1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New adoptees! And pass me the "Sucker" stamp.

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by kellie_1324, Apr 23, 2006.

1. kellie_1324

kellie_1324 Guest

Hey everyone!  Yesterday, I adopted three purple pinchers that one of my coworkers found on Petfinder's classified ads.  I've been telling myself for months that I wasn't going to get anymore...I have 9, 6 of which are PP's so I'm already lost on who's who for the most part.  After meeting the woman who was bringing them to me for her parents, I was really glad that I adopted them afterall!  They were in a larger sized KK, with brightly colored gravel.  They were being fed FMR Food & TetraFauna's Hermit Crab Cakes, although the lady informed me that they didn't eat that one much.  What a novel idea!  :idea1:  I didn't act surprised, this time around.  They did have a bunch of shells though.  Most of which were way to large for them.  No gauges in the KK either so I'm hoping they adjust smoothly to the higher humidity levels again.

This one is the smallest, a teeny in a nerite shell:
    [img=300x199]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/kellie_1324/Hermies/Purple%20Pinchers/IMG_6750.jpg[/img]

This is the middle sized, which is a small small:
    [img=300x199]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/kellie_1324/Hermies/Purple%20Pinchers/IMG_6752.jpg[/img]
    I REALLY hope he changes out of that magpie-type of shell soon.  Look at how akward his legs look!

Then this is the bigger of the three, a small:
    [img=300x199]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/kellie_1324/Hermies/Purple%20Pinchers/IMG_6747.jpg[/img]

Okay, now for the sucker stamp.   :help:  I went to Petco since I was close to it, just going to see if they had a ruggie, cav or indo so my three lone species wouldn't be alone anymore.  No luck.  Another Petco that just has PP's and an occasional straw.  AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGEMENT, and Vicki ignoring my calls for help on BOTH of her phones....I got all attached to the straw and ended up taking it home with me.  Its a large straw...so I really have no faith in the poor thing making it for too long because I just don't believe that it will adjust to life in captivity.  I wasn't going to get it because I swore that I'd get NO more straws, ever!  But the poor guy had a piece of its leg broken off on the BP side and its exo looked really dry and I'm gluten for punishment.  Put those three things together, and you've got me giving in and bring her home with me.  Vicki finally called me back as I was leaving the parking lot with her.  We both laughed because this straw will probably be the hardiest one in my group since I've got no faith in her at all.  She needs a good, inspirational name!  I was thinking Hope, but I dunno..too cheesy.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

And how many of you are noticing PPs only in Petco's?  I don't know if its regional, or national.  But the one I got the Straw from said they switched suppliers.

Oh yeah, and the pics of the straw.  You can see the snapped leg here, its the outter most leg:
    [img=300x199]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/kellie_1324/Hermies/Strawberry/IMG_6753.jpg[/img]

Enjoying the salt water:
    [img=300x199]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/kellie_1324/Hermies/Strawberry/IMG_6754.jpg[/img]

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

*ahem* I was doing a lady's hair so I have an excuse for not getting the phone. Plus I thought it was Scott LOL  You probably would've gotten her anyways. Who listens to me??  :tongue3: I know my kids don't, as my Dad was fond of saying Lord love a duck!

I like Cherish for a name..

3. kellie_1324

kellie_1324 Guest

I like Cherish!  Thats a good idea.  Could call her "Cherry" for short.  Cherry, Cherry da Strawberry.   :laughing7:

And, even though I say I was calling you to talk me out of it....I KNOW you would have been my enabler and made be feel better about getting her, and not telling me to leave her there.  :eek:ccasion14: Its my secret code thats not so secret anymore.   :laughing9:

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

LOL now Im an enabler :dontknow:

5. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

How about "Light-Hearted" or "Lucky"ooo-oo-oo!! "Serene"!

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Ah I am glad you have the sucker stamp now.........she/he needs you--did u sex it yet? How about Noble/Spirit they were two I was gonna use before.

The other ones are too cute also! Are they named yet?

7. kellie_1324

kellie_1324 Guest

I had her sexed before I even decided to get her.........LOL  I picked her up and she came way out of her shell right away.  I can't name her Lucky, cuz I adopted a dog that came with that name.........lol  I like Serene though.  Spirit is great, but it might confuse my son.  He's a "Spirit" the horse fan.  Its still a great idea tho. 

