1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Crab-Most of Legs Missing

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by darasgirl, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darasgirl

darasgirl Hi, I'm New Here!

my sister got a new crab today on impulse, without having him come out. When we saw him, he we found he had only both pincers, the two back legs and one walking leg. He's also sort of blue, but does have a purple BP, I'm not sure if blue is normal? He is digging now, but I had a similar situation crab dig down and die, so is there anything else I can do?

How long have you had the crab(s) in question?
    less than an hour

Do you know what species they are?
    probably PP

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?
    no

Tank Size:
    10 gal

Lid Type:
    wire

Placement of tank in your home:
    upstairs bedroom bookshelf

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):
    moist eco-earth, about 4"

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital
    Analog

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy?
    no

Placement of Gauges:
    back of tank, away from the light and not above water

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees %
    77 degrees, humidity 65% but just bought and added about 3 minutes ago

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it):none yet

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank?
    plant

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?
    dechlorinated tap

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?
    zoo med

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use?
    yes, zoo med salt water stuff

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges?
    both

How many extra shells do you have for each crab?
    >3

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?
    yes

How often do you handle them?
    whenever they come up when I'm awake... maybe once a week

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc?
    not here, can't speak for Petco

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank?
    occaisionally

What types of foods do you feed?
    dried fruit, pellets, egg, eggshell, ground beef,

What do you use as a calcium supplement?
    cuttlefish bone mixed in food/honey
    </span>

A lot of these questions probably aren't relevant because he's been here about half an hour,but two others have been there a few months- one just finished his first molt, the other is probably down molting. Any suggestions for the new guy's health would be great.

2. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

My biggest question:

Did you ISO? If not...why?

A crab in that state makes me worry about loads of things, like the condition he was kept in. If he's not just been abused, and is actually sick (mites, etc), you need to be sure he gets a proper iso period. If he's that bad off, he probably could use a good molt in iso too.

3. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Poor hermie. . . After a couple of molts he'll get his legs back. . .

4. darasgirl

darasgirl Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, I'm going to try setting up an iso now. I just don't have much space.

5. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Good!!! How big will it be??? Ten gallons is a perfect size. . .

6. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

You need something other than the ZooMed water stuff. It removes some chlorine, but not chloramines or heavy metals (which hermies are sensitive to). Also, the salt water conditioner doesn't provide the ions crabs need to help their muscles contract (that's why they need the salt water, same as how we need electrolytes). They don't even recognize it as salt water in my experience - I adopted two who were given that for over a year and, when offered ocean water, both ran to the bowl and literally immediately jumped in.

If you're going to dechlorinate tap water, API is probably the best dechlorinator you can use. It doesn't remove all heavy metals, but it gets both chlorine and chloramines. If you don't feel like dechlorinating, you can buy gallon jugs of distilled or reverse-osmosis treated water at the grocery store for under $1. This has none of the chlorine/chloramine/heavy metal stuff in it like tap water does. For salt water, you need a salt water aquarium salt water mix. It'll be in the fish section. These create ocean water, which is what our crabs need. The best brands are Instant Ocean and Oceanic.

A few other notes, you need to test your humidity gauge to see if it's reading properly. There's a thread on this forum about how to do it. Do you have your lid covered with anything (plexiglass, plastic wrap, etc.)? Do you have any other crabs? Crabs are social creatures and prefer friends. How deep are your water bowls?

As for the pellets, look at the ingredients. Do they list ethoxyquin or copper sulfate or any other 'chemical' sounding thing? If so, they will eventually kill your crab. The preservatives in crab food, ironically, double as insecticides and are toxic to crabs. Do get rid of those - they aren't healthy for him. You're doing a great job providing protein and calcium for your new guy - definitely important with his leg issue. I would suggest adding more fruits and veggies (not onions or garlic), but they do like their fruits and veggies. They're important because of the cellulose they provide - they help strengthen exos and the coloring compounds in them will help him get better coloring with each molt.

7. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

he might molt and get him legs bacl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.