1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help, with turtle, not crab.

Discussion in 'Adopt A Hermie - Save A Life, Adopt A Hermit Crab.' started by DaisyCrab, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I know this may be inappropriate to post here but I have very few options.

Long story short, my husband and I adopted a red-eared turtle 2 days ago. He's the size of a saucer plate. His previous home was unsuitable and he was not well taken care of.

We were told that he was coming with everything he needs. He did not. After reading up on him and finding out what he needs, we simply can't keep him.

He is wonderful, but he's not in our budget. He needs a home. I don't know how long he'll last without a proper set up. I thought maybe one of you or someone you know may be interested in him.

We live in Oshawa, ON. Close to Toronto.

2. LSHermies

LSHermies (Micro Crab)

He needs a pond for that size. I just took ours to my dads backyard pond. I am all the way in California. Hope you find a home for him.
    If you have a PetCo they will take him. They have to be at least 4 inches across for them to take them. Our turtle was given to us by a daycare girl that was moving and could not take it. He out grew his 10 gallon tank...and we took him to my Dads...thus how we got into hermit crabs...that are no longer in a 10 gallon...but I am not buying an animal for the 10..it went in the attic and may be needed someday as a iso tank.

3. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

As far as I know my husband is dropping him off at someones house tonight that has reptiles. I hope he will be taken care of.

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Keep us updated!

5. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I guess nobody here knows much about turtles. I had one when I was in high school that died, I'm sure now because my lack of knowledge as to his basic requirements. I'm glad your husband can give him to someone who knows his needs, and I hope he lives a long and healthy life.

6. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

I have an Eastern Box Turtle - a land turtle that has needs totally different from a red-eared. He is my classroom pet that comes home with me on weekends.:cool:

7. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

We found Tonka and amazing home. The man that took him specializes in turtles. He also owns iguana's, tarantula's, gecko's.

He also said that Tonka hadn't been properly taken care of for a long time. He told my husband that we were on a great start with him, however, Tonka is really too big to be in an aquarium and should be in a backyard pond. SO, after he is back to tip top health, that's where he'll be going.

I'm very glad I came across this man, I know that Tonka is going to live a long & spoiled life now!

8. LSHermies

LSHermies (Micro Crab)

Great news yegh for Tonka!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.