The PP's, I *think* were all male, the teeny was hard to see.  I asked the lady, and she said they weren't named, so they're searching for their own identity as well.   :icon_smile: 

Herm, you can gladly take the sucker stamp back whenever you'd like.  I told my hubby that they only charged me for a large, not a straw...which was a major lie....LOL  But I had cash, so he'll never know the difference.   :headbang:  And Vicki, yes...you are an enabler.   :wav:

8. Amie91280

Amie91280 "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Awww Kellie, Sorry I missed this for so long!  Cute crabbies, I hope the straw does well! 

9. kellie_1324

kellie_1324 Guest

Thank you, Amie!!!! So far so good.  It took her a day to find the moss pit after I put them in the main tank.  I've caught her hogging up the food dish a few times too by sitting her big butt in it.  Whatrya gonna do?  :dontknow:  Good signs by all 4 of them though.  Yay!!  :hello2:

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

*hands Kellie the sucker stamp*  :tongue3:

How are they doing??

11. kellie_1324

kellie_1324 Guest

Actually, they're doing really good!  I did dig up my whole tank yesterday just for kicks & giggles since I'm using FB now and I didn't know how it would compress, etc.  I only had 3 down total, none looked like they were premolt, and only 1 was a newbie.  It was the 3rd PP in the pictures. 

I went with your name for the straw, and Cherish is doing great.  She's active, I had to save her last night because she was hanging from a plant that had a branch fall of a second level, and I could tell she was struggling to get back up, or how to get down...I intervened & put her back up on the level.  lol 

The PP in the Magpie lookin' shell still hasn't changed, but I guess she knows how she feels better than I do.  :dontknow:  Thanks for askin'!  :icon_thumleft:

12. moire_eel

moire_eel Guest

I also have a lone Ruggie, Cav and E who I'd like to find buddies for, and my Petco also has only PPs and Straws these days.  I know their supplier used to be CalZoo, which I thought got all species (except, I guess, Es).  Turns out they are still using CalZoo, and they didn't know why they didn't get the other species before.  So I emailed CalZoo, and got this response back:

I had asked about Ruggies, Cavs Ecuadorians, and Indos (giving the Latin and common names), so I take this response to possibly include Ruggies, Cavs and Indos as "reg indo".    Crabs from Haiti would of course be PPs... dunno what makes a Straw "B grade", but I didn't ask.  ;)  This was back at the beginning of March, FWIW.  If anyone who is still seeing these species at their Petcos could find out what supplier they use, I'd be interested to know ...

13. I know I have a lone cav and only two ruggies and would love to get a few more for them...  I know in another post there was something about Crab Street's "crab taxi" of sort, I wonder if that can be used or developed to get crabs of particular species to those who have lone ones that would benefit from the company of their own species...

14. vckums

vckums Moderator

At EBV, I can find rugs, cavs and E's...Im willing to drive a bit and use the CSJ taxi service to adopt them to good homes

15. Lisa

Lisa Guest

[align=center]yep, here ya go:
    SUCKER

very nice additions.  another good rescue.[/align]

16. moire_eel

moire_eel Guest

What's an EBV?  Not that it matters ... I'm all the way in Texas.  ;)  I didn't know there was anywhere on earth where you could expect to walk in and find a Cav.

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

I'm sorry Im so used to just saying EBV. East Bay Vivarium, it's a pet store out by me. They carry E's, Cav's and Rugs. They are in great condition, kept well. The staff really care about thier animals.

18. moire_eel

moire_eel Guest

OK, now I'm totally hijacking this thread.  But I have to say, that sounds like HEAVEN!  I don't suppose they would like to open a branch in Texas?    Seriously, I went and looked at their website, and since it seems they do some web/mail live animal business, whether it would be a good idea to try to order some hermit crabs from them.  When I've overnighted crayfish, they have arrived at my office building by 9am (one of the advantages of working for a large company, I guess).  the Petco near me is not horrible, but there's no store in Houston that I'd say is doing a really good job with hermit crabs.  And of course, we don't have much species diversity available here.  Hmmmm.....

19. vckums

vckums Moderator

Id give them a call and ask. But before they ship, there was some great info about shipping crabs. I can't get it at the moment, but will post it later on.

20. Crabcrazy2

Crabcrazy2 (Small Crab)

*Impatiently waiting for Vicki's info on shipping crabs*  :hiding: