1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nesting

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Iblab crab, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

Another interesting behavior.I use a sponge caddy instead of moss.I put in 4 small pcs. and the crabs like sitting in there and eat the sponge and sleep. Recently I look in the tank and they had shredded the sponge into a large puff ball, small pcs. but stuck together.They fluff it up and sleep in it.
    Great for all those old sponges nobody uses in the water dish. Good for humidity and nutritous too. I boiled it in salt water so the sponge does not mold and always smells fresh.
    IBlab crab

2. imported_Donna M

imported_Donna M (Micro Crab)

Pretty cool. Sounds like your crabbies are loving that humid little nesting area!

Thanks for posting this.  :yes2:

3. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

I do not care for moss or ee. I think this is how mites infest a tank {besides new crabs with mites).I have never had mites in my tank.I always freeze bark and leaves before putting in the tank. I do not think crabbers should totally dismiss natural sponge in the tank my crabs love eating it.Thank you for your comment.
    IBlab crab

4. Frostfire

Frostfire "Never Molted"

You make some very good points. I may have to try some sponges sometime in a little basket or something, it sounds like something the crabs would make good use of.

5. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

I bought a very large sea sponge from a beach shop and squeezed it into an upside down coconut hut and misted it,just to add something new to the tank. The crabs instantly were climbing all over it.
    IBlab crab

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Cool Idea!  Just reme4mber to keep an eye on the inside of the coconut to make sure it doesn't start to mildew from the wet sponge.  :flower:

7. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

Jellybean, The coconut w/sponge is not something I leave in the tank(1 or 2 days),it is a temporary activity and I only mist the large sponge not soak it. The sponge caddy I do leave in and have been using it for a long time,never any mold. Sponges tend to dry out quick.
    IBlab crab