1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need UTH advice

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by imported_Donna M, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_Donna M

imported_Donna M (Micro Crab)

I'm considering switching my heat source from a heat bulb to a UTH. I was hoping someone could help me with some questions:

- The instructions for one brand of UTH states that if the unit is mounted underneath the tank, the substrate cannot be any deeper than 2" or so. (The instructions, of course, are written assuming a reptile will be in the tank.) Since crabitat substrate must be deeper than 2", do I need to worry about overheating and/or stress cracking of the tank?

- For a 20 gallon tank, a "small" size UTH is recommended. Do you think something that small will really heat the tank sufficiently? These heat pads aren't cheap, so if I buy one, I want to make sure to get the right size.

- If mounted underneath, doesn't it get too hot when the crabs dig way down to molt?

I would appreciate any input on this topic! Thanks!

2. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

Donna, when I first got crabs and before I got my aquarium, I kept my 2 crabs in a glass bowl with a plastic lid. Underneath that bowl I put a heating pad to heat. (I couldn't afford other things.) My 1 crab must have dug down to molt, and although the pad was on low, the crab died. I'm not sure the heating pad killed it, but I have seen on this site to put the heater on the side.

These are my experiences, and, needless to say, I don't heat from the bottom any more, and never will.

Just my experience, maybe it will help.

Debbie

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

In the winter I use two large UTH's with a temp control attached. It works good with a 50-75 watt Nite Glo bulb. I have a 75 gallon tank and my son had the UTH'S on his tank he wasn't using anymore. When I was using a 55 gallon tank I only used one, but it wasn't enough without using a heat light.

Mine are mounted on the back of my tank with the bottom of the UTH covering about two inches of the substrate. They can be mounted and then removed again. When you put the UTH on the glass, don't press it down really good in case you do have to re-position it. If you do, remove it slowly, pulling gently.

During the day I have my flu erescent hood lights on for heat, and have my UTH'S turned on the low setting of the electric thermostat control. Just make sure you get a large enough one for your tank wattage wise.
    Also, don't tear the packaging if you can help it in case you need to take it back to the store. :flower: :flower:

4. imported_Donna M

Thanks, Debbie. So sorry to hear about your crab. That's exactly what I was afraid of.

JellyBean: I was trying to get away from the constant red or blue light glowing in my living room. I'm going to try a medium UTH and mount it on the side or back, and see how that goes. I appreciate your input!

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have a 55 gallon and my house gets really cold, I mean really cold! I have 3 uth's on my back side. one large on one end and one extra small and small stacks on top of each other on the other end, so if gets to the to cold time and the large don't cut it I have more heat I also have a 15 watt light and 15 watt moon glo light I switch for day & night! People don't know if I'm up at night watching t.v. or if we are home or what!!!

6. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

I use an Ultratherm uth. Works really well on keeping the tank nice and warm in a drafty room. I have one that covers the entire length of my tank (back mounted). I control the temp using a lamp dimmer you find at a hardware store. Best thing about ultratherms is you can move it from tank to tank, it does not permanently stick on.
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-heat-pads

Made my temps go from 73f to 85f on full blast in a 65f room.

Here is the lamp dimmer:
    http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
    Much cheaper and does the same job as a ZooMed rheostat.

7. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Forgot to add I also insulate the walls of my tank using insulation board. The manufacturer recommends it. It's not recommended to cover uth made by Zoomed, zilla etc.

8. imported_Donna M

Wow, ScoobDo, your house really must get cold if you have all that on your tank! Do you place UTHs on your own body to keep warm also?? Kidding! LOL!

Thanks for the info and the links, CrabAddict. I was not crazy about the idea of sticking a UTH to my brand new tank, so I'm VERY glad you mentioned the Ultratherm heat pads. I'm heading to their website next to check out the sizes they offer. Great idea about the dimmer switch, too!

9. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

nope i have 23 lb cat that keeps my feet warm! yes my living room is very cold! my new windows are nothing but BLEEP!

10. DEBBIE

What size would you recommend I get for a ten gallon tank? They start at 6"x11" and go up. Would you recommend one that covers the whole back of my tank? Thanks for the help.

Debbie

11. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

On my 10g ISO tank I have the 22 Watt/11x17. The dimensions on your 10 are 20x10x12 so it does take up most of the back. For $7 more than the 6x11 you will have more Watts to keep your tank warm. I highly recommend getting a lamp dimmer for adjustments.

12. DEBBIE

Thanks, the only other question is, when I have temp in home on 70 degrees, will that be too much or is that why you recommend the dimmer?

I live in NC and we do get cold but not like in northern states where it stays cold a lot more.

Thanks again for the help!

Debbie

13. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Being that hermit crabs come from parts of the world ie Carribean, that are hot 70 degrees is really not that hot for them at all. They are use to temp fluctuations ranging from 100-80 degrees during the day and 80-70 degrees at night.

I suggested the lamp dimmer because you can adjust the temp inside your tank if it gets too hot. My homes thermostat is set to 72 comfortable for me, but a bit too cool for my crabs. I keep my tank around 78-84. If you don't have a thermometer I suggest you get one so you know how hot or how cold your tank is (inside).

14. DEBBIE

Hi CrabAddict. I understand what you're saying about the crabs being used to fluctuations in temperature, and yes I do have both temp and humidity gauges, my humidity is in range but the temps are a little low for what I think they need to be happy.

The idea to ad a dimmer to adjust temps is genius. Thanks so much for all the help.

Debbie

15. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Yup I agree your current temps are a bit low to keep them happy. Let us know how the ultratherm turns out for you. Oh and you could always use insulation (ultratherm only) if you need more heat.

16. DEBBIE

I don't know about insulation; I know I read that you use it, can you tell me about it please?

Thanks, Debbie

17. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

The temp should never go above 85. Even that is a little high. Mine stays between 76-78 is an ideal temp. Humidity should'nt go above 80.

18. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Debbie, ultratherm recommends polystyrene insulation to be used over their heating pads. You can find the insulation boards in your local home improvement store like home depot. They come in large sheets that are pink, blue or green in the insulation aisle. You can cut it to size and tape it on to your tank.

Trixie, some spots in my tank especially near my uth are more than the recommended 80*f. My exotics are definitely more active since increasing my temp and rh to 85. My pp's don't seem to mind the extra heat and humidity either:)

19. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

My humidity is always about 84-85%. I cant get it any lower than that. I think that is why they spend so much time off of the ground. They are always in the caddy. on all of the grapevine, basking ledge,even on the screen upside down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.