1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New crab & a happy ending

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by BrittBritt, Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrittBritt

BrittBritt Hi, I'm New Here!

Oh my gosh this forum is amazing! All of you are so so so helpful! I don't think I would have made it this far without all of you. The past year has been quite an adventure having hermit crabs. I first started with 2 from petsmart, not knowing anything about them. I thought that the little tank I had was plenty big. As I quickly learned, that tank was wayyyyyyy too small. Unfortunately along that learning process one of my hermit crabs never recovered. I soon learned/realized that she was missing one leg from the beginning and she was a very ashy coloring (I bought her because her shell was a pretty white), I wish I had known she wasn't doing very well from the very beginning. Unfortunately the pet stores do not tell you very much when you buy them :sad5:
    I waited a few weeks and soon bought another hermit crab, this time from petco. I knew that hermit crabs should not be left alone. Everything was going great until one night I realized my original hermit crab (Felipe) was bullying my new one. That scared me and I then payed very close attention to them.
    Soon after my new hermit crab (Carlos) begin to act very sluggish and odd. And the next day he had a surface molt. I knew this wasn't normal and freaked!! I quickly isolated him and waited. He unfortunately did not survive and passed away. However I did notice that while he was naked with his surface molt, he had an odd green almost like mold patch on the middle of his side. Has anyone else experienced this? It still greatly confuses and saddens me :sad11:
    After that I waited quite awhile due to finals and such (I am a college student). Once I moved back home I bought another hermit crab from petsmart, hoping and praying that this one would make it. It was a very tiny one, no bigger than my pinky finger. She is a cute as can be!! I just had to have her. I brought her home and moved her into the smaller tank to destress and possibly molt and such. The first 2 days she climbed about her tank and all and seemed pretty normal. But then she became very lethargic. About 5 days after I got her, she disappeared.
    For the past month I have sat here day after day waiting and scared that she was dead. But today I finally decided to check through her tank and like magic I moved part of the climbing wall and I saw a few legs move and I knew that she was still here!! Then this evening when I went to go to bed, I walked past her tank and saw her crawling about near her food bowl. I was absolutely ecstatic!!!! :eek:nhead: She was still alive and moving!
    Seeing her this evening gave me such a warm feeling that I cannot wait to purchase more (most likely not from pet stores) and grow my hermit crab family.
    This forum has been such a great help to learning about hermit crabs and how to take care of them. It is the first place I go for any question. You guys rock!!! :rockz:
    That is my little hermit crab story in a nut shell and I hope there are many more happy endings!! :huggies:
    :heart: Brittany

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

Hi Britt and welcome to the forums :D
    Seems like you've had a pretty wild adventure with crabbing and it's nice to see you didn't give up after the first couple of mishaps.
    I've seen pictures of crabs that have had that green stuff and I think that is what this medicine back is for in the store.
    Also when they go down to molt, don't assume they're dead until 3 months have passed (mine actually take that long now sometimes longer!)

Good Luck and Happy Crabbing! :hermzpoo:

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Welcome to the Forum!! :vinkko: We're happy to have you here.
    Sounds like you're on the right track with your Hermies---Congrats. :hermez2:
    Lot's of great info and pictures and advice from the members here. If you have any questions or comments please share with us...we're a friendly bunch and we enjoy chatting about our Little Hermit Family. :straw:

4. Aguardian4mypets

Aguardian4mypets (Micro Crab)

Congratulations on a successful molt!! :banana: And :welcome: to the forum.

5. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

welcome to the site! congratulations on your hermies molt! makes a crabbie momma proud, doesn't it!
    :hermez2: :spunky: :dance: :sheep2: :saberfight:

6. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I still stress everytime mine molt! after mine molted once i started keeping track of about when they would molt and how long as a base line, sometimes they follow it if their conditions stay they same. helps ya keep from pulling your hair out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.