1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New adoptees! And pass me the "Sucker" stamp.

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by kellie_1324, Apr 23, 2006.

1. vckums

vckums Moderator

Oh sorry! Im late, send me to bed!!! (please)

I got this info from another site, and the person used shredded paper. I didn't think that was the greatest to use, so I tweaked thier method. Here it is. I haven't shipped crabs, but I think this is the best way to do it. If anyone has suggestions for tweaking it, please share them. Remember this is just what "I" think would be the best way to package them and ship them.

"As far as packing goes, I use a cool whip dish, poke lots of holes in the lid and sides of the dish, and fill it half way with reptile moss dampened with dechlorinated water, I place the crabs on the reptile moss. I put some more damp reptile moss on top of them. Then I put the lid on. I let them crawl through the reptile moss, in the enclosed container, and holes for air. I also mist the them and the reptile moss a bit. They crawl through as if its sand or wet leaves and usually huddle together if I am shipping more than one. Then I put this container in a bigger box of shredded paper, making sure the shredded paper is all around the plastic container for support. I do this double packing thing because they won't jostle as much and. So far, ALL the crabs I have shipped have arrived alive, happy and healthy. This way, no one can hear them walking, chirping or making any sort of noise, plus there is more cushion and less jostling. Also I just about always give my crabs a bath before shipping, this way they have more moisture in their shells, as drying out is a big concern. It is usually warm while being shipped but you don't want them getting dried up.
    They must be shipped overnight. The wet reptile moss will give them humidity they need, plus a food source. "

2. Crabcrazy2

Crabcrazy2 (Small Crab)

:hello:
    Thanks, Vicki!  Soooooo, do we know this person/petstore?  Are they still in business to sell/ship crabs?  I'd really like to order from someone like this if I must have to resort to ordering them at all.  I want some E's and I've talked to all of the local petstores..I actually had one owner who asked her suppliers but she said that the suppliers she asked told her "A hermit crab is a hermit crab.  They're all the same."  She said she even explained about the different species but really got nowhere.  She is new in the petstore business.

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

EBV is a fantastic store(other then me seeing a baby chick in the snake cage, but I know snakes gotta eat too) and the owner and eployees are all very good. I have yet to come across anyone there who isn't open to suggestions and they took my cards and information and Keries as well. Im not sure if they've shipped crabs before, so that's why Im taking the info to them on Monday.
    The member whos having them shipped has this info, knows that Im giving it to EBV and will let me know how they arrive. If you want to purchase E's I'd suggest letting this be the trial run and see how it goes.

4. moire_eel

moire_eel Guest

Yes, yes, and might I add I am SO EXCITED, lol.  I'll take pics of the packaging and post them here if it's of general interest. 

5. Crabcrazy2

Crabcrazy2 (Small Crab)

Oh MAN!  I can't wait to find out what happens!!!!!  I'm excited for you, moire_eel!!  *holds breath and crosses fingers*  You will have to tell us all about it!  Please include the final cost...*counts pennies and checks couch for extra quarters* I saw the price for Delta Dash..ouch!  Hopefully you get what you pay for.  That's the way it should be.  EBV really does sound like heaven!  The BEST of luck to you and the crabbies!

6. Amie91280

Amie91280 "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Cool!  If the shipping goes well, I might be ordering some cavs and ruggies soon!

7. moire_eel

moire_eel Guest

I don't think I'll need to shell out for Delta Dash -- I am going to ask them if they will do FedEx next morning delivery, though.  I have done FedEx regular delivery with other invertebrates (crayfish, fiddler crabs, snails) and it has been 100 percent successful.  Morning delivery is just a little extra insurance that the package stays out of the hot Texas sun.  If it were July or August, I think Delta Dash might be worth considering, though.

Vicki, if this goes well you may need to offer a species identification course to the staff at EBV ...    :icon_smile: