1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Crab is never tucked in his shell

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by cococrisp, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

OK I got three new crabs today and one is really small. He is always out of his shell. Not fully out but peeking his head out. I don't know if he is sick or something. I can pick him up or touch him or anything and he stays out. He is quite active but his skin is very pale. I don't know what is wrong. He has fresh food and water. At first I though it was that he was cold because he was out in the cold for about a minute in the transfer of adoption. I heard that they become inactive. It has been about three hours and he is still like this. His two buddies are fine and one has already changed out of his painted shell. I don't know what to do...:confused::( Before they had been eating commercial food and maybe it was that but.. I don't know Help guys!:confused: Please They did have an hour drive to get ther so maybe he is carsick like I was:confused:

2. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

the color is probably from him molting before. put him in iso. maybe he just is outgoing! my goodness! first your crab wont come out now he wont go back in! =D

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

If it were me, I would put the new crabs in the ISO tank for two weeks or so. This way it gives them time to de-stress from changing from one enviroment to a brand new one. It'll also give you time to keep an eye out for any health problems or mites, etc. I would refrain from handling them also, let them de-stress and then you can introduce yourself. Gradually get your ISO conditions to match your main tank conditions so there isn't a sudden change which could stress them out even more. It sounds like a lot I know, but in the long run, it's best. You wouldn't want your new tank possibly infested, or have a newbie bury himself and then die and have to dig up the whole tank looking for him.
    It's a good thing you're doing by adopting, so hang in there, be patient, and you and the crabbies will be happier in the long run. :)
    Good luck....

4. cococrisp

OK all three are in ISO. One has molted I think. I'll never get around to changing the dirt now:eek:. The little one is just sitting there and he has not tucked in once:(. He seems so small and weak.

5. cococrisp

Help! I don't think he will make it:eek:. I can even see his tiny legs! Help!

6. cococrisp

He has not moved in three hours and I'm looking desperately but I don't think he'll make it and I've done everything anyone has suggested.

7. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I would just put food and water right in front of him so he hardly has to move to drink. You can do it, Snap! Good luck

8. cococrisp

I have but he can't move and has not moved all day. It's not like he came out of his shell and ran around like people describe.

9. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

oh! he cant move! TWO WORDS FOR HIS LIFE "HAND FEED"

10. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I'm sure Cococrisp is doing all she can for her little hermie.:)
    She's going through a hard time right now, and when you use all capital letters in a post, it makes it seem like you are yelling. I'm sure you didn't know, and I hope I don't upset you by mentioning it. I'm just trying to share what little bit I know. :)

11. cococrisp

I don't think I want to stress her by hand feeding but, Hermez or Vckums or someone else please join this conversation. I don't know if I should shove food up his mouth. And the little bits that I could break of would be like shoving a whole pancake in one bite. I don't want to accidentally shove it up his ear or nose.:) He is just sitting in his food bowl and how can you starve in a grocery store!

12. cococrisp

She just... I don't know what to say. All of you have been so helpful but snap- Snap died this afternoon.:( And she was in her favorite little pottery bowl. And so now Snap is buried with her food and dish and hiding spot and on top of her is a little pot that says snap. I could not think of anything to say. And I don't think I'll be able to enjoy any of the cake my mom made or anything else. And I've been crying all day. And I could name 1 million If I s but now she's gone and will be gone forever so it's no use. She was my smallest crab and I'll never get one smaller. She told me how wonderfully outgoing little guys can be after my first shy ones. And I'll never have a friendlier crab. I'll never have a smaller crab. I'll never have another Snap. So Rest In Peace Snap and I'll always remember you

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

I'm sorry you lost snap.

After reading all your posts I don't think it was anything you did, nor could you have done anything else. It honestly sounds like PPS and either the crabs make it or they don't. The journey from the beach they were taken from to the pet store is really devastating on them.

14. Emii

Emii Hi, I'm New Here!

I don't know how old this thread is but I read something about hermits when picking them out don't pick out the ones that are always in their shell or ones that are not scared and don't hide in their shells. It usually means that something is wrong with them. :) Hope I helped.

15. cococrisp

This a very old thread of mine. I did not have the choices as I only adopt hermit crabs. When you don't buy from pet stores you get who you get and I wanted to give him a good home no matter what. What you said is true about picking them out but that was not really within my reach.
    Thanks and I'm sure this will be able to help others.;)

16. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Not an expert sounds like new shell. I have the same thing but for Aqua she in a bigger shell.

17. cococrisp

No. his shells was the right size. Anyway, this is an old thread and no longer needs to be discussed. As I believe I stated before in this thread Snap died. :(

18. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Im so sorrty to here snap died he must have been spoiled with a great owner like u

19. cococrisp

I only only had him for a couple days.:( Poor guy was overwhelmed by the cold when i picked him up, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.