1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 65g deep clean

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by Crabaddict, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

2. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

It looks incredible!!! How do you have those cholla pieces suspended? I have two cholla logs that I am not using right now....I wouldn't mind doing something similar!

A 65G has the same dimentions as a 40B, but is taller, right? (36" X 18" base)

3. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

:thanks:
    Yes, it's 24 inches high. I went from a 55g and I don't mind the 12 inches I lose in length. The width and height REALLY make up for it; couldn't be happier.

I suspend the choya wood because if it touches the substrate it starts to mold immediately. I put up those corner wall guards with some silicone and drilled holes in it then installed it right under the top lid. Zip ties passed through the choya woods numerous holes, then right up to the plastic wall guard above. Suction cups would never hold the weight of the big piece of choya.

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Looking sharp chickie!! I love it.

5. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Yep, meeeee tooooo! I wasn't at all fond of my 55G. Traded it in for a 75G, which is 48" x 18" X 21"high. I also have a 40B, that I like much better than the 55G. I wouldn't mind trading it in for a 65G, though.....Love the size, but wish it were a little taller.

I wonder if I could get those plastic door hooks with the sticky backs & use some fishing wire to suspend the choya. Do you think that would work? I just got a BEAUTIFUL piece of choya from Vicki, that I am using in the 75G, but I have my older 18" piece & a 12" piece that I would like to use, too.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

I know I showed Chrispy how I did the plastic at the top Kathy. She decided not to do that and just drilled holes in the lip of the tank instead. So that might work for you too since the tanks already in use.

7. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

yes, vicki did show me how to do that but i needed to get my tank up and running quick and didn't want to have to wait a few days for the silicon to cure and the smell to go away. the drilling around the plastic lip is easy to do you just have to make sure you use a small enough bit and also have to make sure you don't push down TOO hard or put too much pressure on it because i think it could snap. i have holes drilled in it all the way around at maybe 2" intervals or something like that. the only place i didn't was along the front but one of these days i'll remember to do it when i'm doing a deep clean. it's very handy to have them.

8. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

9. shmama

shmama Guest

:giverose: Your new setup looks like Crab Eutopia to me! If I were a hermie, I would want to live there! I bet they have a great time with all the climbers & everything & the bubbler pool area looks very nice too with the stones underneath. Good Job my friend! :icon_sunny:

10. CrabbyChris22

i'm sorry crabaddict, i think your tank looks AMAZING. i apologize for not responding. i like that area you've sectioned off w/ the plexiglass for the water dishes. i need to get me some plexiglass for sectioning the substrates and i want to play around with them for second (third and more) levels as well.

yeah, that tank looks pretty fun, i just pulled up all the photos again.

11. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Why thank you my crabbie friends! It means a lot to me knowing that you all approve... we have the best crabbers on the web here!

No need to apologize Chris!
    Chris, the plexiglass section holding the pebbles is actually a tray. I decided to go with that because the crabs really wet down the substrate a lot... maybe that's why my substrate would get musty quickly? I don't know, I'm trying everything I can possibly think of, lol!

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

You're losing it chickie, I did comment!!

13. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

LOL, You just snuck that in now! Yeah ok, maybe I am losing it :hermez:

14. vckums

vckums Moderator

LOL notice the date on it :kissflowers:

I already wanna redo mine

15. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Awww, that's kewl! :airkiss:

Speaking about date and times, it's all out of whack for me. It says that I post or people reply at 3 or 5 am, meanwhile it's noon.

16. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

god i really need to redo my 29 gallon. that'll be a pain in the :shhhh: . *sigh* well, i gotta do it sometime. I tink the crabs are getting bored of the old setup, but i like it, it's nice and simple. lol.

17. CrabbyChris22

i noticed that too with the time Crabaddict, a little while back. go to Profile and then to Look and Layout Preferences and fix your time thing. what has to go there is a + or - and the number of hours you are away from GMT (Grenwich Mean Time, the constant time). like for example, on the east coast we are -4, 4 hours behind GMT or GMT minus 4 hours.

the tray idea is a great idea. so its just a plastic tray you put on top the EE and lined the bottom with gravel to hold the dishes in place? that's pretty cool. i still want to get either plexi or plastic though to separate the substrates. i hate it when they start mixing and it's not a nice neat line anymore.

18. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Oh ok, that explains the off time. I'll go fix that now, thanks Chris!

Yup it's a tray that I made out of plexiglass and aquarium silicone to the specs of my tank. I sure hope it helps with oversaturation of the substrate. This time I used 6 bricks of EE and mixed it with calci sand (2 bags). The crabs seem to enjoy picking out the calcium sand from it... it's cute watching them do that!

19. vckums

vckums Moderator

Its in your settings..lemme see if I can tweak it

20. vckums

vckums Moderator

how many hours is it off for you? Im in Cali and I have to set mine on the forum to -8
    Yours is set at 20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.