: How do I get a hold of nancy?

8. jtswife

Gotta admit, he is beautiful, he is raiding all the food in the tank:)

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

Ok take a deep breath! Feel better?:D

Straws do require a bit more care, but not much. I'm sure you'll do ok. Make sure you have a salt water pool/bowl that is deep enough for him to submerge. Raise the temperature up to 80. Have it so that your gauge in the middle of the tank(from substrate to top) reads 80. That gives 3 temperature zones. Thats about it for care that you need to get done.

They do like to thrash the tank. Depending on his size, I cant tell by the pic, you may or may not need a bigger tank. How is he comapred to the PP's, size wise?

They are delicate, yes. He may make it and he may not. Same as any other crab you get from the store. However, trying to make it so he has everything possible to give him a shot at making it is key. As for saying you shouldn't have bought him, I don't see why that was needed to be said. He's got a better chance of making it in your tank then in the pet store, period. I wouldnt take him out of the tank, but then I don't take any of mine out. Im a hands off owner.

10. jtswife

That's what I was thinking. He is a little bigger than my big PP. The temp in 76 and humidity is 80. I will need some shells to buy. Do you have any? Anyways, yes I do have a big clam shell full of salt water. Ocean salt. One of my PP's loves the salt water too.:)

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

I do have big shells. Figure out the size he's in now, and get ones with a little bigger openings.

You will need to stop using the clam shell for the salt water. The container for water needs to be as big as him, even a bit biger. They sometimes submerge in it. He would have to be able to cover his body and shell all the way under the water. Tupperware works great for this. I also have some for sale in the store. I have E's who go under the water.

12. jtswife

WoW, you're fast. Ok, I have ordered some food from you, and I can look at your shells. How do I know how to determine the size he needs. He is pretty Big.:)

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

Is there an extra shell in there thats about the size of the one he's in? You can then take that shell, measure the opening of it. Now you know what size opening he's in. Just get some that are bigger then that one he's in. I'll help ya with opening sizes once you tell me and show you what shells I have.

14. jtswife

No shells like his.:cool:

15. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hi. I heard my name called. What I do with my tanks is to have moss baskets. The straws love to hide in them and they eat the moss, which provides them with sea salt. My tats have ecoearth, soaked in salt water. I keep the humidity up by spraying with a weaker salt solution and their food is allways sprinkled with spirulina, cuttlebone, and sea salt. I have a 29g set up with four straws in it. With your crabitat I thik I would just "salt" it up some more. Feed the crabs a balanced diet including protein, calcium, Zeaxanthin, and cellulose. I haven't had straws very long but I've had one successful molt, no naked crabbies, no tank trashing, and no aggression. If you want more details, let me know. Good luck. She's a beautiful straw.

16. jtswife

My FB is soaked in salt water and when I spritz it is salt water. Ocean salt. Moss, what kind and where do I get it? Right now he is eating some oats, grits, unsalted roasted sunflowers, dried shrimp, cornmeal, cuttle bones. I ordered some food for the crabs from vckums site. Should that be ok too? He has been eating like crazy?:)

17. nancy

I'm talking about what is known as reptimoss or spagnum moss. It's sort of a tannish color. Looking over what he is eating, the only element he is missing is cellulose. Cellulose is a pre-curser to chitin. It comes from oak leaves and bark, unseasoned popcorn, and corncob. Some of Vicki's mixes contain cellulose, such as the wild range reserve. I think that's what it 's called. For getting the sea salt to sprinkle on food, they sell it in the grocery store. Just make sure there is nothing added to it. The best way to take care of any crab is to take as good care of it as we can. I'll help you further with your diet. Just let me know.

18. jtswife

TY, I will order some right away.:) I think I'm going in the right direction, I use sea salt on my PP's food already, I do their bedding in salt, they have fresh and salt water. I just need to get some moss and some ranger food, and a big salt water bowl instead of my large clam shell. Temp is 77 and Humidity is 80. Oh, and bigger shells for him. Do I mist the moss?

19. nancy

Yes, you always mist the moss with salt water, especially right away because sometimes it contains insect eggs. Salt water takes care of this nicely. The crabs can eat it if they want. All of my straws like to bury in the moss pits during the day, so don't worry if your straw does this. What I do with the Wild Reserve is to sprinkle some on the fresh foods I prepare. That way the crabs get a tasty flavoring and cellulose. Vicki also sells an oak bark meal that will probably contain a lot of cellulose. I know this sounds very complicated but once you begin to prepare foods using what's in your refrigerator it's extremely easy to provide a balanced diet. How large is your strawberry?

20. jtswife

He is big but, I don't know what is considered big? Moss, I bought some from a pet store it is called Beaked Moss Premium Reptile Bedding? All the stores had only that kind of moss. I orderd some food for him last night at the Addiction store. The PP's food has just arrived today?:) I bought white uncooked popcorn, do I pop it and break it up or, do I give him the whole popped corn?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.