1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need protein sources

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Donna M, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

My crabs get lots of veggies, fruits, etc but I must admit they don't get enough protein. People tell me to feed the crabs what I eat, but I eat mostly carryout food and quick snacks. This is where I get confused. I understand that crabs aren't supposed to eat preservatives or table salt, but most human food is loaded with both. For instance, if I stop and get myself a couple of tacos, obviously I can't give them taco meat. I had a turkey pot pie the other night, but is the turkey safe to give them?

I eat a lot of chicken, but my crabbies don't seem so crazy about chicken. I scramble them an egg occasionally, which they eat sometimes.

If anyone could suggest more sources of protein, I would be most appreciative. I also need to keep things quick and easy. Are any prepared foods from websites a good source of protein?

Thanks!

Donna M

2. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I bought dried baby shrimp in the fish section at Walmart and my crab LOVE it!! They will sit in the bowl all night feasting on it!! Also, raw fish--salmon is a favorite of my brood!! Vckums store has some great selections as well as great prices (and she is very generous with samples!)

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

I'm going to say pass on the turkey from the pot pie. There's surely spices in the pot pie and that would be on the meat as well.

eggs
    fish
    shrimp
    crab
    oysters(fresh, not canned)
    chicken
    beef
    pork
    anchovies
    bonito fish flakes(dried fish pieces)

Ask your friends and family to save any spice free meats. Shrimp tails are awesome for them. Local grocery store, ask if they have any fish heads/tails that they throw away. can freeze for later use after cutting into smaller pieces. Go fishing, same thing.

4. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Mine go nuts over the dried baby shrimp from Walmart as well. Peanut butter is high in protein as well as nuts, the PB needs to be the natural, unsalted kind....if you have a small food processor, you could make your own by grinding up unsalted peanuts and adding some organic honey to sweeten it a bit. You should check out VCKUMS online store as well. She sent me a prize package that has some great protein sources in it...two kinds of shrimp, anchovies, dried powdered egg etc.

5. Donna M

Thank you all so much! You've given me some great ideas! It never occurred to me to get some raw fish or crab meat (on sale, of course!) and freeze it in single-servings. That's a great idea.

I looked at all the canned sardines, tuna, etc in the grocery store, but they ALL have salt.

Can crabs have bits of hamburger meat from a fast food meal?

Oh, and I got some of the dried baby shrimp and my crabs love them!

Thanks again. I feel better now that I have this information.

Donna M.

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Hamburger meat from a fast food meal is usually salted, peppered, and/or seasoned in some way. If you cook some ground beef at home, you can pinch off a little before you salt/season it and set it aside for the crabs....they can have raw ground beef too, but I wouldn't leave it in the tank long (peeewwww!)

7. Donna M

OK thanks.

8. List Of Demands

List Of Demands "First Molt In Progress"

mine prefer their hamburger meat raw, i've never seen them touch it cooked but they will sit all night and eat on it raw.

9. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

Mine love hard boiled eggs, and I give them some shell too for added calcium.

10. Donna M

I scrambled an egg for them a few times, but they don't seem too excited about it. I'll try hard boiled. Thanks!

11. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

I chopped up Sardines (packed in water) and Scamp kept going to the food dish for more. And the others came up from their UMW meeting to eat as well.

UMW = United Miner Workers :rolleyes:

12. Donna M

Thanks for the idea about the sardines, but I have looked at many cans of fish, meats and poulty, but couldn't find anything in the grocery store without salt and and/or without preservatives. Did you find your sardines in a special section or special store?

Thanks.

13. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

Mine absolutely love hard-boiled egg yolk...which is a great protein source! I also use a variety of Hikari-Bio Pure Freeze-Dried products that seem to provide a good amount of protein as well.

14. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

You sound like you're not too much of a cook. I don't cook for myself, so I'll be darned if I'll cook for crabs! Therefore, I have a few places where I can (and so can you, if you so choose) purchase great food at minimal cost:

thecrabbagepatch.com : not that much food is available at this site, but what they have is fantastic! The Hermit Crab Kibble, made by Blaze88, is considered a complete diet for LHC. Of course, nothing is really complete, but this is the best you can get. They also have wormcastings, where the worms are fed a special diet by the people that grow them. Crabs, even the ones that seem to eat nothing, usually go crazy for it.

The Happy Hermit has an extensive list of foods. What I especially like about them is that for I think $1 you can get a really good sampler. Saves on money as to what you should buy a regular amount for and food they won't touch. For example, I thought the Rose Petals sounded yummy, but no one told my little urchins. But no big deal-I think it cost me around a dime.

Welcome to El*s Shells!, For all of your hermit crab needs... sells mostly shells but also has some great food selections. Boy, do these places cut down on the dishes. All of these online stores (which by the way, have only organic food) are run by people that are members of this site and other hermit crab sites and all give very personalized service.

Good luck!!

15. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Also Vicki's store is GREAT! It has very low prices and fast shipping.

16. Donna M

Well, I found a small piece of fresh salmon at the grocery store, as well as some fresh beef cubes. Never thought I'd be cooking for my crabs, but I am now. My daughter would die laughing if she knew! I don't even cook for myself! LOL! But the crabbies seem to like both the salmon and the beef, so that's good. I just cooked it up, chopped it up in little pices, and froze it. So now all I have to do is take out a little bit at a time.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Donna M

17. alli'smommy

I LOVE Vickum's store, also!!! And it's great to know that I can 100% trust everything I buy from her!!!

18. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Did anybody mention peanut butter? That's my crabs' favorite source of protein.

19. alli'smommy

I know alot of people that feed their's peanut butter, but my picky eaters won't touch it!!

20. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Mine do... but it's always such a mess to clean up afterward... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.