1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Crab/New Crabber: Losing Limbs & More.

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by localgirl14, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. localgirl14

localgirl14 Hi, I'm New Here!

How long have you had the crab(s) in question?
    4 DAYS

Do you know what species they are?
    NOT A CLUE

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?
    WELL, YES. HE'S IN THE "CRAB CARRIER" WE GOT FROM THE FESTIVAL. BUT NOT MUCH LONGER - I'M GOING TO BUY HIM THE PROPER SUPPLIES TODAY! (I'm total new to this and had no clue til I read up on it today)

Tank Size:

Lid Type:
    PLASTIC LID WITH AIR HOLES (critter carrier, I think)

Placement of tank in your home:

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):
    SAND, MOIST, about 2"

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital
    :-( NONE, YET.

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy?

Placement of Gauges:

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees %
    NOT SURE. I KEEP A DAMP CLOTH OVER THE TOP OF THE CARRIER LID AND HAVE A 20w LAMP HOVERING OVERHEAD.

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it):
    UV LAMP.

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage):
    20W UV LAMP

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide?
    EEK...NOT REALLY.

Is there any metal in your tank?
    NO.

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank?
    ONE LARGE SHELL, 3 SMALLER SHELLS. (The carrier is just too small.)

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?
    BOTTLED WATER.

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use?
    EEK! NO! SALT WATER? OH BOY....

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges?
    HAVE A SHELL THAT I'VE BEEN WASHING DAILY W/SPRING WATER.

How many extra shells do you have for each crab?
    1 SO FAR.

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank?
    YES. (Thank goodness.)

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in?

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?
    YES

How often do you handle them?
    TRIED 3 TIMES.

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc?
    NO.

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank?
    TRIED ON DAY 3 W/NO RESPONSE.

What types of foods do you feed?
    SO FAR TRIED APPLES, LETTUCE, WHEAT BREAD, CRACKER AND GROUND BOILED EGGSHELLS.

What do you use as a calcium supplement?
    EGGSHELLS, SO FAR. (Plan to buy calci-sand today, if he's going to survive)

HELP!
    We just "won" this poor guy at a festival over the weekend and brought him home with no more instruction than: spritz it with water once a day and feed it anything a human would eat except citrus. I read lightly on care and put a heat lamp over his carrier and a damp cloth for humidity.

HOWEVER...My poor crab has been pretty lethargic and I pulled it out last night to see if it was alright. After holding him in my hand for about 10 minutes, he came out and started moving about oddly. I noticed he couldn't stand well and kept falling over on his left side. Then, this morning, I came to check on him and his large claw and a leg have broken off. (Yes, I understand now that it's from stress and he's not molting.) He's partially out of his shell and I've been reading for 4 hours on care for this poor thing w/no info on something critical: Is he dying and can I save him?

I'm on a mission to run out and buy everything I need to put this guy in a proper environment, but does anyone know if it's too late? If not, I'm making a mad dash now...my son thinks he's sleeping...and I want that to be the case and don't want to lose this poor guy!

2. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

I don't know for sure if he's going to die but last time I had one that acted like that, it did end up dying. I know you posted this a few days ago but if he did die you said that you were going to get everything that you needed so you could always get him a couple new ones. After going through god knows what before you got him, you may have just done all you could but he/she could have just had too bad of a life before you got it. I've had a few that have died after I got them home because of that. Good luck.

3. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

Don't be discouraged!

You are doing the best you can with what you have available.

Crabs who lose limbs like that lose them from stress. I am sure his home from before the festivel was less than appropriate.

I'd say, hand off for a least a month. The only thing you should do is change him into his new home and then leave him be.

There is a good chance that he will pass, but don't be afraid to get a couple new crabs!

You will know he has passed when there is a strong dead fishie oder coming from the cage.

**I'd hate to say "it's too late, he will die" becuase I just don't know. I don't know the likelyhood of a crab surviving with the loss of his big pincher. Maybe someone else is better informed. However, you can't do anything but try, and if he passes, then I am sure you will have better luck with any new crabbies.

GL and keep us posted.

4. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

Also, if you want a list of things to pick up at the store:

A glass tank, 10g.

More sand. Don't buy that expensive Calci-sand, its too fine and crabs need to be able to bury themselves. Play sand from Home-Depot works well (make sure it is a proper color and it doesnt have any strange oder)

Not sure how big your crabbie is, but the depth of the sand needs to be at least two times he height.

Two water dishes, fresh water (which you have) and salt water.
    **I just buy fresh water gallons at the grocery store and I bought something called Instant Ocean to put into one.
    MARINELAND.COM - CONSUMER PRODUCTS

Humidity and Temp Guage.

If you don't want to continue to use eggshells, cuttlebone is another good calcium suppliment. It's usually in the bird section of the store and its about 90 cents for 1 (which will last a while)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.