1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New, but is my habitat ok?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by nick-dadson, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Hi everyone,

I've had crabs before, in a little tank, I'm not sure what size it was. But I went away on holiday and my family, despite my best efforts to educate them managed to sort of kill my crabs, lol.

Anyway, I havn't gotten any since then, but just 2 weeks ago at a local department store I can across a 'hermit Crab habitat'. I bought it and it included a food/water dish, sponge, climbing frame, sand etc. But I'm concerned about it. You see it's plactice, but very sturdy, but it has 2 small wire panels.

The box says that this incourages a small amount of air flow, but Im concerned as on the main HCRU site is says that we say no to wire cages. Would this be classed as wire?

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

It is indeed wire. It would be hard to keep the humidity and temperatre stable with the wire panels. Can you take it back and get a 10g fish tank?

3. littlelucylu2007

littlelucylu2007 Hi, I'm New Here!

i got one like that. Is it blue?.Can u get a photo?

4. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Blue lid and base, clear sides and blue wire? From BigW?

5. littlelucylu2007

littlelucylu2007 Hi, I'm New Here!

yeah i got the same one so did my cousin
    how many crabs do u have i have 2 but know they r in a
    a tank u should try to get a tank if u get a tank put the wire pannels
    in for a climbing frame i wil try and get a picture my cousin has a tank now because hes hermit crabs escaped and he got 2 more then he found them
    it is to small for more than 2 crab
    i hope this helps
    littlelucylu

6. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Hey! Excellent.
    Yeah, I have a little tank too, but it's roughly the same size, So I won;t worry for now, LOL - I don;t even have crabs at the moment. I've been to the closest 2 pet stores, one of them had just been taken over, and the woman said she was keen to larn a little bit more about them first, while the other, and get this, LOL, I am not joking...

Said: 'Oh, sorry, no, and we won't be getting them either. Our last lot were making a run for it. People were brining them back in as they walked out the door...'

How ridiculous!! How hard is it to keep crabs contained!? :D

7. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

That's hilarious! Hey, if that other woman is keen on learning, you should take that as a great opportunity to get in there and teach her a thing or two...LOL. Maybe we can save a few with someone who actually cares about their conditions! That's great though that she wants to learn BEFORE she gets them. Good for her.

8. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Indeed, that's what I thought. She said she likes to learn before she gets any new type or breed of an animal in, which I think is great.

9. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

I bought 2 new crabs today, brought thme home and put them into my Big W crabitat - And they hated it! They barely came out of their shells and they had no privacy - Everytime someone walked past they went back into their shells.

So after an hour or so I got out my old little glass aquarium, only about 2-3 litres buts it does the job of 2 or 3 crabs really well. Instantly I noticed the crabs changed. The lid wasn;t even on, there was no light and I was moving things all around them but they were much happier with no wire pannels!

There were some lovely medium sized tanks at the pet shop where I got the crabs this morning, so if Im in there sometime I might get one, because it's now clear that crabs do know the difference between a cheap and expensive crabititat!!

I may post some pictures later.

Happy Australia Day to everyone in Aus!! Have a good one :)

10. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

the wire cages are a big no no! hermies require high humidy and plus the wire could rust and the crabs could hurt themselves on it.

Please dont buy andthing that says hermit habitat or starter kits. they are so wrong for hermies!

also please watchout for commercial food they contain harmful chemicals like ethoxyquin which can kill your poor crabs!

11. msmarvell

msmarvell (Micro Crab)

my question is why are these cages on the market? They look very eye pleasing to those who are uneducated. Do the maunfacturers have any knowledge on crabs? I wish I could return my stupid crab house.

12. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Exactly! The box even said wire panels for airflow to help keep your crabs healthy! How ridiculous. It looked so good t me at the time. That's how they suck you in to buying a piece of rubbish I guess.

13. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

the only way those crab houses are good is if you live by the ocean. lol. pet stores and suppliers have no idea about crabs so when they say that something is good for crabs... its normally not. thats why we have forums like this... to educate people on the prpoer care of their tiny little crabs!

14. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Do you still have the box that came with yours? Like the packaging? I've thrown mine out but I'd like to write to the company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.