1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help identifying these hermies

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by CJ, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] Hi, Everyone!
    Went pet supply shopping today and came home with some new friends...can you help me identify correctly what species they may be?

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are both missing the tips of their front legs, their pinchers all seem fine. They are in iso now and have been eating, drinking and destressing in the EE.

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Oooh, those really look like Cavs to me -- maybe Ruggies, but I think they're Cavipes. Nice find! Kerie will be able to tell you for sure. [​IMG]

3. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

BEAUTIFUL hermie!

4. CJ

I went to get a pleco for my fish tank when on my way to the fish section,(right next to the hermies, of course), the hermies were all being removed from their crabitat for a weekly health check and a quick rinse. The salesclerk told me they do this to make sure the crabs are all okay. They had quite a few crabs. Many in natural shells instead of painted ones. They try to keep the humidity 70 percent or higher and the temp about 75 degrees.

(Their crabitat looks pretty good, as pet stores go. It was nice to see they had carrots for the hermies to munch on as well as crushed-up pelleted food for the babies. The bottom of the tank is EE, and they have a 3-story tree for the hermies to climb on.)

All the crabs present were PP's, except these two. The salesclerk told me that everyone likes the purple colors of the big pinchers and the few they get in that are different colors are not so sought after. These two were a little rougher looking, missing the tips of their legs and all...well, I brought them home.

They have been destressing in iso under the EE since last night after eating and drinking. I hope they're doing okay.

The pics don't show the exact colors as I didn't want to put a flash on and the pics were taken with just my kitchen lighting. Thanks for your help in identifying them.

5. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Cavipes for certain. They're really lovely!

6. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

I don't know what flavor they are but they are CUTE! I found a page that shows the diff. kinds side by side. It shows the diff. between eyestalks and whatnot. Maybe it'll help if I ever find any guys that aren't PP's or Straws!

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pages/species.jpg

Toodles

7. pineapplemama

Well, since I didn't want to cook we went to Pancho's...

and I noticed a little pet shop in the shopping center...didn't even know it existed...so of course I had to go peek...

There were 3 hermies in a really dry...no lid tank..."They are not PP's!!" was the first thing I said...I'm pretty sure that they aren't Rugs 'cuz they have black feelers...I am pretty sure they aren't Cav's 'cuz of their eyes...in any case they are the spazziest crabs I have seen yet...of course I had to bring all three of them home...but I put them in and they managed to explore the whole tank in about 10 seconds...fast fast fast! Yeesh! Climbing all over everything...including each other...

do they sound like E's to y'all? I know I know pics are really the best...but...

[​IMG]

8. CJ

Crystal,
    Congrats on your new babies!!

Here are some pics of my E's. Do they look like these?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Spazzy little non-PPs from a non-chain pet store do indeed sound like Es. Here's a couple of my Es that look a little different than CJ's. CJ's pictures show the claw shape and eystalk shape better, which are better to go by than overall color. But sometimes it helps to see a range of "looks".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. pineapplemama

Well, after more photos I still think they are E's, but guess we'll have to wait for a positive id when i get pics...

...hmm...wonder if my mother-in-law would loan me her cam...asking if I can borrow her new cam to take pics not of my kids, but of my crabs...oh that outta go over REAL well...

but I think I'm gonna try it anyway..tee hee hee

11. CJ

[​IMG] LOL!! Crystal, once again, you're so funny!

My little E's are really small, and my local pet store is really small, too! These are the only kind of E's they get. These little green ones. Where our Petco doesn't seem to get any E's at all.

moire, your E's are so CUTE!!

12. pineapplemama

well, my hub went his mom's to work on a paper, our printer is out of ink, so he may remember to ask...I think I'll call and gently remind him... [​IMG]

13. happy_crabbies

happy_crabbies (Micro Crab)

Here are my E's...this is all they sell in the little locally owned petstore around here...they are pretty "spazzy" too [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. pineapplemama

So CUTE! I'm still pretty certain they are E's, but we'll know for sure when ... if... grr I ever get a camera!

Thanks for the Pics!

-Crystal

15. CJ

[​IMG]All of these little E's are so sweet!
    They surely are fun little crabs.
    And they are fast!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.