1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new crab, infestation and worried about my favorite crabs molt. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by marleyfish, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

Ok, here is the scoop. i found what i believe to be food mites in my tank to i took out all my crabs but Sebastian who was down for a molt out of the tank and into my isolation tub, after a long bath in salt water. That was two days ago. Then today my girlfriend and i were thrifting and decided to check out this place called "pet supermarket" They had some nice parrots and fish but then i see it...(the hermie tank) a bunch of what i think were e's or indo's in PAINTED FRICKING SHELLS!! ahh.. god i gave my girlfriend those puppy eyes and she looked at me and said "We're saving a crab today aren't we?" and of coarse i said yes. So i picked out the biggest one (who was wearing what appeared to be the smallest shell) and said that he was the one. So as we bring Goliath home a realize that Sebastian's tunnel is collapsed and it looks like he is in pieces! lucky for us it was just alot of exo that he had yet to eat but i needed to get him out so i could clean the tank, so i gave him a quick salt bath and dug him a hole to put him and his exo in in the iso tub. and now i am baking the e.e. that was in the tank. my main question is, is it safe to back e.e. when it had mites and reuse it? if so how hot and for how long?

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I ended up rinsing my e.e. then baking it on 350 for 20-30mins, for the regular tank, I washed that out by filling it to the rim with water and adding bleach. I left it out overnight to make sure all the bugs that could be in corners were bleached to death. After I made sure to rinse it well and sun-dried the tank to be sure the bleach evaporated.
    I'd suggest getting new bedding though in case for some reason the mites didnt die from the baking.
    Also, keep your crabs in the iso tank a little while longer and bathe them again (twice) before putting them back in.
    I had a mite problem for months and finally got rid of them, if it continues to be a problem, buy some crickets, they'll keep the numbers down till you can get rid of them.

Don't forget to boil their spare shells and stuff very well.

Good Luck with they mites :hug2:
    I know they can be a pain

3. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

thanks katz, i baked the e.e. at 425 for 40 mins in three batches. i think anything in there should be dead.

4. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I hope so, I loved the winter months in my location, I ended up freezing them in snow then baking the e.e but somehow 2months later they came back :idunno: I can honestly say I have no idea where they come from since I clean the tank weekly. I hope yours are dead and stay that way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.