1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needing some uber help here!

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by kissmeimgone, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

Okay these are three completely random questions..

Q1: I read on the safelist that hermies can eat honeydew melon.. I saw a huge thing of it was a pretty decent price at my grocery store..How on earth do I serve it to my crabs? Ive never ate any of it before..So Im clueless lol

Q2: I recently bought freeze-dried fruits with no sugars or preservatives and how would I serve them to my crabbies..? With a little water or none?
    And is freeze-dried okay for them?

Q3: If freeze-dried fruits are okay for them, how can I freeze dry my own fruits and veggies?

All help will be uber appreciated!! ^.^

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

You can cut some chunks up of the honey dew and serve it that way. You can also freeze the leftover pieces for future use.

You can't freeze dry, but you can dehydrate using a dehydrator. You can soak dehydrated food in some warm dechlorinated water or serve as is.

3. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

Thanks so much ^.^ Really appreciate it vckums

4. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

You actually can freeze dry your own! If you cut the things into thin slices and leave them off a tray for a few weeks in the freezer it works. It kinds of freezer burns off all the excess moisture. I did my own catfish (just a small amount) and my hermies (and my mice, and my cats) love it.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

6. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

I know it isn't technical freeze drying, I just meant the results of "freeze drying" it at home would be similar to commercially freeze dried items. For example, dehydrated apple is hard and takes a while to rehydrate. But when you "freeze dry" it at home it will stay the same shape and colour and rehydrate simply by dipping it in water. Which is just like commercially freeze dried items, correct?

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Dehydrated foods are typically pretty hard. Freeze dried foods are soft and squishable, yet dry. Freezing food in a freezer is jsut freezing it then letting it defrost.

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I have to agree with Vicki all the way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.